Male HQ

Hair Thinning / Hair Loss Problems / Hair Treatment & Hair Products Discussion (Compiled)

Guest Help

rene furterer product not bad as i been using it for 5 years already due to my hair loss and hair itchy and hair oily  and their ingredients is all 100% natural from plants and they have a salon @ og centrepoint level 2 to check your scalp and rene furterer they have this product called complex 5 which open up the scalp pores to get rid of the dirt inside the pores 

rene furterer product not bad as i been using it for 5 years already due to my hair loss and hair itchy and hair oily and their ingredients is all 100% natural from plants and they have a salon @ og centrepoint level 2 to check your scalp and rene furterer they have this product called complex 5 which open up the scalp pores to get rid of the dirt inside the pores

Is that u in your dp?

U dun look like u r balding

• 1 month later...

Hair loss, or alopecia, is a concern for men, women, and children. Treatments for hair loss include medications such as Propecia and Rogaine, hair replacements, and hair transplant. Normally the treatments are not very expensive only depends you should get the right advice. The expensive most procedure is a hair transplant but in case you already have a bald area nothing else will be as successful. I recommend you should talk with your Dr about cost he/she will suggest you some good advice, just be open sharing your concern & budget.

Is that u in your dp?

U dun look like u r balding

Haha... balding or not i dunno. But junwei definitely has a hot body.

Recent months, I realised my hairs have been dropping reqularly and began to thin my bushy crown.  When I swept the floor, I can see the fallen hair is quite "massive".  When I comb my hair, I noticed I can see my head skin which used to be covered by hair. Will I become bald soon?  I am worried.  What could have caused such drastic change in my crown.  Is this temporary?

A little bit of history.  I have a bad cough in June and for 3 months it coughed no stop. I spend few hundred on medication during those period to stop the cough.  I see 3 different doctors.  First doctor gave me white cough syrup, 2nd doctor gave me brown syrup.  I also self medicate with my sister's red cough syrup and all didn't work. Doctors' prescribed lonzenges did'nt work and so were the medication.  I went to Watson to buy syrup and also tried the chinese pharmacist syrup. All didn't work.  Finally, I asked doctor to give me stronger medication and soon my cough subsided and completely healed in August.  Could my hair dropping has to do with over medication of cough syrup?

Also, recent months, I also suffered deep depression above my cough....

The funny thing is, my hair started to drop only in August...hmmm

Are these temporary or prolonged effect? will my hair become bushy again?  I just bough shampoo that stated it will prevent hair dropping, I doubt it works.

Any advice here?  I heard that eating Cod liver fishoil will help hair to grow back. Is this true?

I am scared of become bald. I love having hair.

Depression is link to a lot of stress so try to stay happy, best is to see doctor to see what they can do.

confine in a small rm with all the elctrical items cause radiation. imagine big tv, movie speaker, computer screen , cpu, fish tanks , rice cooker , printer, coffee maker , air cleaner machine, 3 handphone. 1 ipad plus ordering fast food 4 times weekly. How can one don t drop hair , stress and have bad cough?

Unlikely that any of those medications affected your hair loss. How old are you? It's not unusual for many guys to experience some kind of hair loss in their late teens/early twenties. The hair line on your forehead recedes, usually at the sides and sometimes a little at the top. Thats natural. In most guys it slows and then stops - at least for quite a few years.

If the hair is mostly disappearing from the crown of your head and you are between about 20 and 50, there is an effective treatment for that. I remember once watching the Oprah show years ago when questions were invited for one of her regular guests, Dr. Oz (yes, that's his real name)! He said most of the hair clinics and treatments advertised in newspapers etc. are basically charlatans and a waste of money. He added there were only two treatments that have proved to be effective. One is named Rogaine in the US and Regaine in the UK. I know it's available at Watsons and Mannings in Hong Kong. Not sure about Singapore. (And sorry cannot remember the name of the other treatment). Rogaine's main ingredient is minoxidil. YOu can check it all out on the internet.

Rogaine/Regaine has been proved to restore some hair on the crown and elsewhere. If you can get it in the US, a pack with 3 small bottles of liquid or gel covering 3-months treatment costs around US$70. In the UK, those same packs cost £70. In Hong Kong, just one bottle costs around HK$570 (US$73!!!!). So far better if you can get someone to bring it back from the US for you. But you should note that you need almost a year's treatment before hair grows back.

There is no shampoo that will stop hair loss!

Edited by wozzit

I think another effective treatment to restore lost hair in male pattern hair loss is finasteride aka propecia, if i'm not wrong.

Better to check with a doctor as this requires prescription.

But some bald guys are so cute and sexy ... nothing wrong with being bald actually.  ^_^

As one who uses Regaine, I can attest that it works! Check facts on relevant websites and talk to doctors rather than accepting advice that hair loss is related solely to "stress and wat u eat". It isn't! Much hair loss is in fact hereditary!

Edited by wozzit

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I search this forum.. surprise there is no discussion on this topic...

anyway am suffering from this problem.. now already early 30

Should i try shave botak?

been using many type of shampoo.. all dun seem to work..  :unsure:

The only practical method is hair transplantation.  But it is expensive.

If other methods would work, smart people would not pay so much for the transplants.  But they do.

Transplants need the existence of hair somewhere else on the scalp to move to the bald area.

So it only works as long as there is sufficient hair on the sides and back.

well u can try rene furterer u can get them to scan your scalp and then ask them to see whats wrong with yr scalp because when i first time use the shampoo rene furterer i don't like the smell but after when i use long time already i quite like the smell and i use complex 5 and astrea on different day and after i use toegetter with their rene astrea shampoo and oily curbicia shampoo my scalp have improve a lot and the  very handsome guy @ salon tell me that is because my scalp is oily that why i will have hair loss and of cause thinning hair but after i use for 3 yrs this brand it improve a lot 

You have first to recognise there r different types of baldness. The most common is a receding hairline on ur forehead which usually starts at the temples. This is a natural occurrence in most guys starting around the age of 19 or 20. Usually it slows down n stops, but in some guys it continues.

The other is when u start to lose hair from the crown of the head. Once this starts it rarely slows down n u develop a "bald patch". Another is when ur hair is too oily or too dry, as junwei points out.

Sadly, there are dozens of international hair treatments which advertise cures for baldness. Almost all of them cost a great deal of money n r a complete waste. They just do not work. Certain shampoos can help, but not by much because most hair loss is hereditary.

If u are getting a bald patch n r in the 20 to mid-40s age group, there is a liquid named Minoxidil u should try. The most common product stocked in pharmacies n stores like Watsons n Mannings containing Minoxidil n is called Regaine in the USA and Rogaine in the UK n Hong Kong. U must use this twice a day for several months before u notice a difference. But it is one of the very few products that does seem to work and is recommended by doctors.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a689003.html

This product is also not cheap. In the USA u can get a 3-bottle pack for around US$70 plus tax. In the UK its £70. In Hong Kong, even higher - around US$66 for just one. Each bottle will last just one month.

As I understand it, Regaine/Rogaine does not work at the front of the scalp. So a hair transplant may well be necessary. However, hair transplants need to be reassessed every couple of years or so, because they don't stop hair from falling out. They only replace lost hair. N since hair loss takes place over time, the transplant u have today will cover only the front part. Unfortunately the hair loss will continue behind the transplant. So it may take some years before you can relax n not spend more money.

Guest nubcake99

Note that all these chemicals and medication for your hair are not 100% workable. They need a huge amount of luck because sadly even hair care centres cannot vouch for miracle cures for hair loss. For hair follicle grafting, it costs a lot for a few strands of hair, and your hair can still die off.

You might want to consider, Hair replacement systems. Go and check out aremyhair.com.sg or google aremyhair or Amaze hair care.

Guest HopeforHair

Any end user experience to share about hair replacement systems such as aremyhair.com.sg? How much do they cost? And the recurring costs of maintaining it?

Where to get hair transplant in sg? I once heard alexandra hospital offers it, not sure if they still do?

• 2 weeks later...

Please see my earlier post #248. There r different types of hair loss on different parts of the scalp n different reasons. Probably the most common is hereditary, certainly with western guys. But please beware of all those hair loss clinics. They promote expensive treatments n expensive products which rarely work! Certain shampoos n massaging may help a little - but  they r not a cure.

• 1 month later...

I've been using gatsby hair products for years, the purple wax for 4-5 years and just changed to hair jam last year.

Recently I noticed my hair starts to drop more often, there is receding hairline in the front and someone pointed out to me there is a growing gap behind my head. Only 27 this year and always been proud of my thick luscious hair, however it is starting to thin out and I am so afraid of getting a bald patch. I know there is a ton of chemicals in these products but styling my hair has always been a routine. 

I've been using gatsby hair products for years, the purple wax for 4-5 years and just changed to hair jam last year.

Recently I noticed my hair starts to drop more often, there is receding hairline in the front and someone pointed out to me there is a growing gap behind my head. Only 27 this year and always been proud of my thick luscious hair, however it is starting to thin out and I am so afraid of getting a bald patch. I know there is a ton of chemicals in these products but styling my hair has always been a routine. 

I used to use the purple Gatsby Moving Rubber too (different from wax), quite a number of years ago. It is VERY difficult to wash out of the hair. It was nice to style with, but the chore of washing it out made me stop using it.

Were you using Moving Rubber or wax? Long term usage of Moving Rubber may have left residue in the scalp because it is so hard to get rid of. Hence the hair loss problem.

I'm also suffering from thinning hair, since about 4 years ago, not related to hair styling, I think maybe diet/lifestyle.

Thinning hair makes it harder to style, so you need stronger products, which may cause even more hair loss, so I decided to stop using hair styling products, only applying some hair wax (easily washable type) when attending a formal event/wedding dinner etc.

If you're worried about your hair loss, at this stage you can:

1) Consult certified trichologist/ get hair treatment. Professional trichologists can analyse the scalp problems. 

2) Consult doctor, take medicine like Propecia. It must be taken regularly and has some side effects though

3) Apply topical hair tonics like Rogaine, Neril etc. Must be done regularly.

1) is expensive, 2) is also quite costly and has side effects, so I only use hair tonics, I didn't apply them regularly because it is frankly a chore (I'm lazy), but it seems to have kept my hair loss in check.

I haven't tried Hair Jam, but maybe you can try using hair wax that is easier to wash off.

Recently I bought the smallest container of red Moving Rubber to experiment, it was fun to get a spiky look again. I get envious of guys with heads full of thick hair styled in cool looks, but I've learnt to live with my hair loss.

If you want to recover your thick hair, doing something about it asap though, the longer you put it off the harder it is.

I used to use the purple Gatsby Moving Rubber too (different from wax), quite a number of years ago. It is VERY difficult to wash out of the hair. It was nice to style with, but the chore of washing it out made me stop using it.

Were you using Moving Rubber or wax? Long term usage of Moving Rubber may have left residue in the scalp because it is so hard to get rid of. Hence the hair loss problem.

I'm also suffering from thinning hair, since about 4 years ago, not related to hair styling, I think maybe diet/lifestyle.

Thinning hair makes it harder to style, so you need stronger products, which may cause even more hair loss, so I decided to stop using hair styling products, only applying some hair wax (easily washable type) when attending a formal event/wedding dinner etc.

If you're worried about your hair loss, at this stage you can:

1) Consult certified trichologist/ get hair treatment. Professional trichologists can analyse the scalp problems.

2) Consult doctor, take medicine like Propecia. It must be taken regularly and has some side effects though

3) Apply topical hair tonics like Rogaine, Neril etc. Must be done regularly.

1) is expensive, 2) is also quite costly and has side effects, so I only use hair tonics, I didn't apply them regularly because it is frankly a chore (I'm lazy), but it seems to have kept my hair loss in check.

I haven't tried Hair Jam, but maybe you can try using hair wax that is easier to wash off.

Recently I bought the smallest container of red Moving Rubber to experiment, it was fun to get a spiky look again. I get envious of guys with heads full of thick hair styled in cool looks, but I've learnt to live with my hair loss.

If you want to recover your thick hair, doing something about it asap though, the longer you put it off the harder it is.

its not that bad yet. im using hair jam which is easier to apply because its watery and doesnt make my hair sticky. never apply the products near to your scalp just the tips of the hair. i guess age stress and other factors plays a part too... perhaps the shampoo i use too?

• 3 months later...

I think that one can say with 99.9% certainty that this shameless advertisement is totally false. A bunch of crap.

Although there are many precautions one can take in one's lifestyle to prevent or minimize hair loss,  hair that is lost by a healthy person who takes these precautions cannot be regained by any cheap miraculous formula.

The only biological or medicinal product to regain hair,  Propecia, offers little gain at the expense of money and side effects.

The surgical way of hair transplantation offers the best solution for those who have sufficient hair elsewhere to move to the bold areas.  The procedure is safe, painless, durable.  The only drawback is its cost. 

(This is comparable to the situation of elderly people who want to regain a more youthful look;  they can spend fortunes in creams, treatments,  but the best solution is cosmetic surgery, which is also the most expensive)

For a younger person concerned about the beginning of hair loss,  after consulting with a dermatologist that this is not caused by medical problems, maybe the best course of action is to accept the loss without getting desperate and fall for all the scams and all the products with false promises that abound,  but instead plan for a future expense of a hair transplant done by an expert hair surgeon (plastic surgeon). This action later on restoring good looking hair can also boost self confidence at a time when other attributes start to diminish with age.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I use this too[/quote

Hi, where to get this?

I'm using Joico Ice Erratic Clay with 2-3 spritz of water to 'soften' the product.

It kinda keeps the texture when you comb your hair back with your fingers.

Joico+ICE+3.4oz+Erratic+Molding+Clay.jpg

Where to get this?

I'm using Joico Ice Erratic Clay with 2-3 spritz of water to 'soften' the product.

It kinda keeps the texture when you comb your hair back with your fingers.

Joico+ICE+3.4oz+Erratic+Molding+Clay.jpg

Hi, where to get this

For male pattern hair loss (refer to the Norwood Scale), it is best to consult a dermatologist. From what I know, the most effective way to stop further hair loss is to use Propecia (Finasteride is the cheaper generic version). Note however that it has adverse side effects on about 3-5% of users.

I strongly recommend early diagnosis and treatment, as male pattern hair loss is an irreversible process.

• Guest locked and locked this topic
  • Guest locked this topic
  • 1 year later...
Guest Samurai

Starting a new topic because all of the older hair loss threads are closed. I am 35 and starting to lose hair on top of my head. The front of my hairline had been slowly receding for a few years, but it has become more notable in the last few months, and now the top part is thinning. My head has a shape that doesn't work with the bald look so I must have hair up there. I want to know if anybody has undergone a hair transplant and has any advice or recommendations for a surgeon or clinic?

I am leaning towards the newer FUE procedure, which everything I have read online says will not leave a scar, and they can even do this using beard hair. The older FUT procedure is less expensive, but leaves a scar, and I prefer to wear the hair on the sides and back of my head short. But if you had either a FUT or FUE, I hope you can share your experience, and advice. The situation is getting dire and I think I will need to do something about my hair within the next couple of months.

Guest guest

u can do a forehead reduction first so that they bring down the hair line and excise off some skin from the forehead or the top. This will reduce the balding area so that you can reduce the number of4 follicles transplant. It will cost more than ten thousand. Don't do it in singapore as they are overpriced and less experienced. Try korea or thailand.

I had thought my head wouldn't look good skinhead until I was proven wrong when I took the risk and did it. Same to a few of my friends. Many people had the same thought - it wouldn't fit them - until they did it. Probably worth a risk for you to take. Just a friendly suggestion. Cheers.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

• G_M unlocked this topic
Guest Ranger

Why should a hair transplant be the last resort? Buying products advertised with inflated claims to rub on his head will only waste time and money and he will probably end up going for a transplant anyway. The EPL football star Wayne Rooney and the NBA basketball star Lebron James were both going bald in recent years, but apparently got hair transplants before this past season, and now they both look about 8 to 10 years younger. Of course they are obscenely rich guys who can afford the best doctors in the industry.

Guest Phlashbach

To each his own. Some people feel that they must have hair. Not wigs or toupees or hats. I looked at 'before and after' photos of Wayne Rooney and LeBron James as mentioned above. Can definitely see a difference. Don't know how to post the comparison images.

• G_M changed the title to Hair Thinning / Hair Loss Problems / Hair Treatment & Hair Products Discussion (Compiled)
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.