Male HQ

Monkeypox Virus Discussion (Racist & Idiotic post will be removed)

Guest Monkey Pox Beware

On 7/27/2022 at 10:39 PM, West93 said:

Whilst monkeypox is not a "pure 100% STD, the way the news reports about it are written makes it very much sound like one. 

Otherwise, why the focus on how 95% of the infected caught it through sexual intercourse? 

This has all the hallmarks of the HIV/AIDS societal stigma nonsense all over again. I guess humanity never learns. 

But yeah. Now's probably not a good time to be sexually promiscuous especially with foreign guys who are the most likely vectors introducing monkeypox into SG. 

er, you focus on the 95% because that is the vast majority of the cases. The point is not to stigmatize but to support the community that is making up the majority of the cases to understand what the risks are and to try and reduce spread. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/27/monkeypox-who-chief-advises-at-risk-men-reduce-number-sexual-partners

Guest Gays Just Wanna Have Fun

Forget this BS about Monkeypox! We just wanna have fun yeah! That is what we are: fun-loving, sex-loving, devil-may-care cute boys forever!

Guest No sex

No difference to me le. I hardly have gay sex for 15 years already. I can self pleasure. 

Really got so many gays getting daily sex meh? 

Very interesting. 

Where does all this gay sex activity happen? I wanna participateee 

Guest Jaded
On 7/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, Guest Gays Just Wanna Have Fun said:

Forget this BS about Monkeypox! We just wanna have fun yeah! That is what we are: fun-loving, sex-loving, devil-may-care cute boys forever!

I'm guessing you are just trolling for a laugh ? That is how mainstream society still sees the community: hedonistic, socially irresponsible sociopaths who fuck like rabbits and spread disease like vermin.

Forget pink dot and pride or whatnot for getting them to respect the community.

Cute boys? Only for a few years ba. And definitely not cute when your pretty face is scarred by monkeypox lesions.

On 7/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, Guest Why said:

why are you obsessing about towels, sheets or spa when 95% of infections are being spread through sexual activity? And why rollout vaccines to whole population when the infections are being spread this way? 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/monkeypox-moh-reaching-out-risk-population-including-those-engaging-high-risk-sexual-activities-2833721

Gyms and hotels generally give you clean sheets and towels so there is no issue here. And it is clear from the evidence that specific activities - sex - come with much higher risk and are responsible for the majority of cases. If you are having sex in the hotel spa or with your masseuse, then - yes - be cautious.  Otherwise, why focus on this?

It is better to focus on where the risk actually is and keep things in perspective, rather than speculating and spreading panic unnecessarily. 

Hello @Guest Why,

I think you got the wrong understanding or maybe I read what you said wrongly. Anyway, I want to emphasise again and clear to anyone here who read this. Monkey pox is not STD! What “Guest Why” said seems to imply that Monkey pox can only spread thru Sex, but this is wrong understanding! If Monkey pox is really spread thru sex activities only, then it will be considered as STD and more stigmas attached to us (or maybe you not one of us 😛 ), LGBTQI, Please go to the site below and read the details.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/monkeypox

WHO quoted “ Human-to-human transmission can result from close contact with respiratory secretions, skin lesions of an infected person or recently contaminated objects.”

So having massage is a close contact activities! Unless you tell me due to Covid19, now massage therapist wear gloves and patients have to wear clothings so no oil skin to skin massage is carried out?  Or you can tell me you very sure, you are aware that there won’t be any small cut or minor tiny cut on your body that will be exposed! I sometimes got some small cut on my legs, which I didn’t aware of lor…. Further to that, you have to make sure your therapist has no small cut lor and lucky due to Covid, nowadays therapists have to wear mask while working unless it is not happening in SG massage therapists ?

Edited by cityhallguy

On 7/28/2022 at 10:36 AM, cityhallguy said:

Hello @Guest Why,

I think you got the wrong understanding or maybe I read what you said wrongly. Anyway, I want to emphasise again and clear to anyone here who read this. Monkey pox is not STD! What “Guest Why” said seems to imply that Monkey pox can only spread thru Sex, but this is wrong understanding! If Monkey pox is really spread thru sex activities only, then it will be considered as STD and more stigmas attached to us (or maybe you not one of us 😛 ), LGBTQI, Please go to the site below and read the details.

WHO quoted “ Human-to-human transmission can result from close contact with respiratory secretions, skin lesions of an infected person or recently contaminated objects.”

So having massage is a close contact activities! Unless you tell me due to Covid19, now massage therapist wear gloves and patients have to wear clothings so no oil skin to skin massage is carried out?  Or you can tell me you very sure, you are aware that there won’t be any small cut or minor tiny cut on your body that will be exposed! I sometimes got some small cut on my legs, which I didn’t aware of lor…. Further to that, you have to make sure your therapist has no small cut lor and lucky due to Covid, nowadays therapists have to wear mask while working unless it is not happening in SG massage therapists ?

my point wasn’t that monkey pox was an STD or that it is only spread through sex - I never wrote that either of these things.

My point was that there are posters focussing on things like the infinitesimally smaller or even non-existent risk of spread via a clean towel at the gym, sheets from a staycation or some random cut at the barber. This kind of speculation and panic-spreading is not helpful and distracts from the point that the majority of cases are being spread through sexual contact and most cases are in the MSM community.

it is much more helpful to focus on discussing where the major risks are, sharing information responsibly, avoiding wild speculation (especially from @singalion) and taking responsibility for ourselves and our community. And if we can’t do that without being accused of stigmatising, then we run the risk of many more cases being spread. 

Am I the only who don't get why Guest Why and Singalion are upset with each other? Both are concerned about spread, just focus is on slightly different aspects. Just focus on the points discussed, no need to say who misses whose point mah.

Oh and on group fun, I do enjoy it but I may postpone it or for now limit to a smaller group of guys who I know better. I don't think the solution is total infinite abstention, it is to take responsible and reasonable precautions.

Guest Jaded
On 7/28/2022 at 10:36 AM, cityhallguy said:

Hello @Guest Why,

I get your point that it is not an STD because there are other means of transmission. Let me potentially open a can of worms: for those who are against emphasising the predominant spread of mpox through sex, is it because they want to continue practices like having multiple partners at saunas, by justifying that since mpox can also be spread through other means, there is no point to cut back on such activities? 

On 7/28/2022 at 1:31 PM, Guest Jaded said:

I get your point that it is not an STD because there are other means of transmission. Let me potentially open a can of worms: for those who are against emphasising the predominant spread of mpox through sex, is it because they want to continue practices like having multiple partners at saunas, by justifying that since mpox can also be spread through other means, there is no point to cut back on such activities? 

Saying it's not STD is because it is simply not an STD. It does not justify anything.

Anyone can go to sauna, not have sex, and still get Monkeypox. Why? Cos all it needs is skin to skin contact with infected lesions, or breathe in infected person's respiration, or touch shared surfaces. 

In a dark sauna, we can't even see a face clearly, no need to talk about spotting lesions and rashes. And none of us knows who touched who before they touched us. None of us are walking test kits, so we have no way of avoiding accidentally breathing in the droplets in the air, especially in confined spaces too.

So ya, I don't think there is any difference of opinion here. Saunas are higher risk areas. The only reason not to emphasize it's through sex or through gays is that it really isn't. Everyone, regardless of sexuality, needs to be mindful, and seek treatment and avoid others if you develop symptoms.

Edited by PlayersGroup

Whilst monkeypox is not a "pure 100% STD, the way the news reports about it are written makes it very much sound like one. 

Otherwise, why the focus on how 95% of the infected caught it through sexual intercourse? 

This has all the hallmarks of the HIV/AIDS societal stigma nonsense all over again. I guess humanity never learns. 

But yeah. Now's probably not a good time to be sexually promiscuous especially with foreign guys who are the most likely vectors introducing monkeypox into SG. 

hm, you are right,

but don't forget that plenty of Singaporeans or PRs also travel overseas and are the most likely vectors of spreading monkeypox into Singapore...

There were two such cases already who returned from overseas.

Don't assume Singaporeans do not frequent  sex parties, pride parades, rave sex parties, sex cruise ships overseas, clubs with darkrooms, have multiple partners per day or visit sauna in overseas countries...

On 7/28/2022 at 12:28 AM, Guest Whywhy said:

You are completely missing the point. 95% is significant even if it is suspected. 

Had the report been reversed, meaning if the report read transmission was suspected to have occured through non-sexual activity in 95% of those infected, then those who have high sex drive will feel more assured. But the reality is 95% infection is through sexual activity. 

You are the one taking snippets and misinterpreting. You said the infection could have spread by kissing and not by anal or oral penetration. Are anal and oral penetration not consider sexual activities? 

You should stop playing down sexual activity as a high risk of infection. 

Where have I been playing down or ruling out sexual activity as a risk of infection?

I never said that the infection spread by "kissing" and not by anal or oral penetration.

You are now totally making up things here!

What I said is that kissing is sufficient to catch monkeypox, same as close skin to skin contact (frottage) or getting infected body fluids onto your skin that enters into the body.

Anal or oral Sex does is not considered a close skin to skin contact???

The thing you don't get is that the data of 95% was gathered from just 528 samples out of 18,000 known infected cases.

I am doing the opposite actually than playing down, which is informing on the various means that monkeypox can pass from one infected person to another (and not just focus on sexual activity) but point to the other means of transmission.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:30 AM, Guest Why said:

it is much more helpful to focus on discussing where the major risks are, sharing information responsibly, avoiding wild speculation (especially from @singalion) and taking responsibility for ourselves and our community.

But that is what I actually did, namely sharing responsible information without any guessing or speculation

What was there on speculation or irresponsible what I wrote.

At no point I speculated anything.

Quoting health experts, doctors or news reports from CDC on the means of transmission of monkeypox is now speculation?

You are misleading people here that you can catch monkeypox only via sexual transmission and keep silent on the other ways how you can catch monkeypox, such as  - besides anal and oral sex - such as kissing, skin rubbing, spitting, sharing a towel or bedsheets or being prolonged close to an infected person inhaling droplets.

Please be responsible and inform people also how easily monkeypos can be spread with non penetrative sexual activity (e.g. kissing) for example.

Your focus on anal or oral sex  is plain wrong as I obviously showed.

What I am doing is informing BW readers on the full scale of  risks instead of playing it down or laying the focus solely on sexual activity as you do in you posts.

Here have it again:

Explainer: Why monkeypox is not a 'gay disease', yet the queer community needs to heed the health risks

Today, Published July 26, 2022

As more is known of how the disease is spread, infectious disease experts here and overseas have warned against stigmatising monkeypox with the gay community because it will only serve to further its spread, alienating this group of patients and making them not want to get medical help or treatment.

Apart from that, the spread of monkeypox is not just limited to sexual activity among homosexuals. The disease also spreads through close contact, which means that it is possible for the virus to infect people who have sex with people of the opposite sex and through kissing, for example.

This is further supported by WHO, which said that monkeypox spreads through close contact, such as face-to-face, skin-to-skin, mouth-to-mouth and mouth-to-skin contact.

CDC:

Monkeypox spreads between people through direct contact with an infectious rash, body fluids, or by respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact. Transmission of Monkeypox virus is possible from the onset of the first symptoms until the scabs have separated and the skin has fully healed.

During the infectious period of time, body fluids, respiratory secretions, and lesion material from people with monkeypox can contaminate the environment. Poxviruses can survive in linens, clothing and on environmental surfaces. In one study, investigators found live virus 15 days after a patient’s home was left unoccupied.

Potentially contaminated items like bedding, clothes and towels should be contained until you have time to do your laundry, the CDC recommends.

Is that what I do here what you call playing down or speculation if health agencies give such advice?

Surely, no!

is it because they want to continue practices like having multiple partners at saunas

I don't think the issue is on multiple sex partners at all.

Multiple sex partners in the news reports was just mentioned as this increases the speed of spread.

Note, that in a sauna you just need to interact with one single spreader without having had sex with multiple partners.

If you intend to reduce any risk, then the logic reply would be to cut back any activities at the moment.

I don't think I have been seen here as promoting practices such as having multiple sex partners at saunas.

My point is just, that you have to be cautious at the moment with any sex partner, as the way of transmission is easy.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:35 PM, PlayersGroup said:

Anyone can go to sauna, not have sex, and still get Monkeypox. Why? Cos all it needs is skin to skin contact with infected lesions, or breathe in infected person's respiration, or touch shared surfaces. 

Exactly, thanks for this.

That was exactly my point.

It doesn't need any sex to catch monkeypox but skin to skin contact, touching infected surfaces or prolonged close distance to any infected person is sufficient.

The guy must not even go to a sauna, but it can be one to one fun or meeting someone for a coffee and giving him a goodbye hug or having shared his cup of coffee!

On 7/28/2022 at 11:44 AM, PlayersGroup said:

Am I the only who don't get why Guest Why and Singalion are upset with each other? Both are concerned about spread, just focus is on slightly different aspects. Just focus on the points discussed, no need to say who misses whose point mah.

Oh and on group fun, I do enjoy it but I may postpone it or for now limit to a smaller group of guys who I know better. I don't think the solution is total infinite abstention, it is to take responsible and reasonable precautions.

My point was that the exclusive focus on sexual activity gives a wrong focus on how you potentially can catch monkeypox. E.g. How often was towel taken by someone else in a sauna, you might not even have interacted with?

On you last point:

Vaccination would help to get over the risk and fear.

The problem would be even if the Government here decided to offer vaccinations to "risk groups", how would be the take up?

I assume many people would fear to be seen or identified as homosexuals.

For the Covid19 vaccines you needed to submit your NRIC/FIN etc.

However, I suggest for monkeypox, the Government should offer anonymous vaccinations.

Maybe AFA can help here to get the vaccinations to the "risk groups".

Ok. I think by far this is the best I've seen on guidelines for MSM population, clear and simple. 

The full document is more detailed: 

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/monkeypox-spread-through-sex/

Guidelines by Cleveland Clinic

1. If you feel sick or have any rashes or open sores, refrain from attending any large social gatherings. This includes areas where infections can be spread across small, enclosed spaces like locker rooms and saunas.

2. If you or your partner have monkeypox (or if you feel sick, have a rash or open wounds of any kind), you can protect yourself and each other by not having sex and sleeping in separate beds until the infection has fully healed.

3. Of course, abstinence isn’t always possible (or probable). If you choose to engage in sexual activity, the CDC recommends the following:

• Have virtual sex with no in-person contact.
  • Mutual masturbation at least 6 feet apart, without touching each other and without touching any rash or sores.
  • Wear condoms or dental dams when engaging in sexual activity.
  • Have sex with your clothes on or cover areas where a rash or sores are present.
  • Avoid kissing.
  • Wash your hands, sex accessories and any fabrics (bedding, towels, clothing) after having sex.
  • Limit your number of sexual partners to avoid opportunities for further infection.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:12 PM, PlayersGroup said:

Ok. I think by far this is the best I've seen on guidelines for MSM population, clear and simple. 

1. If you feel sick or have any rashes or open sores, refrain from attending any large social gatherings. This includes areas where infections can be spread across small, enclosed spaces like locker rooms and saunas.

2. If you or your partner have monkeypox (or if you feel sick, have a rash or open wounds of any kind), you can protect yourself and each other by not having sex and sleeping in separate beds until the infection has fully healed.

3. Of course, abstinence isn’t always possible (or probable). If you choose to engage in sexual activity, the CDC recommends the following:

• Mutual masturbation at least 6 feet apart, without touching each other and without touching any rash or sores.
  • Have sex with your clothes on or cover areas where a rash or sores are present.
  • Avoid kissing.
  • Wash your hands, sex accessories and any fabrics (bedding, towels, clothing) after having sex.
  • Limit your number of sexual partners to avoid opportunities for further infection.

Thank you for sharing this valuable information.

i hope it doesn’t get lost in the spamming of this thread by @singalion , with his endless doubling down and need to have the last word no matter how much he gets wrong. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:02 PM, Guest Why said:

i hope it doesn’t get lost in the spamming of this thread by @singalion , with his endless doubling down and need to have the last word no matter how much he gets wrong. 

What doubling down? are you daydreaming.

It is obvious that you are the usual Guest that trolls me around every corner...

Edited by singalion

On 7/28/2022 at 10:02 PM, Guest Why said:

i hope it doesn’t get lost in the spamming of this thread by , with his endless doubling down and need to have the last word no matter how much he gets wrong. 

• Avoid kissing.

Which proves my point that besides sexual contact or penetration (oral, vaginal or anal or however...) monkeypox is also spread also through other non penetrative or non sexual means such as by fabrics (bedsheets, towels, clothes) same as through kissing and close skin to skin contact, touching, prolonged stay in close proximity to another person.

The point that 95% has been suspected from sexual activity has been completely irrelevant from day 1.

The Cleveland Clinic is in fact repeating the recommendations of the US health agency Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which is posted some days ago!

I just wonder who did informative and educative community service at BW!

Here:

On 7/27/2022 at 2:01 PM, singalion said:

The ignorant one is you actually:

Guest Why you act extremely irresponsible here at BW with your posts playing down risks.

Here you have it from CDC (the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention from the  U.S. Department of Health & Human Services just published 2 days ago!

Monkeypox explained: How to protect yourself and what to watch out for

Updated July 24, 2022

How does the virus spread?

The CDC says the risk of contracting monkeypox in the U.S. is "believed to be low," but anyone who comes into close contact with an individual carrying the disease is at risk of infection.

The current outbreak is spreading from human-to-human contact. You could develop an infection from droplet respiratory particles by spending too much time face-to-face with a monkeypox carrier, the WHO warns.

The virus also spreads through physical contact, including touching a lesion, as well as the exchange of some bodily fluids like saliva. An individual could become infected by touching items and surfaces shared with someone exhibiting symptoms.

How do I protect myself?

As the virus can spread through skin-to-skin contact, the CDC advises people to exercise caution in situations where one can't maintain some sense of personal space and bumping into others is impractical. In places where clothing is minimal and you could experience that contact, such as crowded raves and clubs, the risk goes up.

Potentially contaminated items like bedding, clothes and towels should be contained until you have time to do your laundry, the CDC recommends. Be sure to frequently wash your hands with soap and water as you're cleaning and dispose of all cleaning materials when you're done.

Monkeypox isn't considered a sexually transmitted disease, but the CDC says researchers are still trying to sort out whether the virus can be found in semen, vaginal fluids and feces. Sexually active individuals should be open about their potential exposure to the virus, and ask your partner or partners to do the same.

Full article here for those interested and more responsible:

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/24/1113197119/monkeypox-symptoms-prevention-vaccines-what-to-know

Please stop playing down monkeypox, mislead readers with your superficial knowledge and act more responsible towards your fellow gay people here.

Edited by singalion

Guest Whywhy
On 7/28/2022 at 7:52 PM, singalion said:

Where have I been playing down or ruling out sexual activity as a risk of infection?

I never said that the infection spread by "kissing" and not by anal or oral penetration.

You are now totally making up things here!

What I said is that kissing is sufficient to catch monkeypox, same as close skin to skin contact (frottage) or getting infected body fluids onto your skin that enters into the body.

Anal or oral Sex does is not considered a close skin to skin contact???

The thing you don't get is that the data of 95% was gathered from just 528 samples out of 18,000 known infected cases.

I am doing the opposite actually than playing down, which is informing on the various means that monkeypox can pass from one infected person to another (and not just focus on sexual activity) but point to the other means of transmission.

You literally just repeated your point about 528 samples out of 18,000 cases being insignificant and insufficient where 95% of these 528 were possibly infected through sexual activity. This is playing down. 

You had said that “The infection could have spread by kissing and not by any anal or oral penetration.”

On 7/27/2022 at 2:25 PM, singalion said:

The number is a study from a sample examination of 528 cases .

It is not even conclusive because it uses the word "suspected".

The infection could have spread by kissing and not by any anal or oral penetration.

What you fail to understand is you are distracting from the high risk infection factor which is sexual activity. It is irresponsible. 

On 7/28/2022 at 10:40 PM, Guest Whywhy said:

You literally just repeated your point about 528 samples out of 18,000 cases being insignificant and insufficient where 95% of these 528 were possibly infected through sexual activity. This is playing down. 

You had said that “The infection could have spread by kissing and not by any anal or oral penetration.”

What you fail to understand is you are distracting from the high risk infection factor which is sexual activity. It is irresponsible. 

Literally it your post doesn't bear any logic.

When I inform BW readers that skin to skin contact, sharing the bedsheet with an infected person or sharing a towel is already sufficient to catch monkeypox what is here downplaying ?

When I effectively point to much easier means in getting infected?

I m surely not distracting but alerting BW readers here that also non sexual activity  can lead to a monkeypox !

Which means, watch out, you are not safe when you indulge into other activities.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:40 PM, Guest Why said:

Does anyone here have a refilled source for how the virus is spread through sexual transmission? If so please share it. Ie. Which sexual activities carry the most risk? this would be much more helpful information to share here than panicking about low risk activities and environments.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:47 PM, Guest Why said:

That is long on conjecture and theories and really, really short on facts. If monkeypox was this easily spread, would there not be many, many more cases by now? Especially among the close contacts of the confirmed cases?
again, lots of things can or could happen but that doesn’t make them likely, so what is the point of this kind of ignorant speculation and hypothesizing

Earlier you posted that I am speculating, exaggerating and hypothesizing.

Now I am irresponsible because I am distracting from sexual activity.

How much sense does that make, when I point to the fact that with non sexual activity you are already at risk of catching monkeypox?

Someone with a bit a logic would understand that if non sexual activity is already sufficient to get infected than surely sexual activity will increase the risk.

Nobody needs to talk about that, just mere logic.

You started this by scolding superflawless for bringing up infection risks for massage, physiotherapists and other (non sexual) skin to skin contacts.

On 7/27/2022 at 12:11 PM, Guest Why said:

Wow, are you having sex with ‘massuers, physiotherapists, Teachers, hairstylists, barbers, soldiers’?

if it is so easily spread to those groups, shouldn’t the cases already be much higher?
let’s keep things in perspective and focus the efforts where they will have the most benefit. 

When I actually proved your point wrong!

Here look what other Members posted on "non sexual means" in contracting monkeypox:

• Avoid kissing.

Do they just focus on sexual penetrative activity?

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  must be very irresponsible in alerting people that not only sexual activity but Monkeypox also spreads between people through direct contact with an infectious rash, body fluids, or by respiratory secretions during prolonged, face-to-face contact, contaminated bed lines, fabrics, clothing....

Edited by singalion

Guest Whywhy
On 7/28/2022 at 8:27 PM, singalion said:

Multiple sex partners in the news reports was just mentioned as this increases the speed of spread.

Note, that in a sauna you just need to interact with one single spreader without having had sex with multiple partners.

If you recognise sexual activity is one of the main high risk factor of transmission, then having multiple sex partners will be an issue obviously.

Having multiple sex partners will increase the number of spreaders. These spreaders will be sum total of multiple one single spreader. This is basic logic. 

Your post is false and misinterpreting me again.

No need to take my posts out of context.

On 7/27/2022 at 1:31 PM, singalion said:

You can catch Monkeypox not just through sexual intercourse.

It was also mentioned that the monkeypox virus can remain on surface, towels, bedsheets etc.

as long as you touch infected skin of an infected person or through droplets, body fluid etc...

BW readers with some grasp would have realised what my point was. There are actually plenty who did. you just need to read through the thread.

Look, you can go on with your online trolling scuffles...

It is futile to discuss anything with you as you are not even consistent in your own reasoning.

See here:

On 7/27/2022 at 1:37 PM, Guest Why said:

95% of cases are through sexual transmission, so let’s make sure not to lose perspective and go and on about droplets, bedsheets or teachers…

On 7/27/2022 at 1:40 PM, Guest Why said:

Does anyone here have a refilled source for how the virus is spread through sexual transmission? If so please share it. Ie. Which sexual activities carry the most risk?

this would be much more helpful information to share here than panicking about low risk activities and environments.

Who has been acting irresponsible and just focusing on sexual activity when monkeypox can be spread though other means also.

At no point I ever said that sexual activity might not cause an infection.

Sexual activity is not skin to skin contact?

Your continued brawls just demonstrate what you are here at BW.

On 7/28/2022 at 11:19 PM, Guest Whywhy said:

If you recognise sexual activity is one of the main high risk factor of transmission, then having multiple sex partners will be an issue obviously.

Having multiple sex partners will increase the number of spreaders. These spreaders will be sum total of multiple one single spreader. This is basic logic. 

This is only correct on the basis that one of the multiple sex partners is infected with monkeypox.

My last sentence just says all if you have any basic logic:

Look you can go on singling me out here .

But I think BW readers are aware who seems to be a 🤡 troll.

askST: Can you get monkeypox from infected household contacts?

Published 28 July 2022

SINGAPORE - More monkeypox cases are expected to surface here in the weeks ahead as more than 18,000 cases have been reported in 78 countries, with the majority in Europe.

Singapore saw its first monkeypox case on July 6 and now has six local and five imported cases. None of them is linked, but contact tracing is ongoing.

The risk to the general public remains low, but more questions have surfaced as the outbreak - declared a global health emergency by the World Health Organisation (WHO) on July 23 - develops. The Straits Times answers some of them.

Q: Will heterosexual networks be safe from monkeypox?

A: "While currently most cases globally are among MSM (men who have sex with men), there is no reason why it cannot spread into heterosexual networks, perhaps among commercial sex workers or the families of affected individuals," said Professor Paul Tambyah, president of the Asia Pacific Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infection.

He said more cases are likely as Singapore has a highly mobile population with a large number of sexually active travellers.

"This has been shown through very detailed molecular work by clinician researchers at NCID (National Centre for Infectious Diseases), who demonstrated new strains of HIV (the virus that causes Aids) emerging in Singapore from combinations of strains from Malaysia and Thailand and then moving back across the region," he said, referring to a study published in 2011.

"That could well happen with monkeypox, although its mutation rate as a DNA virus is likely to be a lot slower than HIV."

As the size of the outbreak grows in other countries, more imported cases can be expected here, and there is a chance that they may spread monkeypox to their close contacts in Singapore, said Associate Professor Hsu Li Yang, an infectious diseases expert and vice-dean of global health at National University of Singapore’s Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health.

"At the same time, because we are still seeing sporadic cases with no known links, it seems evident that local transmission of the virus is still occurring."

Currently, Europe accounts for more than 70 per cent of the monkeypox cases.

Q: Does monkeypox spread only through sex?

A: "One of the main modes of exposure for this particular illness is through direct contact... skin-to-skin contact, possibly even face-to-face contact exposure to droplets or virus that may be in the mouth. Many people have lesions in the mouth," said Dr Rosamund Lewis, the WHO technical lead on monkeypox.

She added that household transmission may begin to occur now.

"In addition to transmission through sexual contact, monkeypox can be spread in households through close contact between people, such as hugging and kissing, and on contaminated towels or bedding," said WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus at a press conference on Wednesday (July 27).

At the same conference, Dr Lewis said some people have been exposed to monkeypox in a household setting, both in countries where this disease has long been known and now in newly affected countries.

Q: Have children been affected by monkeypox in this outbreak?

A: The United States confirmed two cases in children recently, while Dr Lewis has said that globally, some 81 children under the age of 17 were reported as having been infected.

Not every child who contracts monkeypox will develop severe disease but there is a preponderance of children, pregnant women and immunocompromised people among those who do develop severe disease, she said.

Q: How many people become very ill with monkeypox?

A: Most cases recover without treatment, but for many people, the disease can be very unpleasant. Dr Tedros said at the press conference that about 10 per cent of the cases are admitted to hospital to manage the pain caused by the disease.

Prof Tambyah said almost all the cases have been mild.

"Hospitals are full right now and I think it would be most appropriate for monkeypox cases who need to be isolated to be looked after in some of the community care facilities - perhaps the old one at Pasir Ris could be reactivated," he said.

Q: Is a rash or blister the first sign of monkeypox?

A: Two doctors quoted in a July 24 WHO Europe release said they found that the cases they saw did not always have the rash that is considered the typical symptom of monkeypox.

The first clinician has seen people with anal, genital and oral ulcers or with no visible ulcers, and swollen lymph nodes, while the other clinician said some patients had a fever, inflammation of their colon and rectum areas, while others had blister-like lesions on their chin, chest and stomach.

WHO said symptoms include one of the following:

• Rash, spots, ulcers, or blister-like lesions anywhere on the body, but often in the genital area;
  • Swollen and painful lymph glands;
  • Fever, headache and muscle aches, chills or exhaustion.

Edited by singalion

Guest jaded

Yes, but the probability of one meeting an infected individual is obviously higher if one hooks up with more individuals per visit.

and in this situation, speed of spread is what is at issue isnt it? Saunas, orgies, etc. are just potential super spreader events.

We have to choose the degree of probability of infection. In this context, the faithful couples in closed, exclusive relationships are the safest while the swinging single arranging multiple hookups within a short period of time is at the other end of the spectrum of probability and vulnerability.

Guest Whywhy
On 7/28/2022 at 11:04 PM, singalion said:

Literally it your post doesn't bear any logic.

When I inform BW readers that skin to skin contact, sharing the bedsheet with an infected person or sharing a towel is already sufficient to catch monkeypox what is here downplaying ?

When I effectively point to much easier means in getting infected?

I m surely not distracting but alerting BW readers here that also non sexual activity  can lead to a monkeypox !

Which means, watch out, you are not safe when you indulge into other activities.

You said the sampled 528 cases where 95% can be potentially attributed to sexual activity out of 18000 cases is insignificant. This is reckless. 

What you are downplaying is the fact that sexual activity is a high risk activity. 

Guest Whywhy
On 7/28/2022 at 11:28 PM, singalion said:

This is only correct on the basis that one of the multiple sex partners is infected with monkeypox.

My last sentence just says all if you have any basic logic:

Look you can go on singling me out here .

But I think BW readers are aware who seems to be a 🤡 troll.

You have conveniently forgotten you said “I don’t think the issue is on multiple sex partners at all”. This is misleading, flatly wrong and irresponsible. 

If the whole world only has 10 people and 2 of the 10 are infected with monkeypox. If 1 of the 10 who are uninfected start having multiple sex partners like all the remaining 9 people, wouldn’t that almost guarantee he or she will get expose to the virus by that infected 2? Conversely if 1 of the uninfected has sex with 1 other person exclusively only, wouldn’t that reduce the chance of infection? 

The more you respond, the more you look incredulous. 

Guest Whywhy
On 7/28/2022 at 10:37 PM, singalion said:

Which proves my point that besides sexual contact or penetration (oral, vaginal or anal or however...) monkeypox is also spread also through other non penetrative or non sexual means such as by fabrics (bedsheets, towels, clothes) same as through kissing and close skin to skin contact, touching, prolonged stay in close proximity to another person.

The point that 95% has been suspected from sexual activity has been completely irrelevant from day 1.

The Cleveland Clinic is in fact repeating the recommendations of the US health agency Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which is posted some days ago!

I just wonder who did informative and educative community service at BW!

Here:

You said “ The point that 95% has been suspected from sexual activity has been completely irrelevant from day 1.“ This again is obviously wrong and misleading. 

This is your attempt and doubling down at downplaying a high risk source of infection by calling it completely irrelevant. Sexual activity is a high risk activity and it has been shown by data where  in 528cases, 95% of transmission is suspected to have occurred through sexual activity. 

According to a report published by the New England Journal of Medicine last week, 98 per cent of the 528 cases in the study were gay or bisexual men. Transmission was suspected to have occurred through sexual activity in 95 per cent of those infected.

Guest Be careful

Well said. It is better not to be promiscuous with unknown strangers where you don’t know what’s his or her background and attitude on sexual activity. 

On 7/29/2022 at 12:42 AM, Guest Whywhy said:

You said “ The point that 95% has been suspected from sexual activity has been completely irrelevant from day 1.“ This again is obviously wrong and misleading. 

This is your attempt and doubling down at downplaying a high risk source of infection by calling it completely irrelevant. Sexual activity is a high risk activity and it has been shown by data where  in 528cases, 95% of transmission is suspected to have occurred through sexual activity. 

oh, according to @singalion, this is just as likely a scenario for catching it:

“Just take a barber, he does a cut, there is blood exchange, he wipes it with a tissue, places the tissue on the hairstyling desk, later throws it to the dustbin but accidentally touches the blood stain on the tissue because he was distracted by his phone. Bingo.”

he has completely lost the plot (as seen from the endless spamming of this thread doubling down on the same points and repeatedly answering the same posts over and over). And if you call him out with logic, you are a troll. There’s no point to discuss with him. 

@singalion ‘I don’t think the issue is on multiple sex partners at all’

WHO says:  “Make safe choices for yourself and others, for men who have sex with men. This includes, for the moment, reducing your number of sexual partners.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/27/monkeypox-who-chief-advises-at-risk-men-reduce-number-sexual-partners

i think I will listen to the WHO, rather than some random guy who spends his life spamming Blowing Wind. 

Guest Aiyoyo

so much squabbling over MP. Put it simply, if guys cannot control their urges during this period, better have contingency plan how to face people when they get MP. closet guys will be outed immediately, like it or not.

Guest 脏纸怡

Now Kukujiao not fresh, cannot eat or insert into any hole.  Please be careful and celibate like me.  I am still a virgin in every sense and I am 68!

Guest Whywhy
On 7/29/2022 at 7:11 AM, Guest Why said:

“Just take a barber, he does a cut, there is blood exchange, he wipes it with a tissue, places the tissue on the hairstyling desk, later throws it to the dustbin but accidentally touches the blood stain on the tissue because he was distracted by his phone. Bingo.”

he has completely lost the plot (as seen from the endless spamming of this thread doubling down on the same points and repeatedly answering the same posts over and over). And if you call him out with logic, you are a troll. There’s no point to discuss with him. 

Yes, singalion always want to have the final say on everything and will correct people but refuse to be corrected by others. 

The more you correct him, the more he will double down with lengthy posts with messy large fonts and coloured highlights. 

There is no need to discuss with him but we should continue to call out his inaccuracies, misinterpretations and misrepresentations. 

According to a report published by the New England Journal of Medicine last week, 98 per cent of the 528 cases in the study were gay or bisexual men. Transmission was suspected to have occurred through sexual activity in 95 per cent of those infected.

I never quoted this part from the New England Journal in any single of my posts.

The quote from that New England Journal is from your own posts.

There is no post here in this thread where I posted above.

Now you have nothing better to do than to fabricate posts that I never ever posted into BW???

How lame is that.

I assume you are having some mental issues.

Edited by singalion

On 7/29/2022 at 12:16 AM, Guest Whywhy said:

You said the sampled 528 cases where 95% can be potentially attributed to sexual activity out of 18000 cases is insignificant. This is reckless. 

What you are downplaying is the fact that sexual activity is a high risk activity. 

On 7/29/2022 at 12:30 AM, Guest Whywhy said:

You have conveniently forgotten you said “I don’t think the issue is on multiple sex partners at all”. This is misleading, flatly wrong and irresponsible. 

If the whole world only has 10 people and 2 of the 10 are infected with monkeypox. If 1 of the 10 who are uninfected start having multiple sex partners like all the remaining 9 people, wouldn’t that almost guarantee he or she will get expose to the virus by that infected 2? Conversely if 1 of the uninfected has sex with 1 other person exclusively only, wouldn’t that reduce the chance of infection? 

The more you respond, the more you look incredulous. 

On 7/29/2022 at 7:11 AM, Guest Why said:

On 7/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, Guest Why said:

@singalion ‘I don’t think the issue is on multiple sex partners at all’

WHO says:  “Make safe choices for yourself and others, for men who have sex with men. This includes, for the moment, reducing your number of sexual partners.”

i think I will listen to the WHO, rather than some random guy who spends his life spamming Blowing Wind. 

On 7/29/2022 at 1:39 PM, Guest Whywhy said:

Yes, singalion always want to have the final say on everything and will correct people but refuse to be corrected by others. 

The more you correct him, the more he will double down with lengthy posts with messy large fonts and coloured highlights. 

There is no need to discuss with him but we should continue to call out his inaccuracies, misinterpretations and misrepresentations. 

I m not going further into your repeated brawls and troll posts.

If you want to start brawls then go to the Flaming Room.

You are not posting to the topic here but just starting attacks on Members.

It is obvious that you solely intend to hit out at me with irrelevant points completely derailing this thread.

I am not that important that you require to place your elevated focus on me.

BW readers are able to read for themselves and take informed decisions.

On 7/29/2022 at 1:42 PM, singalion said:

It is obvious that you solely intend to hit out at me with irrelevant points completely derailing this thread.

see, totally lost the plot… Doesn’t even realise he is responding to more than one person.

And why capitalise Member like it is some kind of badge of honour?! 😂 

let’s make some space so other people can contribute something more helpful than your posts to this thread now, shall we @singalion

Not surprise with this new CNA report, that this California woman, suspected she caught the Monkey Pox either during a massage at a spa or by sharing food with her friends…. Or she telling lies to cover she’s a whore 😂

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/world/monkeypox-patients-symptoms-treatment-lesions-2844326

Add on… take care of your hygiene and be more aware of your body and surrounding (I know is hard). And limit touchy and skin to skin contact lah…. Who would know later, there might be a person got infected by Monkey Pox and reported they caught it by hand shake 😝

Edited by cityhallguy

Guest Whywhy

Please learn to read full articles and reports from top to the end and not just some snippets that you misinterpret.

The number is a study from a sample examination of 528 cases .

It is not even conclusive because it uses the word "suspected".

The infection could have spread by kissing and not by any anal or oral penetration.

According to a report published by the New England Journal of Medicine last week, 98 per cent of the 528 cases in the study were gay or bisexual men. Transmission was suspected to have occurred through sexual activity in 95 per cent of those infected.

The same report debunks your story telling already as it continues:

"It is important to stress that monkeypox is not a sexually transmitted infection in the traditional sense; it can be acquired through any kind of close physical contact," said first author John Thornhill, in a statement.

The same article goes on:

Although sexual activity was behind most cases, the researchers stressed in a statement that the virus can be spread via any close physical contact, such as respiratory droplets and potentially through clothing and other surfaces.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/95-of-monkeypox-cases-transmitted-through-sexual-activity-study-3182159

Please also stop playing down the potential other means of infection. This is irresponsible.

Nobody fabricated anything. You had quoted the New England Journal article in your own post above and changed the font colour to blur and bolded the text. 

Guest Whywhy
On 7/29/2022 at 1:42 PM, singalion said:

don’t think anyone thought you are that important as you had characterised yourself to be. 

We are not hitting at you but refuting your points on monkeypox, which are misleading, and sometimes flatly wrong. 

On 7/29/2022 at 6:25 PM, deg143 said:

Just stick to one sex partner is the safest choice! 🙂 

Scientifically, this is false. The safest choice is not have sex at all.

Then again, with monkeypox, still false even if zero sex. For those who still haven't got the memo, it is not an STI. 

• Of the 13,933 cases where age was available, there were 84 (0.6%) cases reported aged 0-17, out of which 24 (0.2%) were aged 0-4.

(https://www.who.int/emergencies/situations/monkeypox-oubreak-2022)

Edited by PlayersGroup

What I mean is if you still want to have sex life but cautious of catching the virus, then better stick to one sex partner. Having no sex at all is of course the safest when talking about sexual transmission. But I do agree, it’s not just through sexual activity where the monkey pox is transmitted so we all need to be responsible and be careful in other aspects as well. 🙂

Edited by deg143

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.