Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

the atmosphere was electrifying during the countdown to the taking of the ariel photo.

i was also very moved when swee lin choked with emotion during her speech about how she is saddened by her gay friends migrating. reminds me of how much i love my homeland yet sometimes the policies here make me question why i should still remain here.

the atmosphere was electrifying during the countdown to the taking of the ariel photo.

i was also very moved when swee lin choked with emotion during her speech about how she is saddened by her gay friends migrating. reminds me of how much i love my homeland yet sometimes the policies here make me question why i should still remain here.

where s all the bosses from gay sauna and club? dun seems to see them at the event? yet want gay business.

Guest -curious-

is a gay gathering. why cant some one start the ball rolling by having a gay wedding there. wasted ? organiser dun have ideas?

Guest Lezard Cheung
is a gay gathering. why cant some one start the ball rolling by having a gay wedding there. wasted ? organiser dun have ideas?

it is not a gay gather lah. It is a gather for humans who believe that gay SHOULD NOT be locked up for having sex. But alot of my friends see it as an event to out themselves as they are aftaid that they will be spotted and photograph.. so they still wanna live closet life (actually to their family lah, but to the rest of the world.. hello? One eye can tell you are gay already hahaah.. dunno how they act infront of their family lah), so they never attend..

It is the first of it's kind, and I am very happy someone even bother to organise and people even bother to attend (given the stigma and general apathetic, all talk no action attitude of us Singaporeans.). And it is very easy for people to say things like.. organizers dun have ideas? Then you go ahead and organize the next one lah. We sure attend. And someone else will blast you for your lack of creativity..

========

Corrected by Gachi

Guest slayer

Typical Singaporean mentality of looking at the glass half full. Before you pass anymore comments, look at yourself in the mirror first and the image isn't a pretty one. This is the FIRST EVER gay pride parade so can't you just take it in stride?

For those who turned up (like me), good on ya, for those who didn't shame on ya.

The PINK DOT ambassadors were all straight people and if they could stand up for us, the least we could do was show our support by turning up. And what an even it was so I look forward to a better PINK DOT next year. Anyway a part of this project was also targeted at straight people to turn up to help support the cause to end discrimination. So if you are still in the closet, you could still turn up and pretend to be straight. hahahaha.....

Looking forward to a bigger, better and pinker PINK DOT next year.

http://docs.google.com/fileview?id=F.b38b5...5d-f012ddc9e7ab

well i just wanted to point out one particular comment in the whole thread.

ok maybe this url is better

http://issuu.com/kairin/docs/the_online_ci...ing_on_pink_dot

you need to log in with ur gmail account. feel free to share it with others.

i was reading it some time back after the whole pink dot event. and till date there were quite a number of comments on the whole article and pink dot in general.

all sort of comments... some made you wonder why all these people feels so negatively...

i wanted u all to scroll to page 26 however.

a comment left by a sec 3 boy.

although i never got bullied in school i could understand his situation.

thankfully my parents brought me up to be rational therefore even though the thought of suicide at that age did come to mind, i figured out what i need to deal with in order not to be sucked in to the whole negativity.

sometimes i feel being gay... as in a gay person (as opposed to sexually active gay person)... we put ourselves into the darkest moments of our lives at a much younger age and thus discover ourselves earlier...

my point here is it is sad to see that there are others who goes through it and may not discover that there are others like them and that they can find support.

not so much to change themselves but to realize that in time they will figure out what and who they really are...

Edited by bukitpanjang

Guest koguma

Thanks for alerting us this posting. It is sad to read such posting from a sec 3 kid.

If there are teachers here or anyone here have friends who are teachers, perhaps can help to alert them to look out for similiar cases in their schools.

Btw, if u read other postings on the same discussion thread, it is really sickening to read those posting by "conservativevoice".

Thanks for posting the original article. I am not Singaporean, therefore I have absolutely NO voice in what happens in the country, and according to dicheads like 'conservativevoice' I should probably just get out of here.

But it makes me sick to listen to these holier-than-thou morons (like the the feminist mental) rant on about what they know is best for other people. but I think that the whole phobia that's going around from the christian taleban now - like the "CV' poster is going to screw up so many kids that this country could be looking at an emotional disaster.

Edited by angmoh69

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much, OP, for bringing this to light. I dont browse regularly, and just happened to stumble upon this.

And no, dont have to log in any acc to view,

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/hundre.../#comment-87407

comments near the bottom.

Sorry for bumping a relatively old post, but I'm feeling so...worked up over this.(pardon me) I suddenly feel like, being gay people, and being different, we should really support people like us. Being only 20, and coming out when I was in sec 2, I could really relate to his pain. And I feel such disgust! towards certain comments. yea, esp those by conservativevoice. So backward, their thinking.

I really wish I can do more, do something to help the poor kid. He sounds really...lost. I just hope he doesnt do anything stupid..

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Dear all in BW,

I am passing on the information on PinkDot's Fundraising Tea Party on this coming Sunday. :)

cheers...Bryan

Dear friends,

We’re gearing up for Pinkdot #2 and you can help by coming to our fundraising tea party:

http://pinkdotsg.blogspot.com/2010/03/pinkdots-tea-party-fundraiser.html'>http://pinkdotsg.blogspot.com/2010/03/pinkdots-tea-party-fundraiser.html

On 16 May 2009, a pink dot was formed on the little red dot of Singapore, when 2,500 fellow citizens turned up at Hong Lim Park to make a stand against prejudice and apathy. This year, it is our hope that this inspiring beacon of inclusiveness continue to shine – brighter and stronger than before.

You’re invited to our fundraiser!

By purchasing tickets to the party, you’ll go some way towards helping us defray costs of staging Pinkdot this year. With entertainment provided by Hossan Leong, Emma Yong and Voguelicious, in a snazzy setting with luscious nibbles and refreshments courtesy of House, this fundraiser looks set to be a rollicking, fun-filled prelude to our main event in May.

So put on your party best (pink please) and bring all your bff’s (all shapes and shades are welcome). Let Pinkdot's message of love ring even louder and clearer this year!

When: 3.30 to 6.30pm, 28 March 2010, Sunday

Where: House / Barracks Café, 8D Dempsey Road

Wear: The colour of our IC

Tickets @ S$50, inclusive of drink and finger food, sponsored by House.

A Fabulous Line-up to Raise Fun at Fundraiser!

Local actors, dancers and DJs will perform at PinkDot's 28 March 2010 tea party to help raise funds for the May 15 event. So come have tea with us, be entertained by our line-up of stars, and support the Freedom to Love:

http://pinkdotsg.blogspot.com/

Presenting:

Emma Yong

Unquestionably one of the great actresses and vocalists in the local theatre scene, Emma was recently seen in Glen Goei's film, The Blue Mansion. She is also well-known for being among Singapore's favourite stage trio, the Dim Sum Dollies.

Hossan Leong

A popular stage and screen actor, as well as comedian, Hossan has appeared in numerous plays and television shows. He performs regularly with the Dim Sum Dollies and was also part of the Chestnuts series of plays. To date, he has performed in more than 50 plays and many television programmes.

Voguelicious

The fanciest and sexiest dance crew in Singapore, Voguelicious has been described as THE male Pussycat Dolls. Watch them perform and they promise to "send shivers" down your spine!

DJ KFC

A regular at Loof and OverEasy, DJ KFC's 'no music, no life' philosophy has taken him through the multitudes of musical genres with true verve and appreciation. Known for throwing different genres into his mixes but always keeping the vibe and energy on the floor, his heart and soul shine through his feel good sets.

DJs Twoface

Probably the only cutesy girl disc jockey duo in Singapore, Grace Sunami & Linda How, aka DJs Twoface, never fail to come up with the freshest and juiciest tracks to keep those dancing shoes moving.

You may also like to confirm your attendance on our Facebook event page:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=373493780431&ref=mf

Thank you.

The Pink Dot organising committee

• 2 weeks later...

video is here:

message by Pink Dot:

Come 15 May 2010, Singaporeans are invited to celebrate the Freedom to Love with Pink Dot once again.

The following is a message from the organisers of Pink Dot:

This year, Pink Dot honours kinship and family – in support and in recognition of our parents, siblings, relatives and friends of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Singaporeans.

Growing up gay is never easy. But it is through the unconditional love, support and understanding of family members and friends that they are able to pull through; with the care, kindness and concern that sustains over periods of anxiety and hardship.

We believe that everyone inherently wants to feel accepted - like they belong.

This is why family values matter greatly to Pink Dot.

Beyond the emotional and psychological well-being that strong familial ties can provide, family values also go towards affirming who we are as a community and as a nation: cohesive and compassionate.

Yet, every family is different. No two grandparents, parents, children, siblings, uncles, aunties, etc, can be exactly the same.

We relate to everyone differently precisely because we recognise and appreciate, quite naturally, that every person is unique.

So what happens when "sexual orientation" is a trait that makes a loved one unique? Will you continue to love your gay parent, child, grandchild, sibling, cousin, nephew or niece unconditionally?

Come make Pink Dot with us on 15 May 2010 (Saturday) at Hong Lim Park! More than 2,500 people came last year and had a wonderful time. Help us enlarge the Dot this year to show the world that Singapore is a great place for everyone, straight or gay. Bring your families, friends and colleagues! To keep up to date with the latest information, befriend Pink Dot at http://www.facebook.com/pinkdot or join our Facebook Page.

Dear Pink Dot Organisers,

On behalf of ALL students, parents with kids, teachers, and tutors, i would like to say that the choice of the date 14th may is simply fxxked up! it is in the exams period! if you could jus shift it 1 week later, it will be more educationally speaking, friendly!

Trev

• 1 month later...

top-banner_side.gif

Last year in May, 2,500 people came to support the Freedom to Love. This year, we hope to make PinkDot bigger and pinker!

PinkDot is a platform that celebrates the Freedom to Love, regardless of whether you are Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender or Straight. We are made up of a group of straight and gay volunteers who care deeply about the place LGBT Singaporeans call home.

PinkDot is back this year, at Hong Lim Park, on 15 May 2010 – the International Day of Families.

3535733978_e66270879b.jpg

Venue: Speakers Corner / Hong Lim Park

Date & Time: May 15, 2010 (Saturday), 5:00pm - 6:30pm

What to wear: Pink (caps, hats, glasses, sunglasses and accessories are recommended.)

What to bring: Anyone who supports the freedom of LGBT Singaporeans to love! Note that this is a family-friendly event.

Who will be there? Adrian Pang, Tan Kheng Hua, DJ Big Kid, and more! Check out our Facebook Event Page

What to expect: Performances, freebies, and the formation of a huge human pink dot (a photograph of which will be taken from a vantage point nearby).

This is a 100% legit and legal event. It is NOT a protest, rally or demonstration, but a simple gathering of like-minded Singaporeans.

3536568884_fc30e7da29.jpg

MORE ABOUT PINK DOT

WATCH Video of Pink Dot 2009

Time-lapse video of Pink Dot 2009 formation with 2,500 people:

The Pink Dot Channel on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/pinkdotsg

Facebook Event page:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=112331712126338&ref=mf

Pink Dot Fan page on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pink-Dot-SG/136911488303?ref=nf

JOIN Pink Dot Sg on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=41037205735

Pink Dot SG official website:

http://www.pinkdot.sg/

Pink Dot SG blog:

http://pinkdotsg.blogspot.com/

3535944548_ebc0f76415.jpg

click to enlarge

COME MAKE PINK DOT ON 15 MAY 2010!

adrian1.jpg

Adrian Pang says family support matters when coming out

johnson1.jpg

DJ Big Kid reflects upon the impact of ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ within families

khenghua1.jpg

For stronger people, families and societies, give 'good love', says Tan Kheng Hua

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEOS

Edited by brick

I missed it last year so for this year, I'm definitely going. My friend invited me to go along with her and I couldn't say no :P plus, it will be a good photo-op! It's awesome to see so many people who are supporting for a more equal society coming together for a great event. Can't wait!

If the world don't suck we'd all fall off.

I will be attending Pink Dot this year. I missed the last year event. So excited for this event. Hope that fellow BWers will go there to support it. See ya'll there.

I'm 36 168 58 sweet and friendly guy looking for oral fun, hangout buddies, badminton buddies, and bf/partner if possible

Guest gay gay

Pinkdot is an important avenue to path way for future gay pride party and than extend beyond into chingay and national day parade. I hope to see such event transpire into greater height in Singapaore. *shhh*

Pink Dot 2010: Stepping forward to support families

Pink Dot 2010

Venue: Speakers Corner / Hong Lim Park

Date & Time: May 15, 2010 (Saturday), 5:00pm - 6:30pm

What to wear: Pink (caps, hats, glasses, sunglasses and accessories are recommended.)

What to bring: Anyone who supports the freedom of LGBT Singaporeans to love! Note that this is a family-friendly event.

Who will be there? Adrian Pang, Tan Kheng Hua, DJ Big Kid, and more! Check out our Facebook Event Page

What to expect: Performances, freebies, and the formation of a huge human pink dot (a photograph of which will be taken from a vantage point nearby).

This is a 100% legit and legal event. It is NOT a protest, rally or demonstration, but a simple gathering of like-minded Singaporeans.

4475770417_eb812c5ce4.jpg

Guest In the Pink

From Fridae http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2010/05/16/9930.4000-attend-singapores-second-lgbt-supportive-public-rally

4,000 attend Singapore's second LGBT-supportive public rally

by Sylvia Tan

Over 4,000 people turned up and turned Hong Lim Park pink as a show of support for their LGBT friends, family and community, and making it the largest event ever held at the urban park.

It broke last year's record and made prime-time news the same night – marking the first time a gay (supportive) event received coverage on local television.

Top image: Ambassadors for Pink Dot 2010: prominent veteran actors Tan Kheng Hua (left), DJ Big Kid aka Johnson Ong and Adrian Pang (right); Eileena Lee (left) with her mother, Mdm Yap (middle); 2nd image from bottom: Glen Goei (2nd from left) and Ivan Heng (2nd from right).

The 30-second clip on Singapore-based Channel NewsAsia showed participants in a carnival-like atmosphere and cultural performances at Hong Lim Park where over 4,000 people turned up to show their support for the gay community by forming a huge pink human dot on Saturday. The record turnout makes Pink Dot 2010 the largest public gathering at the Speakers’ Corner, Singapore’s only government-designated venue for public assembly and free speech where a police permit is not required. The inaugural Pink Dot event, held at the same venue last year, was attended by 2,500 people.

Roy Tan, one of the organisers of Pink Dot, told Fridae, "I think it is groundbreaking in that this is the first time Singapore television has reported on a local LGBT-supportive event in positive terms."

The 50-year-old health-care professional said he considers "the use of the phrase 'lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Singaporeans' to be a milestone" [on local television] because it "raises public awareness of the existence of our community and our struggle for equality in the face of misconceptions, prejudice, discrimination and hate."

Although laws against oral and anal sex (and along with it lesbian sex) were repealed in 2007 after an extended public and parliamentary debate, Singapore continues to criminalise sex between men under Section 377A of the Penal Code.

Gays and lesbians in Singapore have often been accused by anti-gay "pro-family" groups of being anti-family, and acceptance of gay and lesbian individuals to be against societal and moral values.

With that in mind, organisers say the campaign seeks to "underscore the importance of celebrating diversity in its myriad forms amid social prejudices that continue to exist today."

The event date, organisers said in a statment, was chosen to coincide with the International Day of Families and aims to "raise awareness and foster deeper understanding of the basic human need to love and be loved, regardless of one’s sexual orientation."

"The bond between family members is unique and irreplaceable – yet, there are those who choose to deny themselves this privilege that many others take for granted. Many LGBT Singaporeans choose not to reveal their sexual orientation to their loved ones, worried that their honesty will push family members away."

A series of videos released weeks before the event had several sets of parents and family members of gay, lesbian and transgender individuals talk about their journey towards accepting and supporting their loved ones.

Actor and father of two Adrian Pang, one of the three ambassadors who appeared in a publicity video and present at the event, said: “Pink Dot carries a meaningful message about the belief that we all have a right to love and be loved. These values about love and harmony are ones that I would want to impart to my two boys – to teach them that life is so much happier when we live with love, understanding, generosity of spirit and compassion.

“This is why Pink Dot is significant. Things and views won’t change overnight, and the wider society will take some time to understand LGBT issues. But it is a start to building positive attitudes to a more open, inclusive and loving society.”

Agreeing with his sentiments is Ivan Heng, the founding Artistic Director of theatre company Wild Rice – who cheered the crowd on at Hong Lim Park alongside Glen Goei, both of whom wore white and pink-polka dotted dresses by Frederick Lee – told Fridae: "The idea is for us [the LGBT community] not to be invisible. We aren't and won't be invisible anymore."

Hong Lim Park becomes a sea of Pink,

with over 4,000 turning up for Pink Dot 2010

Singapore, May 15, 2010 – Over 4,000 pink-attired people gathered at Hong Lim Park today at 6pm to form a giant pink dot in a show of support for inclusiveness, diversity and the freedom to love. This makes Pink Dot 2010 the largest public gathering ever seen at the Speakers’ Corner since its opening in 2000, and is nearly twice the number of people who turned up at last year’s event.

28387_1329875364723_1166152950_30785599_7183723_n.jpg

The milestone event, held for the second time here, is organised by a group of local volunteers and aims to raise awareness and foster deeper understanding of the basic human need to love and be loved, regardless of one’s sexual orientation. This year’s theme is family, and the peaceful event was attended by both straight and gay Singaporeans and permanent residents, some who came with their family members.

Pink Dot spokesperson Jack Yong said: “We are immensely gratified and touched by the show of solidarity and support that Singaporeans have given us. Pink Dot 2010 has reached out and moved even more Singaporeans, straight and gay

“It is extremely uplifting to know that Singaporean families are strong enough to look beyond the labels and social prejudices that Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered Singaporeans face to continue to love and support one another. Pink Dot 2010 is not a demonstration nor a protest, but a celebration of love and kinship.”

In 2009, the inaugural Pink Dot, held at the same venue, saw 2,500 people in attendance. The peaceful event garnered extensive local and international press coverage, including the BBC and New York Times. Today’s gathering is a further indication of Singaporeans’ increasing awareness and support for the LGBT community – and significantly exceeding 2009’s turnout.

Three local celebrities – veteran actors Adrian Pang, Tan Kheng Hua and DJ Johnson Ong, also known as DJ BigKid – have stepped up as ambassadors for this year’s event. Adrian and Kheng Hua are parents themselves, and share a hope for a world where families can overcome the barriers to love.

Adrian Pang, 44, said: “Pink Dot carries a meaningful message about the belief that we all have a right to love and be loved. These values about love and harmony are ones that I would want to impart to my two boys – to teach them that life is so much happier when we live with love, understanding, generosity of spirit and compassion.

“This is why Pink Dot is significant. Things and views won’t change overnight, and the wider society will take some time to understand LGBT issues. But it is a start to building positive attitudes to a more open, inclusive and loving society.”

Actress Tan Kheng Hua said: “I am honoured to support the peaceful and loving event, which I believe signals a progress of a more open and inclusive Singaporean society.”

DJ BigKid added: “Seeing many Singaporeans at the event, both straight and gay, some who came with their families, was a moving experience. Pink Dot 2010 touched many lives, and is a landmark event in Singapore history.”

Pink Dot 2010 aims to highlight stories of honesty, openness and the strength of families who have unconditionally stuck by their loves ones, in the hope that all Singaporeans will join in celebrating the freedom to love within families, where sexual orientation represents a trait, not a barrier.

Pink Dot co-spokesperson, Stephanie Ong, said: “Although the presence of more LGBT individuals is slowly emerging into the mainstream, present societal attitudes keep many others from coming out of the closet. They fear that their honesty will cost them their family, friends, and even their jobs. We believe that Pink Dot 2010 carries a symbol of support and solidarity which will go a long way.”

PINK DOT

Guest Erotictales

Was reading some of the other local forums. The Christian astroturfers are back. With their usual trash. "This is a disease." "You cannot tell right from wrong." "This is destroying the nucleus family." "Freaks." "Monsters." Etc.

A lot are actually glorifying and thanking Thio Li Ann and Josie Lau again for being upright champions of the country.

Re Josie, I always found it unbelievable. Here was a woman complete in belief in lying at work. And she's a moral champion? If you were a business owner, do you want someone like that working for you?

I find it unbelievable too that a parent supporting and loving his/her own gay child is now "gay agenda," faggot," "trying to silence the majority," etc etc.

And that's how sick these people are. As long as you don't COMPLETELY support them, you are decadent, evil, diseased, deserving of AIDS etc etc. They attack anything and anyone with everything.

Ironically, they also seemed to fulfill their own twisted prophercies. The harder you push, the bigger the backlash. Because the Thios pushed so hard, Pink Dot materialized, with the support of a significant part of the nation. Because Rony Tan pushed so hard, the serene Buddhists struck back openly. Because John Chew and that Indian Bishop insist on discrimination using beautiful,shallow words, they now need to think twice about a public speech.

And Thio Li Ann got booted out of parliament, out of credibility.

Interesting world, isn't it?

Was reading some of the other local forums. The Christian astroturfers are back. With their usual trash. "This is a disease." "You cannot tell right from wrong." "This is destroying the nucleus family." "Freaks." "Monsters." Etc.

A lot are actually glorifying and thanking Thio Li Ann and Josie Lau again for being upright champions of the country...........

Interesting world, isn't it?

Sad to say. YES..... I read in the replies to newspapers etc, that many people who wrote are under the influence of their religion, from anti-hotel hourly charges to semi-nude pictures of Wild Rice men in print, but they did not object to girls in bikinis, panties and bras in advertisements. You will find a certain pattern by the way they write.

These people are just pawns under the "mind-games" of their religion. It is an established fact that religion together with music, words etc can influence the mind and actions. The heavy rock music that Today's Religion uses is very effective. When the audience is high, they will be receptive to whatever you say. Attending religious services is like going to a concert and get "high".

They will continue to "win" as they say they have the garment on their side.

LGBT should project a positive image to the public and the people around them. Better stop exhibiting the image that gays are sex-hungry, only then will you have a bigger bargaining power.

references:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mind_control

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-cult_movement

Guest Erotictales

Yes. And now they're saying this is all "Gay Agenda" and "purposely disrupting the peace of the nation."

Why is a parent expressing love for his child disrupting peace? What do they expect these parents to do? This is their so called "love the sinner?"

Frankly, I have never seen malice and hypocrisy in a purer form.

Fortunately, their attacks on other segments of society has effectively resulted in the government's distrust. The thieves and liars they are, it's a matter of time before they discredit themselves further and the government take a harder stance on their garbage.

Guest question about John Chew

Because John Chew and that Indian Bishop insist on discrimination using beautiful,shallow words, they now need to think twice about a public speech.

Hi Erotictales, can give more details about the above? What happened?

Guest Erotictales

Hi Erotictales, can give more details about the above? What happened?

Remember last nov when John Chew got flamed for his speech about gays and divorcees etc etc?

His defense, later on, is the typical, he was speaking only to Christians. In a Christian context. He always teaches to believe in loving the sinner and hating the sin etc etc etc etc.

Which to me is pure, shameless trash.

1) Is he any magician who can stop his listeners from misinterpreting or extrapolating his words, and going out to discriminate against gays, divorcees, single parents etc in work, life, and society?

2) So he was speaking to Christians. He didn't exactly tell anyone though that these Christian values are only to be applied to other Christians, and never to Singaporeans of other beliefs. Right? So essentially, isn't he instructing his followers how to react to other Singaporeans? Isn't that a speech involving the whole country, in which other Singaporeans have the right and duty to partake in?

3) So where is the line behind that classic defense of love the sinner hate the sin? Any lines involving spreading of paranoia? Lurid screams in public and parliament? Vile, baseless accusations towards anyone refusing to be their ally? What exactly is love the sinner hate the sin? Jailing people? Destroying families? Subjecting people to medically damaging treatments? Endorsing liars? False accusations towards tens of thousands of people for spreading diseases and imposing stigma? Thio Su Mein wants to deny gays jobs in the civil service. So does Yang Tuck Yoong. This is love the sinner?

Guest blower

Dr John Chew is the Archbishop of the Singapore Anglican Church.

He is also the Vice-president of the National Council of Churches in Singapore (I think he was the former President), which comprises most protestants christian churches in Singapore.

He is also the Chairman of Global South, which comprises 75% of all the world's Anglicans.

He has called on Anglicans in Singapore to unite against "alernative valves" such as homosexuality, etc.

He said its a good thing that "Josie Lau and gang took over Aware as it exposed the School Sexuality Progamme of Aware". Josie Lau is a member of her church.

Like Thio Li Ann, they call for the strict enforcement of the 377A Law to jail practicing homosexuals, he also call on the government to jail practicing lesbians (just like the gay men).

Some refernces:

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2010/04/26/9854.singapore-archbishop-john-chew-to-lead-anti-gay-bloc

http://fcasa.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/archbishop-john-chew-urges-anglicans-to-unite-against-%E2%80%9Calternative-values%E2%80%9D/

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2010/04/26/9855.singapore-homophobia-takes-world-stage

Dr John Chew is the Archbishop of the Singapore Anglican Church.

He is also the Vice-president of the National Council of Churches in Singapore (I think he was the former President), which comprises most protestants christian churches in Singapore.

He is also the Chairman of Global South, which comprises 75% of all the world's Anglicans.

He has called on Anglicans in Singapore to unite against "alernative valves" such as homosexuality, etc.

He said its a good thing that "Josie Lau and gang took over Aware as it exposed the School Sexuality Progamme of Aware". Josie Lau is a member of her church.

Like Thio Li Ann, they call for the strict enforcement of the 377A Law to jail practicing homosexuals, he also call on the government to jail practicing lesbians (just like the gay men).

Some refernces:

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2010/04/26/9854.singapore-archbishop-john-chew-to-lead-anti-gay-bloc

http://fcasa.wordpress.com/2009/12/01/archbishop-john-chew-urges-anglicans-to-unite-against-%E2%80%9Calternative-values%E2%80%9D/

http://www.fridae.com/newsfeatures/2010/04/26/9855.singapore-homophobia-takes-world-stage

everyday, people commit adultery and lie even people who attend churches. this is a fact. if he cannot stop this happening in churches, why should he be bothered what is happening outside the church?

• 7 months later...

Havent attended a single Pinkdot event but after watching the footages online i am quite curious..

This event seems to be dominated by people from the music/theatre/arts/media industries...the performace, emcees (basically where all the noise of the day came from) are all people belonging to that core.

How about the other professions? are they not represented? I really don't see how people wearing pink going to a picnic with rowdy performances from gay pple in the theatre scene helps in creating a positive image for gay people...it looks more like a demonstration, an opportunity for loud gay people to make their voices (noises) heard...which turns out to be rather embarrassing in my opinion...

i'm not slamming the event, it has good intentions, but the execution doesn't reflect the message that gay people are part of a diversed society , from all walks of lives, of different personalities..

I was quite disappointed honestly

Loud or not loud, they are part of our community. Instead of making remarks on em, why not we just accept them. Drag queens, loud gays, trans, butchy lesbians, str8 acting gays are part of our community. Thats who we are and doesnt means making our awareness and our stand we have to put up a show to be the same the heterosexual, telling them we are the same as em.

Maybe there are ppl from other professional in the event and just that is was not featured due to protection of them losing their career.

Maybe instead of commenting here, why not join in the next one and may change ur opinion.

Guest xenophile

I dont really think thats a fair statement. I went down this year with my mom and sisters, and even my little 2yr old nephew and his dad. I looked around , I do agree there were people who volunteered their services who were from the arts and entertainment industry, and they were doing the one thing they are good at, which is getting their voices heard. Something I think was needed for the event. But, if you must know, those guys walking ard giving balloons, helping out, well, a few of them are from the army (not talking about nsfs). And they were doing the one thing they are good it. Saikang hahah.

But that day the loudest voices heard, were from the parents of people like Eileena, who were willing to share their life stories, with us. THese voices, well, I dun think these mom's and dads are in the 'colorful' industries. Their son's and daughters do represent us sufficiently, i believe.

The lesbian, the transexual, and the gay men. Each from a different segment of society, a different subsection of our little pinkdot in this little red dot.

E's mom showed my mom that there are many of us out there, and that there are parents who are probably going through the same thing as she is in facing my sexuality (i'm muslim btw. or, well, mostly on paper). And for me, the event had served its purpose. The one that truly mattered to me now is beginning to understand.

You have to come down and see it for yourself. Don't just judge from the videos. Of course you'll see mostly people who are loud and colourful. Because the rest of us arent that interesting enough to appear on the videos. Haha

Maybe next year, why don't you volunteer to have your story featured in their videos?

Edited by xenophile

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.