Male HQ

Movie Recommendations / Reviews (Str8, Non-Pxxn) (Compiled)

Guest IslandMan

Guest Trytoohard

no matter how haggard she looks now, no matter how her movies suck, no matter how vocal her critics are...the fact remains that Zoe Tay is the most successful actress in local TV history thus far, and none of the "princesses" can come close yet..

Guest ZoeTaytrytoohard

no matter how haggard she looks now, no matter how her movies suck, no matter how vocal her critics are...the fact remains that Zoe Tay is the most successful actress in local TV history thus far, and none of the "princesses" can come close yet..

Zoe's lackeys love to badmouth other artistes to make Zoe look better.

First it was Fann Wong, now the princesses.

Aiyo...

Most successful actress in local TV history? You gotta be kidding.

I swallow, cha cha cha, countless attention-seeking antics, Photoshopped mag covers, HD wrinkles.... the list goes on!

Guest lumpsy Francis,

Seems that you can't accept the fact that Zoe has failed, in looks, acting or popularity...

Guest Alvin Teo

Why would I want to watch Zoe Tay rehashing her auntie-auntie role in By My Side 不番的爱?

Just because it's on the big screen?

Speaking of which, the Health Promotion Board and Clover Films should put their money where their mouth is.

If this movie is really meant to publicise a breast-screening message, then screen it for free or let people donate whatever amount they want to charity.

No need for all the attention-seeking antics like posing semi-nude on poster, cheap thrills!

It just shows they need lots of packaging to mask a mediocre product.

Guest surelyugessian

i want to watch a movie about love affair/co-habitation between the 2 famous TCS actors (seems like all the aunties and ah sohs know already).

some steamy scenes required!

we call this movie "blowing wind"?

Guest coolfort been

i want to watch a movie about love affair/co-habitation between the 2 famous TCS actors (seems like all the aunties and ah sohs know already).

*pukes out ruffles chips in laughter*

OMG can't believe you actually posted this one here.

One look at the phrase "2 famous TCS actors" and we all know who you're referring to.

LOL

Guest surelyugessian

the purpose of this movie would be to promote "safe-sex" of course.

it's about the physical and mental benefits of staying true to 1 single partner, and use condoms when crusing in the spas.

Guest matureuncle

Your opinion is in the minority.

Singaporeans have by and large written Zoe Tay off as a has been actress without any achievements or substance to justify that huge crown on her head.

No one is bitching about her, merely pointing out facts.

It's a fact that she has wrinkles.

It's a fact that her lackeys went Photoshopping her mag covers to prove she's still young.

It's a fact that her wrinkles were exposed on High Definition Ultimatum.

Which fact do you want to dispute?

Aiyoh, why so bitter?? Jealous of her achievements? U may not like her but no one can deny that she is the most successful icon in local TV history so far. Will I go to the movie? Yes, because I'm curious as to how Zoe will perform in it. Why are there so many media reports on the movie despite the small budget and supposedly sub-standard script? Because Zoe is in it. This is called Start Power - the same reason why she's able to keep people talking. Whether you like her or not, you can't ignore her presence or deny her status in local TV industry.

Guest n lovesse

Jealous of Zoe's achievements? Hahahahaha.

what achievements has she got?

Only one miserable best actress award 14 years back and some inhouse popularity awards.

No overseas achievements like Fann Wong or acting achievements like Huang Biren and Ivy Lee.

Anyway, what you lackeys think doesn't matter.

Andrew Cheng's opinion is the most important.

See if he will still renew Zoe after all her failures caused by herself.

And no, I won't be watching this B film. Lol.

If i were to watch, Ho Ga Geng will be the only reason for me to do so.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

i will watch because of Kenny Ho 何家劲 in the movie. Hehe.

Same too, if i will go and watch this movie also becos of 何家劲. Can't imagine he is 50 yr old liao! He looks like 30s!

编剧——杨君伟、李世炬

监制——朱厚任

演员——何家劲,郑惠玉

《手中线》改编自张雨生《天天想你》,由黄韵仁,小寒重新编曲填词,并由龚芝怡主唱

based on the above and the storyline, yes i will watch the movie.

btw, according to one guy listed above (who hardly praise people) gave positive comments on zoe's acting in his blog. this is also another reasons for me to watch the movie.

for those who don't watch the movie just because of zoe, you remind me of St Patrick School, which wrote a letter to its students’ parents, advising them to ‘choose wisely’ when they are given the option of opting out of the sex education programme. the reason given by the catholic school -- there is a video on the use of condoms and MOE refuse to remove it.

This movie caters mainly for Women.

No surprise that most people here do not give a damn.

If it is something related to Men's problem, you guys may be more interested because it may concerns YOU.

Last but not least, the message HPB wants to spread is the primary, acting and crew are secondary.

GET IT?!?!?!?!!! :)

This movie caters mainly for Women.

No surprise that most people here do not give a damn.

If it is something related to Men's problem, you guys may be more interested because it may concerns YOU.

Last but not least, the message HPB wants to spread is the primary, acting and crew are secondary.

GET IT?!?!?!?!!! :)

I think you are quite right, its more like an auntie movie.

With such a cast and theme, I just wonder what kind of target audience the producer was aiming at?

With Zoe an unknown outside S'pore and Kenny Ho only a B lister, don't think it will have an overseas market either.

Perhaps they should release it as a free to air TV movie.

Guest Joo JOO

一看就知道是烂片一部,何必浪费钱去看这种说教的电影。

电影公司和郑惠玉也够despo的,以摸胸海报夺人眼球。

拜托,郑惠玉老奶有人要meh?

YOU are right !!! Old lady..dun waste my time

Hi,

watched Love Cuts over the weekend.It's one of the best local production I have seen, not because of Zoe Tay. the story line & how they put together.

You can expect alot of touching moments Between Zoe with her husband, son & esp the daughter. Those touching moments does make you tears, if you dare to take the challenge by watching.

Thumb up for all the actors & actress in this movies, esp Zoe & Kenny.

Guest very strange

Very strange, I noticed simple1975 keeps praising Zoe Tay and her movie.

Not saying Zoe Tay's fans can't post, but say so lah.

Anyway, don't like melodramatic movies.

Prefer comedies like the cats and dogs movie or the 2nd instalment of the swedish noomi rapace movie.

Yeah!

I watched love cuts this weekend with my mum cause she wanted to watch. I must say I was kinda sian diao having to acc here to watch such boring (I thought) show. But to my suprize it turned out nice! Touching show which made me teared quite alot! Relationship between husband and wife, mother and children etc. Thumbs up! Who cares who are the actors or actress? It's the storyline that matters most to me! (:

Zoe Tay's 2nd movie in 10 years... Love Cuts aka 割奶.

Love-Cuts-Postcards-Zoe-Tay-@-Clinic-1.jpg

Will you support her by watching her movie?

Will she "swallow"? :blink: :blink: :blink: If so I sure support :clap: :clap: :clap:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Guest suspicious

Alright...

8 Days gave it 1.5 stars.

i 周刊 gave it 2 stars.

The reviewers said that the movie had a disjointed plot, lack of character and story development, little information on breast cancer awareness, and uninspired acting from Zoe and Christy. Apparently the movie was using emotional manipulation and sound effects to cover up the defects in the script and story.

To be honest, it's really no harm watching it. Share your view if you think it's a lousy movie.

It's a touching movie & I strongly recommemd it. Why I strongly recommended cos it does happened to my mummy. well, she's lucky compared to Zoe in that movie. She have to go check up every two months. No one will ever bother until it happen. Why wait till it really happen. Take necessary precaution.

Praising Zoe Tay doesnt mean I have to be her FAN. Everyone know she's a good actress, her peak was in the 90's. She got lousy drama & wrinkles etc..... For younger audiences will not appreciate but find her as attention seeker & irirrating.

Zeng Hui Fen is my all time fave actress :thumb:

briax:: don't bother with those who delude themselves that their opinions are the GOSPEL TRUTHS and that all others who share a different opinion are just insignicant minority.

For me, I will go watch the movie cos it has a meaningful storyline and features singapore's most iconic local tv actress

Guest Pizaa Hutt

Watched it over the weekend.

My rating: 2/5

Pros:

- good acting by the child actress

- nice theme song

Cons:

- no chemistry between the main leads

- too "sentimental", too depressing

- little info on breast cancer and prevention

- no medical facts

- what is Christy and Allan doing there??

Verdict: Not recommended unless for hardcore Zoe Tay fans.

Surprisingly, both the movie reviewers in the English and Chinese paper actually gave the verdict that Zoe's acting is solid-good and carried the movie even as they criticized the pace of the movie, predictable plot and character devt of the supporting roles. Tay Kay Yeak's review was especially a surprise cos he is usually famous for his no-holds-barred caustic criticisms.

Zoe Tay...it's really to write her off even as a middle-aged mum of 2 kids, and was filming the movie while she was pregnant with her 3rd baby.

Zoe Tay...it's really to write her off even as a middle-aged mum of 2 kids, and was filming the movie while she was pregnant with her 3rd baby.

Is Zoe Tay really good or is she merely competent?

There's a world of difference between being outstanding and merely being competent.

For her to perform competently is no big deal. After all, the role is within her comfort zone and she had played something similar as Chen Hanwei's wife some years ago.

The question is whether the movie is worth watching.

I don't think so leh!

If I wanted to watch Zoe Tay's acting, I can watch for free, why pay?

I have to say that Tay Kay Yeak is famous for being a critical movie reviewer who will suan people regardless of their status, for him to commend Zoe's acting is quite something.

Guest Charlie

I have to say that Tay Kay Yeak is famous for being a critical movie reviewer who will suan people regardless of their status, for him to commend Zoe's acting is quite something.

It's well known that local entertainment journos and movie reviewers etc are easily bribed by some artistes who have "good PR" and buy lunches and gifts to stroke their ego.

Unfortunately, if we keep hearing the media say how good how good, but in reality the artiste or the performance is really no big deal, then the media loses credibility lor.

Guest 我是杨丽玲

Hear it from senior i weekly editor 杨丽玲 who reviewed the movie:

未完。。。未完。。。未完。。。

近两个小时,感觉似乎无终结。

没有方向,没有重心,没有实感,没有情味,注定困于闷局。

关系冷漠的一家,母亲患病之后,忽地幸福美满,是粉饰太平的童话抑或一厢情愿的天真。

非不可,只是必须有足够功力说服观众。

感性煽情戏码,从未进入人物心底。

人,没活起来,情,怎深刻。

还没‘点’到,已止;未到有情处已无情。

情节堆砌太多巧合,总似为了做戏而做戏。

当红模特走进挂满难看服饰的简陋裁缝店,情节已相当失智。

毫无共同的年轻模特姚惠敏与裁缝师主郑惠玉,铺排不足,为戏造情,硬是被牵扯在一块。

不过是二度交汇,却随即一番“我也不知道,可能你会明白我在说什么”哭诉宣泄还让陌生auntie触胸?!

剧本松散参杂,贪心亦无心。

电影,想讲的是什么?

乳癌?篇幅太少,描绘也毕竟陷入戏剧式典型。

两个北京性格不同却不幸同样身患癌症的女人?关系也太单薄,且始终流于表面。

关于主妇与丈夫的爱情?丈夫身在异乡的郁闷?儿子的醒悟成长?女儿的单纯无邪?还是女人对事业的执著,誓死捍卫30年裁缝店。。。

闻衣服气味,画眉,缝和服等等等桥段,不自然的煽情之动心欲盖弥彰。

有些戏,是噱头计算多于情节需要。

例如让姚惠敏和吴振宇赤身裸体。

男人爱你的证明竟然是“连裸照都一起拍”? 呃。。。显然为裸而裸,精心布置展览吴振宇的健硕胸肌与姚惠敏的性感乳房。

找来何家劲和郑惠玉,想当然旨在炫耀演技。只是,人物形象苍白空洞亦欠缺立体感,纵是戏精也恐无用武之地。

郑惠玉掉泪哭功,电视剧里已见惯,《孩子树》之后难得登上大银幕,却也未能尽情挥洒。

老练的何家劲当为家庭奔波的受气丈夫,水准在预料之中,最后安插一场外露撕心裂肺哭喊戏,却是画蛇添足。

世事,从来勉强不来。

Guest Liang Kok

All celebrities have a high price to pay and it's part and parcel to accept critics, like it or not it is happening all over the world including politicians.

Why hog the headlines and limelights to seek attention and expect the public to give high praises/compliments for non-achievers/non-contributors. What has she contributed to the country besides displaying herself in magazines and trying to sell herself & her 2 sons with all sorts of products of no beneficial gain to the country.

Is Singapore really a gracious country, every day non-stop grouses/complaints everywhere we go in public places nobody care a damn about the society. Even our ministers are not spared from harsh critics if people care to read more bashing forums.

Who is Zoe Tay anyway, a veteran actress of no beneficial gain to our society but loves to get attention so that she can be remembered for life until she dies and still look young, beautiful at age 70?? If you read 8 Days, Dr Woffles Wu is the only man who thinks she is the most beautiful with perfect face, shape and body in MediaCorp who doesnt need plastic surgery and would the majority agree with him? Who is he kdding cos we have seen her face to face, she walks with a hunch and her face has small little bumps like chlolestral fats and she smiles with wrinkles around her eyes - & we were like "is that really Zoe Tay, the actress??", yes indeed make-up can trick people's eyes. Some women in their late forties or early fifties look much younger than her and they dont mind being called old aunties, a term commonly used & should not be considered as vicious only words like "husband snatcher or adulterer" would be serious & harmful.

Sorry to offend some readers, merely stating honest facts of life & the freedom of speech in internet forums - Join them if you can't win them! No body can be saints nor angels on this earth, speaking one's mind doesnt conclude that one is immatued and childish. Millions everyday are pointing fingers at governments in countries all over the world, to have peace you need to find a place in heaven. The good die young because God will take them away before they become bad. Heard of the dialect saying "talking no need capital"!

If Zoe is afraid of critics, she should retire gracefully then this will be a gracious society to stop our loud mouths from blabbering non-stop otherwise dont ask for readers' comments. Expecting readers to compliment all the way to deceive the public? She gets paid to be in the limelights for acting, endorsing etc. We dont get paid for talking but indirectly the whole of S'pore are paying her through TV licence including media coverages.

Zoe is not afraid of the critics. You people can criticise for all you want but she had earned her position whether you like it or not. Stop being sour grapes.

I am of the opinion that she's definitely one of our most iconic actresses. Flag her all she wants but at the end of the day, her achievements are all there for us to see. For those who claim she has no achievements, compare her to people of her age and who have come out at around the same time as her. Pan Ling Ling, Aileen Tan, Lin Meijiao etc.

I am of the opinion that she's definitely one of our most iconic actresses. Flag her all she wants but at the end of the day, her achievements are all there for us to see. For those who claim she has no achievements, compare her to people of her age and who have come out at around the same time as her. Pan Ling Ling, Aileen Tan, Lin Meijiao etc.

WHAT ACHIEVEMENTS??? Star Awards???

Aiyo... her so-called achievements are all IN HOUSE one, hyped-up ones, MediaCorp conferred ones.

They're not 'real' or 'substantial', pure marketing hype only.

Outside of MCS, she's a nobody.

How come her fans are now trying to compare her to PLL, Aileen, Lin Meijiao and not Fann Wong?

Last time always pull in Fann Wong to compare and bash, now compare to PLL, Aileen and Meijiao???

Did PLL, Aileen and Meijiao call themselves No. 1 AH JIE??

Then how to compare like that???

AIYO

Watched it today... it was soooooo boring and preachy.

Zoe's performance was nothing special, maybe because she has the most screen time, that's why ignorant people assume that her acting must be good. Frankly, her performance is just OK, so-so only. I'm sure if it's Huang Biren or Xiang Yun, they can do the same if not better.

The movie also has many unnecessary plots, what a yawn, Christy's character was there just to show her boobs. And if you're going to watch for Allan or 何家劲, I can advise u to forget it, they weren't very substantial.

There's something lacking in this movie and that is the sense that the 4 of them are family. There's no emotional connection, you can tell they're ACTING, not real or believable at all (despite what her supporters may have you believe).

I haven't watched the movie yet, and doubt I will.

I feel that given the seriousness of the breast cancer awareness issue, it would have been better for HPB and Clover Films to shoot a 5-min advertisement (something like what Yasmin Ahmad did for MCYS). Get an experienced and detailed director like Eric Khoo, Boo Junfeng or Ekachai Uekrongtham to helm the video, and you would have an effective message without all the distractions.

Whang Yee Ling's review of Love Cuts in 8 Days:

Zoe Tay plays a fortyish seamstress struck by stage 4 of breast cancer. This melodrama about the tragedy bringing the family together meanwhile advances to stage 5 of terminal mawkishness via a series of stagy set-ups. It is too facile to confront the ravages of the illness in all its painful messiness and too lazy to research the medical facts.

Guest ~charming~

I've not watched this movie yet.

I don't intend to buy a ticket and go into a cinema to watch it in near future either.

I'm neither a fan of local movies nor Zoe Tay.

But frankly, I've been bombarded by it's numerous promo movie trailer over on Starhub TV and I must admit that I've been touched by it at one point of time and did have the thought of watching it to show my support.

Last came across a headline on a Chinese newspapers one night on the MRT which really amused and provoked my mind, it reported: Zoe Tay's Love Cuts lost to Lao Niu in box office..."

Immediately, my thoughts: So is this Singaporeans' standards and taste level for a good local movie?

If we judge according to box office performance... Lao Niu will be regarded a better movie than Love Cuts?

So if we don't show more support for movie genre like Love Cuts, will we end up with more nonsense from local movie productions like Lao Niu, Haunted Changi, Money No Enough, etc?

Aiyo!!! Help!

• HendryTan changed the title to Movie Recommendations / Reviews (Str8, Non-Pxxn) (Compiled)
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked, unlocked and unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.