Male HQ

Covid Situation in SG discussion (compiled)

Guest Sianz

Assume percentage of covid infected who need to be warded in ICU is 6% (upper limit)

In order not to fill up all 1000 ICU beds, we must keep below 16,000 cases. Assume ICU patients need to be in ICU for 1 week. So max number of cases per day is about 2,200 for an entire week.

This is a simplistic rough estimate. The government seems prepared for cases to go up to 3000 per day. But let's hope we won't get there and stretch our medical resources too thin.

Edited by Derren

On 9/14/2021 at 7:20 AM, Guest Wtf said:

Thanks for the lolz.

I’m done with you because you have no logical reasoning, can’t deal with facts and are basically just repeating ‘I hope you and your parents die from COVID’, which is pretty boring the third, fourth and fifth time. Newsflash: we won’t.

Enjoy life in your bunker.

Agreed  ! Haters will always be haters. They have an axe to grind  with the government and are totally irrational. No matter what the government has done, it will always be wrong in their eyes. They claimed to be for the people yet it's all for their own personal selfish agenda. Such losers ! So yeah, agree that they can rot away like hell while the whole country progresses forward. 

On 9/14/2021 at 7:20 AM, Guest Wtf said:

Thanks for the lolz.

I’m done with you because you have no logical reasoning, can’t deal with facts and are basically just repeating ‘I hope you and your parents die from COVID’, which is pretty boring the third, fourth and fifth time. Newsflash: we won’t.

Enjoy life in your bunker.

LOL! "Newsflash": YOU won't and you seems so sure about it? 

Spoken like someone who seems to be powerful enough to swing all the medical attention to you when the need arise. I guess that's why you aren't worried since it is other people's lives whom you are staking, and not your own. 

善有善报,恶有恶报,此时不报,时辰未到。God and karma re all watching. You will be judged sooner or later, to see if you are prioritizing human lives first, or your money. 

On 9/14/2021 at 12:47 PM, Guest Wtf said:

how much hospital capacity do you think Singapore has? Do you know that there are 1,000 icu beds reserved for COVID patients, of which 7 are currently being used?

It’s good to be aware of what’s happening but there is also no need to panic unnecessarily.

On the number of ICU beds, do you think there will be enough to cater to the entire population, if another outbreak happens in the dorms again, and this time with the local community spread adding on to the numbers? Or will those foreign workers take priority over the local citizens when it comes to ICU beds, since local citizens are meant as sheeps for sale and slaughter for people like you? Don't forget about those covid19 infected tycoons who will fly into Singapore from places like India or Indonesia just so that they can get better medical attention here, especially since the floodgates are now again wide open. And that's not even forgetting that the entire Europe can come into Singapore through Germany now. 

So you think 1000 beds is enough? Lol! Thanks for that laugh. But of course, powerful people dun see the need to panic. 

On 9/14/2021 at 1:43 PM, Derren said:

Assume percentage of covid infected who need to be warded in ICU is 6% (upper limit)

In order not to fill up all 1000 ICU beds, we must keep below 16,000 cases. Assume ICU patients need to be in ICU for 1 week. So max number of cases per day is about 2,200 for an entire week.

This is a simplistic rough estimate. The government seems prepared for cases to go up to 3000 per day. But let's hope we won't get there and stretch our medical resources too thin.

How do you get to 6%?

MOH data shows that in last 28 days, 0.1% of cases end up in ICU, 1.6% require oxygen supplementation. Hope those facts help you feel a bit better. 

On 9/14/2021 at 2:42 PM, jlone said:

If another big outbreak happen again, then maybe they will have to make use of the expo halls again.

But let's hope this will not happen.

Not sure if got lockdown, HA or return of the NO dining restriction again ...

On 9/14/2021 at 3:27 PM, Guest Wtf said:

How do you get to 6%?

MOH data shows that in last 28 days, 0.1% of cases end up in ICU, 1.6% require oxygen supplementation. Hope those facts help you feel a bit better. 

"Epidemiological studies have shown that 6 to 10% of patients develop a more severe form of COVID-19 and will require admission to the intensive care unit (ICU) due to acute hypoxemic respiratory failure"

(https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0249038

But I recognise that this is probably referring to pre-vaccine days.

These are early days still. We don't know what the figure will eventually be. Let's pray that the figure will indeed keep to 0.1% even at the peak of the transmission wave.

Edited by Derren

On 9/14/2021 at 5:20 PM, Derren said:

"Epidemiological studies have shown that 6 to 10% of patients develop a more severe form of COVID-19 and will require admission to the intensive care unit (ICU) due to acute hypoxemic respiratory failure"

(https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0249038

But I recognise that this is probably referring to pre-vaccine days. 

Let's pray that the figure here in SG will indeed keep to 0.1% even at the peak of the transmission wave.

also note that that study is talking about 6-10% of patients NOT 6-10% of infected, meaning 6-10% of those already in hospital, not 6-10% of the total number of cases. This is a massive difference. 

On 9/14/2021 at 5:38 PM, Guest Wtf said:

also note that that study is talking about 6-10% of patients NOT 6-10% of infected, meaning 6-10% of those already in hospital, not 6-10% of the total number of cases. This is a massive difference. 

I get your point, but I submit to you that it's not exactly clear what they refer to by the term "patient".

Compare it with: 

"COVID-19 is mild or asymptomatic in about 80–90% of cases [4]. Rates for the cases requiring intensive care are low, with 10–20% being admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU), 3–10% requiring intubation, and 2–5% dead"

https://jintensivecare.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40560-021-00527-x

Here, I think "cases" very likely means "infected". So I have reason to think the 6% figure in the earlier reference is talking about "infected cases" rather than the "people admitted into the hospital for covid". 

On 9/14/2021 at 6:10 PM, Derren said:

I get your point, but I submit to you that it's not exactly clear what they refer to by the term "patient".

Compare it with: 

"COVID-19 is mild or asymptomatic in about 80–90% of cases [4]. Rates for the cases requiring intensive care are low, with 10–20% being admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU), 3–10% requiring intubation, and 2–5% dead"

https://jintensivecare.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40560-021-00527-x

Here, I think "cases" very likely means "infected". So I have reason to think the 6% figure in the earlier reference is talking about "infected cases" rather than the "people admitted into the hospital for covid". 

you are mixing and matching different studies and assuming they all apply common methodologies. They don’t.

The first study you quoted was from Florida and clearly referred to patients, not to total cases.

The quote you just shared is from a completely separate study from South Korea and the specific quote you shared is actually referring to a study from China in April 2020 which, again, is talking about patients. Here is the link from the footnote to the quote you shared:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032

On 9/14/2021 at 6:25 PM, Guest Wtf said:

you are mixing and matching different studies and assuming they all apply common methodologies. They don’t.

The first study you quoted was from Florida and clearly referred to patients, not to total cases.

The quote you just shared is from a completely separate study from South Korea and the specific quote you shared is actually referring to a study from China in April 2020 which, again, is talking about patients. Here is the link from the footnote to the quote you shared:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032

Actually I did look up the references of the two studies and they both refer to China.

On 9/14/2021 at 8:47 PM, Derren said:

Actually I did look up the references of the two studies and they both refer to China.

i am not sure if you are just disagreeing with me for the sake of it?

The first study you linked to is titled:

‘ICU outcomes and survival in patients with severe COVID-19 in the largest health care system in central Florida’

The second study you linked to:

‘Prediction of patients requiring intensive care for COVID-19: development and validation of an integer-based score using data from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of South Korea’

and the quote you made from the second study is derived from the China study. 

Anyway, the point is that your suggestion of 6% of infected cases needing to go to ICU is not backed up by any evidence and is massively overstating the case based on all evidence.

if this 6% were true, how would Singapore be only seeing 0.1% of cases needing to go to ICU? The WHO and every government in the world would be asking Singapore what the secret is. 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:45 PM, Guest Wtf said:

i am not sure if you are just disagreeing with me for the sake of it?

The first study you linked to is titled:

‘ICU outcomes and survival in patients with severe COVID-19 in the largest health care system in central Florida’

The second study you linked to:

‘Prediction of patients requiring intensive care for COVID-19: development and validation of an integer-based score using data from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of South Korea’

and the quote you made from the second study is derived from the China study. 

You asked me how I got the 6% figure and I answered it, that is all. 

The figures I quoted from both studies are derived from China studies.

Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and Important Lessons From the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Outbreak in China: Summary of a Report of 72314 Cases From the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA. 2020;323(13):1239–42. Epub 2020/02/25. pmid:32091533.

Guan W, Ni Z, Hu Y, Liang W, Ou C, He J, et al. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. New England J Med. 2020;382:1708–20.

In the South Korean study, it says that "COVID-19 is mild or asymptomatic in about 80–90% of cases." The "cases" here is unlikely to mean those already admitted into hospital wards, since only those who are severely ill would require hospitalisation. 

On 9/14/2021 at 9:49 PM, Guest Wtf said:

Anyway, the point is that your suggestion of 6% of infected cases needing to go to ICU is not backed up by any evidence and is massively overstating the case based on all evidence.

if this 6% were true, how would Singapore be only seeing 0.1% of cases needing to go to ICU? The WHO and every government in the world would be asking Singapore what the secret is. 

In an earlier post, I conceded that even if correct, the 6% figure is pre-vaccination. Now that we have a high vaccination rate, this figure should be a lot lower.

But these are early days yet to tell what that figure really is. There is evidence to suggest that the efficacy of the vaccines wane with each passing month. Will the ICU rate remain at 0.1%?

I hope so too!

Edited by Derren

On 9/15/2021 at 1:16 AM, yuquidam said:

OMGosh....!!

Yeah .... and can still see how some people even here on this thread trying to argue argue argue all the way, doing so much trying to convince us that we are all on the right track. Why? Because he is powerful enough to be very sure that he and his family will not be on the casualty list. 

On 9/15/2021 at 12:52 AM, mate69 said:

837 new Covid-19 cases in S'pore; new cluster at All Saints Home in Jurong East

837 cases? G said no 2000 not serious? So we are on the right track to 4 figure cases soon.

Just wondering ... the debate earlier ... which ever "party" - why the need to defend? Is it a pro garmen support thing or just a personal pride thing?

Peace .... on the right track to 5,000! 🙌

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/next-few-weeks-critical-as-singapore-faces-unprecedented-covid-19-situation-ong-ye

" It will be an unprecedented accomplishment for Singapore to ride out the current wave of infections without paying a price in human lives, said Health Minister Ong Ye Kung on Wednesday (Sept 15)" ..... meaning he knows some Singaporeans will die but he is still ok to open up the economy.

I guess if you are rich, powerful and privileged enough to swing all the medical attention to you and your family in times of need, you can do what you want to risk other people's lives away. 

On 9/15/2021 at 7:28 PM, Guest Guest said:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/next-few-weeks-critical-as-singapore-faces-unprecedented-covid-19-situation-ong-ye

" It will be an unprecedented accomplishment for Singapore to ride out the current wave of infections without paying a price in human lives, said Health Minister Ong Ye Kung on Wednesday (Sept 15)" ..... meaning he knows some Singaporeans will die but he is still ok to open up the economy.

I guess if you are rich, powerful and privileged enough to swing all the medical attention to you and your family in times of need, you can do what you want to risk other people's lives away. 

To him i think open up the economy is more important than people life.

On 9/15/2021 at 8:37 PM, leo yok loo said:

We have hawker ctr cluster, bus interchange cluster, dorm cluster etc..

Interestingly, WM never go to these places, so to them 800 or 8000 also is ok.

showing in Singapore...

Elysium Poster.jpg

On 9/15/2021 at 10:44 PM, leo yok loo said:

People life worth nothing to them.

They even can look down on a NCMP(from RI) in parliament. Open up economy is good, later can claim credit, can boast.

They always look down on people, not the first time i guess.

SINGAPORE — From 15 September (Wednesday), Singapore will expand its COVID-19 Home Recovery scheme, to allow more infected individuals to self-isolate, and take the necessary health precautions at home with telehealth monitoring support.

The Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a media release on Tuesday that Home Recovery will be the default care management model for infected individuals who are:

Fully vaccinated;

Aged 12 to 50 years old;

Have no or mild symptoms;

Have no severe co-morbidities or illnesses; 

Have no household members who are more than 80 years old, or are in one of the vulnerable groups (e.g. pregnant individuals; with weakened immune response; or with multiple co-morbidities).

Parents of children who test positive for COVID-19 can also bring their children home to recover, if the child is at least five years old and has no co-morbidities or underlying illnesses. However, for the child’s safety, a clinical assessment would first have to be done at a hospital before the child can return home to recover.

MOH has listed 10 important steps to take, should one gets tested positive for COVID-19. They are:

While waiting for polymerase chain reaction test result: Patients should immediately return home via private transport (car or taxi) and self-isolate at home until they receive their results. They should physically distance themselves from others and keep their masks on. They should also isolate themselves in a room with an attached bathroom. They will generally be informed of their results within 24 to 48 hours; alternatively they may check their results via the HealthHub app.

Upon notification of COVID-positive result: Patients should continue to isolate themselves in a room, and not have any physical contact with household members. The room should be well-ventilated, and windows should be kept open.

If you fulfil the Home Recovery criteria: Patients can expect to receive an SMS within 24 hours, with a link to provide their details, to start their Home Recovery safely, If they are unsuitable for Home Recovery, MOH will make the arrangements for them to recover at a community care facility or hospital.

Thermometer and pulse oximeter: Those patients who have a thermometer and a pulse oximeter at home should start monitoring their temperature, pulse rate and oxygen saturation rate at least once a day. If they do not have the two items, a Care Pack will be sent to them. When the Care Pack is delivered to them, they can pass their TraceTogether token to the officer, so that close contacts can be identified for contact-tracing purposes.

Household members: Patients must inform all their household members living in the same residential address to register themselves as close contacts via the link sent to them. This is so that an electronic Quarantine Order (QO) can be issued to them.

Start of Home Recovery: A telemedicine provider will conduct an initial remote assessment with patients to ensure they are clinically well. An officer - called a Home Recovery Buddy - will be in touch to walk the patients through the journey. 

Do not leave the room during the Home Recovery period: The patients should not receive visitors to their household during this period. They should maintain a high level of personal hygiene by washing their hands regularly with soap.They should perform contactless transactions to get food/groceries delivered for the household, and ensure items are bagged securely to reduce exposure to others.

Monitor health condition diligently every day: Patients are to submit their temperature, pulse rate and oxygen saturation rate readings at least once a day via the link provided in their Home Recovery Booklet. They may contact their designated telemedicine provider if they are feeling unwell, or call 995 in the event of medical emergencies.

PCR test on Day Six: Patients can opt to take a PCR test on Day Six of their Home Recovery to assess their recovery status. They can contact their designated telemedicine provider for the PCR test which will be done at their home. If the test is negative or shows low viral load, they are discharged and can resume daily activities on Day Seven. Otherwise, they should continue to isolate themselves until Day 10, when they will be discharged so long as they are well.

After discharge from Home Recovery: Patients are advised to minimise social interactions for the next seven days. If they require more rest, they should approach their telemedicine provider for a medical certificate.

Patients should note that in the event that they are undergoing Home Recovery and household members are on Quarantine Order (QO), they may be discharged earlier than the household members. 

MOH said that this is not illogical, because for a fully-vaccinated infected individual, the viral load will decrease very quickly and typically clears by Day Seven. Whereas for someone exposed to the virus and on QO, the viral load may take up to 10 days to build up and for the illness to manifest itself.

Quarantine Order for household contacts of patients

Household contacts of COVID-19 patients must register themselves via this online portal, and provide the last date of exposure with the COVID-19 patients and a contact number. 

An electronic Quarantine Order (eQO) will be sent to registrants to indicate the quarantine period and instructions to book PCR tests at the start and end of the 10-day QO. They should make their own way to a nearby Regional Screening Centre to take their PCR tests. 

At the Regional Screening Centre, they will collect free Antigen Rapid Test (ART) kits, and are required to do a self-administered ART every day and report their ART results by 12 noon.

On Day 10 of their quarantine, if their exit PCR test is negative, their will receive a rescindment SMS to on their QO. They are advised to continue with daily self-administered ART from Days 11 to 14.

Should they receive a Health Risk Warning or Health Risk Alert at the same time as the EQO, the quarantine will take precedence.

To talk n preset all these are easy. Not everybody has an attached bathroom at home or can afford to take a cab when sick

The cases may shoot up even more if people were to have recovery at home becos not everyone will stick to the rules.

Edited by jlone

On 9/16/2021 at 1:35 PM, jlone said:

To talk n preset all these are easy. Not everybody has an attached bathroom at home or can afford to take a cab when sick

The cases may shoot up even more if people were to have recovery at home becos not everyone will stick to the rules.

To them, everyone can afford a house with masterbed room and taking taxi is very cheap, all can afford.

Not long ago one joker said every school is a good school.

Cannot blame them since they live in ivory tower.

Edited by leo yok loo
Add on

On 9/16/2021 at 5:35 PM, leo yok loo said:

To them, everyone can afford a house with masterbed room and taking taxi is very cheap, all can afford.

Not long ago one joker said every school is a good school.

Cannot blame them since they live in ivory tower.

But now one of them says RI is a lousy school which produces illiterate students.... lol 

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/update-on-local-covid-19-situation-(16-sep-2021)

As of 16 September 2021, 12pm, the Ministry of Health has detected a total of 910 new cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore, with 803 in the community, 103 in the migrant worker dormitories and 4 imported cases.    

CONDITION OF HOSPITALISED CASES       

As of 16 September 2021, 12pm, 837 COVID-19 cases are currently warded in hospital. Most are well and under observation. There are currently 77 cases of serious illness requiring oxygen supplementation, and 12 in critical condition in the ICU. Of those who have fallen very ill, 69 are seniors above 60 years.   

2.   Case 71549, a 72 year-old female Singaporean, has passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection on 16 September 2021. She had developed symptoms on 4 September, and tested positive for COVID-19 infection on 6 September. She had not been vaccinated against COVID-19, and had a history of atypical chest pain, Graves’ disease, hypertension and dyslipidaemia. In total, 59 have passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection.

Broke that 900 barrier; increasing number of patients who are critically ill or in ICU; ONE MORE DEAD.

@GUEST WTF, SONGBOH? If the family of the dead had been reading this forum, I'd bet that they wishe the person who had died is your mother instead of theirs.

Jin sad … can imagine the family members of the deceased.

The almost hostile debate earlier … sigh! 

So we are on “the right track” …. garmen and its supporters no more feelings? 😱😔

On 9/17/2021 at 2:59 AM, Guest Guest said:

https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highlights/details/update-on-local-covid-19-situation-(16-sep-2021)

As of 16 September 2021, 12pm, the Ministry of Health has detected a total of 910 new cases of COVID-19 infection in Singapore, with 803 in the community, 103 in the migrant worker dormitories and 4 imported cases.    

As of 16 September 2021, 12pm, 837 COVID-19 cases are currently warded in hospital. Most are well and under observation. There are currently 77 cases of serious illness requiring oxygen supplementation, and 12 in critical condition in the ICU. Of those who have fallen very ill, 69 are seniors above 60 years.   

2.   Case 71549, a 72 year-old female Singaporean, has passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection on 16 September 2021. She had developed symptoms on 4 September, and tested positive for COVID-19 infection on 6 September. She had not been vaccinated against COVID-19, and had a history of atypical chest pain, Graves’ disease, hypertension and dyslipidaemia. In total, 59 have passed away from complications due to COVID-19 infection.

Broke that 900 barrier; increasing number of patients who are critically ill or in ICU; ONE MORE DEAD.

@GUEST WTF, SONGBOH? If the family of the dead had been reading this forum, I'd bet that they wishe the person who had died is your mother instead of theirs.

you are still obsessed with me what? 

i am sure the family of the latest death wished it was anybody else other than their mother and it’s tragic for the family but you do understand that people die everyday, right? How many people died yesterday in Singapore? What were the causes of death? How many of these would have been preventable? What about mental health, suicides, dengue, flu, obesity, lung cancer? What are you doing about all of these things?  You have lost all sense of perspective and are better of staying in your bunker.

I hope you are sanitizing your keyboard regularly and making sure to not go out. Why does the government need to force you to lockdown? Just do what you need to do for yourself. 

452 suicides reported in Singapore in 2020 amid Covid-19, highest since 2012: 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/452-suicides-reported-in-singapore-in-2020-amid-covid-19-highest-since-2012

800 flu-related deaths in a typical year, according to doctors, in Singapore, a country with a population of 5.7 million.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/singapore-prepares-long-term-life-death-with-covid-19-2021-08-17/

where are your tears for these people? Why were you not calling to lockdown for them? Like I said, get a sense of perspective. 

On 9/17/2021 at 9:22 AM, Guest Wtf said:

you are still obsessed with me what? 

i am sure the family of the latest death wished it was anybody else other than their mother and it’s tragic for the family but you do understand that people die everyday, right? How many people died yesterday in Singapore? What were the causes of death? How many of these would have been preventable? What about mental health, suicides, dengue, flu, obesity, lung cancer? What are you doing about all of these things?  You have lost all sense of perspective and are better of staying in your bunker.

I hope you are sanitizing your keyboard regularly and making sure to not go out. Why does the government need to force you to lockdown? Just do what you need to do for yourself. 

On 9/17/2021 at 9:30 AM, Guest Wtf said:

452 suicides reported in Singapore in 2020 amid Covid-19, highest since 2012: 

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/452-suicides-reported-in-singapore-in-2020-amid-covid-19-highest-since-2012

On 9/17/2021 at 9:36 AM, Guest Wtf said:

800 flu-related deaths in a typical year, according to doctors, in Singapore, a country with a population of 5.7 million.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/singapore-prepares-long-term-life-death-with-covid-19-2021-08-17/

where are your tears for these people? Why were you not calling to lockdown for them? Like I said, get a sense of perspective. 

The recent spike in these deaths is not due to flu; it is not due to suicide; They are as good as MURDER because people like you prioritize money much more than human lives. So why should ANYONE ELSE die because of what YOU like? You can ask others to get a sense of perspective. But let's hope you get a taste of karma and see how covid death in your own family taste first.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.