Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

Maybe i should pay a visit next year...

i just hope that the event is not just about singing, dancing and entertainment. They are loud and attention grabbing doesn't mean they should be over-represented in an event, at least in event that intends to campaign for a diverse group of people...

Troy17: so u are trying to say if ur job is affected then u should stay mum, no one's asking them be interviewed, just that there isn't any sign or trail of their existence in that event, a bystander would just think that gays are by and large from those entertainment "freaks" (which clearly makes some sense, most gays love to explore and expound on their musical and theatrical talents). many other gay people are from quieter facades of the society, who may not want or need their presence to be felt at the event but at least a mere representation of them would show that the event is wholly inclusive of them.

I agree with the topic starter and I think it will be a good idea to feature people from other professions on the publicity youtube for pinkdot this year. Get the doctors, lawyers, teachers, journalists and bankers ... our men-in-blue and men-in-green, other professions and blue-clooar workers, footballers and sportsmen and women to come out to showcase the diversity of the gay population.

Went before 2 years back, for the first pinkdot. It was great fun. lots of glbt and their family in support.

Picnics, cultural performances from culture groups, Malay Deke Barat, Chinese Dragon Dance...

I agree that it felt like a demonstration that we as gays are out there and not invisible. But all in all it was a happy and light hearted demonstration. If anything, you get to meet lots of other PLU. :P

Planning to go for the one this year.

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

Went before 2 years back, for the first pinkdot. It was great fun. lots of glbt and their family in support.

Picnics, cultural performances from culture groups, Malay Deke Barat, Chinese Dragon Dance...

I agree that it felt like a demonstration that we as gays are out there and not invisible. But all in all it was a happy and light hearted demonstration. If anything, you get to meet lots of other PLU. :P

Planning to go for the one this year.

alamak...thanks for giving me the best reason to go...hahaha to get to know more PLUs...trust me,that doesn't work...most of them dun wanna know me cuz i am not hot and cute and sexy...lol..

have you seem the footages of the one in 2010...omg...i wish they could do something diff, make the event more representative so that it could really touch the hearts of people working and living with PLUs..

i know the organisers (i believe are actors themselves) really put in effort to make the event happen, but perhapds cuz they are pple from the media, so they kinda skew the focus of the event toward the entertainment industry...hope something different happens for the next one...maybe we can have a pink heart rather than just a small misrepresented pink dot

alamak...thanks for giving me the best reason to go...hahaha to get to know more PLUs...trust me,that doesn't work...most of them dun wanna know me cuz i am not hot and cute and sexy...lol..

have you seem the footages of the one in 2010...omg...i wish they could do something diff, make the event more representative so that it could really touch the hearts of people working and living with PLUs..

i know the organisers (i believe are actors themselves) really put in effort to make the event happen, but perhapds cuz they are pple from the media, so they kinda skew the focus of the event toward the entertainment industry...hope something different happens for the next one...maybe we can have a pink heart rather than just a small misrepresented pink dot

Ah give yourself a chance. I was there and met a lot of people i didn't know.

also, not as if i'm cute looking either.

Tell you what. if you want, we can go together and enjoy the day there. Just drop me a message if you're still interested.

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

Ah give yourself a chance. I was there and met a lot of people i didn't know.

also, not as if i'm cute looking either.

Tell you what. if you want, we can go together and enjoy the day there. Just drop me a message if you're still interested.

well..till next year...

always wanted to go but never quited dared to and besides i don't have friends to go with either

well..till next year...

always wanted to go but never quited dared to and besides i don't have friends to go with either

Why wait until next year? there should be 1 in 2011. ;)

Go lah. meet you there. if it's a flop, i'll take you to lunch :P

PinkDot is a community event that took place at Hong Lim Park in the past 2 years.

I was there twice and I must give due credit to the organisers and each and everyone present.

Why only media people for their publicity? Well, first and foremost, they are well-known personalities.

Their presence shows their support of our community.

Why not other professions?

Hello, this is Singapore... who wants to pecah-lobang... break their rice-bowl?

I supported the event wholeheartedly and will do so in all the future Pinkdot!

Guest jericho

YO onlyhuman,

u are one narrow minded arse.

In the first place, if yr comments are made based on the videos u saw, u must be a dumbass not to know or notice that a number of these arts/theatre people fronting the video/event are straight...and they are doing this for us because they believe that us gays should have a voice too. And since they (gay& straigh) already have a voice because of their public position, they have offered to do the video/event to help jumpstart this entire thing for us. They are from the media but they are not skewing the event only to entertainment and give the impression that this is what gays are about. This is merely a tool.

Since you are so very dumb, mayb I can try to help. You can try to look at it from how last year's F1 race held in Singapore was organised. F1 is about racing supercars. But over the 3 nights of the key races, there was also a major concert going on with some of the biggest international singing stars coming to perform at the padang, which happens to be right smack in the middle of the race track. What has entertainment got directly to do with racing? Nothing. But the organisers of the race are smart enough to know that they can get more people to know and get more interested with the message/interest of F1 racing by bringing in people who would normally not come for an F1 race but would go for the concert to catch the big stars. And boy were the concerts packed with people like me who went only for the concert but who left learning more about F1 cars than I could have ever imagined. This is the power of public faces and this is what this arts/entertainment people whom you have slammed were trying to do.

I am one person who shudder when i see gays being represented anywhere as limp wristed and loud, and if i see such loud and over the top gay boys in public i get very disappointed as we ourselves are not helping to put a better light on ourselves. I also really hate seeing these loud OTT gays in public, and yes I do agree with you that when i see some of these entertainers dress up in drag etc and are loud in public, i dont like it. But i dont think PinkDOT is just represented by them.

If u think u can do better, great, then get off your high horses and do something to help change. of course if more gays from various industries are more than willing to front these videos, then im sure these 'loud' arts/theatre people will be more than happy to take a back seat. But it is not their job to find these people, it is up to us to step forward.

Either dat or as Troy17 correctly say, we should learn to accept all kinds.

ps I have never been to a PINKDOT event and I have never felt a strong need to have my say over another person's view but as i said at the beginning, onlyhuman, you are one narrow minded arse.

YO onlyhuman,

u are one narrow minded arse.

In the first place, if yr comments are made based on the videos u saw, u must be a dumbass not to know or notice that a number of these arts/theatre people fronting the video/event are straight...and they are doing this for us because they believe that us gays should have a voice too. And since they (gay& straigh) already have a voice because of their public position, they have offered to do the video/event to help jumpstart this entire thing for us. They are from the media but they are not skewing the event only to entertainment and give the impression that this is what gays are about. This is merely a tool.

Since you are so very dumb, mayb I can try to help. You can try to look at it from how last year's F1 race held in Singapore was organised. F1 is about racing supercars. But over the 3 nights of the key races, there was also a major concert going on with some of the biggest international singing stars coming to perform at the padang, which happens to be right smack in the middle of the race track. What has entertainment got directly to do with racing? Nothing. But the organisers of the race are smart enough to know that they can get more people to know and get more interested with the message/interest of F1 racing by bringing in people who would normally not come for an F1 race but would go for the concert to catch the big stars. And boy were the concerts packed with people like me who went only for the concert but who left learning more about F1 cars than I could have ever imagined. This is the power of public faces and this is what this arts/entertainment people whom you have slammed were trying to do.

I am one person who shudder when i see gays being represented anywhere as limp wristed and loud, and if i see such loud and over the top gay boys in public i get very disappointed as we ourselves are not helping to put a better light on ourselves. I also really hate seeing these loud OTT gays in public, and yes I do agree with you that when i see some of these entertainers dress up in drag etc and are loud in public, i dont like it. But i dont think PinkDOT is just represented by them.

If u think u can do better, great, then get off your high horses and do something to help change. of course if more gays from various industries are more than willing to front these videos, then im sure these 'loud' arts/theatre people will be more than happy to take a back seat. But it is not their job to find these people, it is up to us to step forward.

Either dat or as Troy17 correctly say, we should learn to accept all kinds.

ps I have never been to a PINKDOT event and I have never felt a strong need to have my say over another person's view but as i said at the beginning, onlyhuman, you are one narrow minded arse.

You are just as good as my stinky arse...as dumb and sweeping as a baby..i shan't go on further with calling people names cuz that is just not me, just reciprocating your attitude...you may not be over the top in person but clearly you are in a forum...so what's the diff? Have you read wad u wrote? u feel there is a need to accept all kinds yet you get goosebumps when u meet loud gay pple...what the...

and wad's an F1 race gotta do with pinkdot. If anyone as dumb as you still dont get the elementary difference, one is a sports/commercial/money-making event and the other is an awareness campaign and that's why singers and entertainers were invited to the F1 race, Mr. know-it-all..

since you and i havent attended a single pinkdot, why are you supporting it whole-heartedly and putting my statements down...and besides, i too do think that the organisers did put in effort but am hoping to see something diff this year (if there is one). i do know that the couple who organised the whole thing are straight people and they would be VERY upset to see us bombing each other here..and since i havent attended any of it, the only way to know more is thru the videos posted, and many other who wanna know more will be watching the same videos and drawing conclusions from those..this is a form of Communication..

whatever it is, it's impossible for any event to be perfect and i m sure Pinkdot isn't perfect, i am just injecting my opinions on how it could be better...so wads wrong with that? Your comments are not at all constructive, just plain argumentative...

-------------------

nobody ask the other professions to go there and give a speech la, there are many ways to organise and event to show inclusiveness, just by dancing and singing dunt really do much...it just makes a lot of noise, maybe thats the point of the event, i really have no idea, but i think it doesnt reflect much of the gay community

----------------------

if your friends went to support then good for you...take some pictures and post in on facebook...duh?

Wow, this chat has degraded quickly.

Whatever the case, I will be going this year. Anyone who wants to come as well can,

-come along

-come by yourself

-come as you are

-come and then cum

-come in a costume

-come incognito

-cum in Cognito (whomever the hell is Cognito, hope he's cute :P )

-come with your BF

-come with your GF

-come with your Badass

-come with your Fag Hag

-come with family

-come with friends

-come with frienemies

-come plain

-come FABULOUS

-come what may, come what may. I will love you until my dying day (from Moulin Rouge)

-just come :thumb:

• 4 months later...

Dear friends,

We are proud to announce the unveiling of our promotional video for this year's Pink Dot produced by award-winning director Boo Jun Feng.

It is a poignant but heart-warming montage of the scenarios LGBT Singaporeans often find themselves in on a day-to-day basis.

You can watch it here:

Thank you.

The Pink Dot 2011 organising committee.

Hey does anyone know where you can get that really cute pink dot doll the guy attached to his bag? Man, the organizers should sell them to raise money for the event. I reckon a lot of people will buy it. It's darn cute.

Guest i want to join

if i want to join.. do i need to buy a ticket? or wearing pink colour t-shirt?

anyone being there before?

does it means joining the event equal to turn out?

Guest Guest

if i want to join.. do i need to buy a ticket? or wearing pink colour t-shirt?

anyone being there before?

does it means joining the event equal to turn out?

is FOC, don't have to buy a ticket.

it will be good if u can wear pink, but the organiser won't stop you from participating in the forming of the pink dot if you are wearing other colours.

damn, if i join.. can i wear mask? :oops: paiseh sia...

Many people have taken their first step, to remove the mask they use to wear, and show the world who they really are. Put a face to the campaign, so all our voices can be heard. We're here for you. No need to be paiseh :)

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely there should not be any worry or fear...

Just join the event as a spectator-participant...

Just have a daash of pink of you... pink T-shirt, pink bag etc.

I had a plastic pink panther (toy from Japan) on my shoulder for the first year.

Last year, I wore a white T-shirt but had a pink scarf around my neck....

You can look a million bucks with simple dressing..

Whether closted or not, RELAX lah, so what if you meet someone ...

Just walk over and greet each other....

Not going, unfortunately. :(

Going back to hometown to celebrate a family member's birthday.

Can the admin correct the title spelling error btw? :P

Edited by qedcwc

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

"pint dot"... omg lmfao.

anyway i'm going with my classmates. but if they abandon me at the last minute i'll pop by alone ^^

"The two of us are living in the same era, believing in the same future

Yesterday’s tears and today’s smiles will stay true

We’ve experienced the same pain, we’ve gathered the same kindness

And we’ll turn them into the strength to live on tomorrow"

progress - ayumi hamasaki

Go giordano buy cheap cheap pink polo... then can go liao... that's what I did :rolleyes:

BTW you don't need to wear pink to join the event wear white if you want to coz it blends well with pink...

If you're closeted, you can always go and if someone spotted you... you say you're supporting your gay friends lor :) Though that makes you a semi-hypocrite, but who cares?

I went last year and came back with some photos in facebook and yet friends either think I'm straight supporting my friends, or they didn't bother to know what's going on :B)

Guest :rolleyes:

I agree with the topic starter and I think it will be a good idea to feature people from other professions on the publicity youtube for pinkdot this year. Get the doctors, lawyers, teachers, journalists and bankers ... our men-in-blue and men-in-green, other professions and blue-clooar workers, footballers and sportsmen and women to come out to showcase the diversity of the gay population.

men-in-white ??!!

Countdown: 6 days to Pink Dot 2011 (Saturday, 18th June)!

Dearest friends,

Pink Dot 2011 will be happening this coming Saturday at 5 pm.

We have a brand-new programme lined up for you - a musical concert featuring the Dim Sum Dollies, Dave Tan (Electrico), Michaela Therese, Sebastian Tan as Broadway Beng, OMG winner Jill Marie Thomas, Rima S and the ever-luscious Voguelicious!

The major LGBT organisations in Singapore will also be on hand to show everyone what they have to offer.

Even if you don't have a single article of pink clothing in your wardrobe, come down to Hong Lim Park anyway. We have loads of pink accessories to be given out with which you can pinkify yourself.

However, we request that you do a bit of homework.

We are going to sing The Beatles' hit, "I want to hold your hand" at the finale, so you need to learn how to sing it.

Please watch a video of the song on YouTube:

See you there!

The Pink Dot organising committee.

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.