Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

Pink Dot - you guys are really into the 60s..

Last year - All you need is love... LOVE LOVE LOVE

This year - I want to hold your hand

I had downloaded into my Itunes/Iphone.. so if you find this matured man humming to this tune while jogging around .....(place cannot be disclosed), that's me...

What next? ... more Beatles (I like their songs ...)

Come Together

Cant buy me love

From me to you

Help!

I feel fine

Lady Madonna

Love me do

She (he) loves you .. yeah yeah yeah

We can work it out

Come make Pink Dot tomorrow! (Saturday, Hong Lim Park)

Dearest friends,

Tomorrow, Saturday, 18th June, is Pink Dot day!

Our concert will start at 5 p.m. sharp, but you may want to come a bit earlier, say, at 4:30 p.m., to visit the LGBT organisation "booths" or snap photos with our roving performers.

This is a RAIN OR SHINE EVENT. So, if you have a pink umbrella at home, do bring it along. If not, we have some to give away but supplies are limited.

The theme song for this year is the Beatles hit, "I want to hold your hand". Please take some time to learn how to sing it by watching this video:

The lyrics are in the video description section just below the video.

For our friends overseas who cannot join in the festivities, a live video feed of the event will be broadcast over the Internet. This is another first for Pink Dot. You will be able to watch it here:

http://live.insing.com/

See you tomorrow!

The Pink Dot organising committee.

Come make Pink Dot tomorrow! (Saturday, Hong Lim Park)

Dearest friends,

Tomorrow, Saturday, 18th June, is Pink Dot day!

Our concert will start at 5 p.m. sharp, but you may want to come a bit earlier, say, at 4:30 p.m., to visit the LGBT organisation "booths" or snap photos with our roving performers.

This is a RAIN OR SHINE EVENT. So, if you have a pink umbrella at home, do bring it along. If not, we have some to give away but supplies are limited.

The theme song for this year is the Beatles hit, "I want to hold your hand". Please take some time to learn how to sing it by watching this video:

The lyrics are in the video description section just below the video.

For our friends overseas who cannot join in the festivities, a live video feed of the event will be broadcast over the Internet. This is another first for Pink Dot. You will be able to watch it here:

http://live.insing.com/

See you tomorrow!

The Pink Dot organising committee.

You can use Kurt version of the song in Glee :P

Edited by autowil

Today is Pink Dot 2011, for me personlly, it means accepting the LGBT community around us. But more importantly, it is about accepting who we really are, step out of darkness and into the light. We should not be ashamed of who we are and we all have freedom to love. :)

Guest Pink sweet

I womder what straight ppl think about pink dot. Cos the main purpose of it is to let the society know and accept Gays community. The best ways to do that is we must behave well, must work hard and contribute to society. If we only do bad things, of course we cant be proud right? Let's all change our habits, change our attitude and make pink dot more appealing.

See u there at 5pm : )

I womder what straight ppl think about pink dot. Cos the main purpose of it is to let the society know and accept Gays community. The best ways to do that is we must behave well, must work hard and contribute to society. If we only do bad things, of course we cant be proud right? Let's all change our habits, change our attitude and make pink dot more appealing.

See u there at 5pm : )

Yea bro^^ we need to let society accept us and I agree wif u we should change our bad habits. Many ppl hv e wrong concept with our community bcos of e ways we behave sometimes. We should stand out n show them we r all e same n there's totally nth wrong being gay. Tt we all hv our freedom to love :)

:thumb: We should not be ashamed of who we are and we all have freedom to love.But we should not lust

over someone . In that way people will resept the PLU in Singapore. :clap:

Guest alien

I think pink dotis something like the yellow ribbon, society shld accept and support of pple out there, and u cann deny the fact tht they really such pple exists in the society.

Guest Pink Singapore

Pink dot means gay people are not alone. It means look at the numbers, don't meddle or bully us into submission because we have collective strength. It also means, we have supporters outside the GLBT group. It send message to the world that we have people from all walks of life, we lived under your nose and every human race whoever, whenever and wherever you are. It gives evidence to biologist, scientist, pscyhologist, religious leaders that is is not a choice but borned to be. It means in every square foot of this society, you are likely to bump into gay. Thus the message to the straight people is you can choose to live with it or suffocate yourselves.

Guest alien

Wow, looks like the number of pple attending is getting more and more over the yrs! *Thumbs up* So happy tht more and more pple are supporting the Pink Dot. :thumb:

Guest imseeker

I WAS AT PINKDOT!!!

Celebrities I personally saw in the flesh:

Irene Ang (need to do something about those freckles darling!!!)

Chee Soon Juan (family man lor, kids and wife in tow)

Did anyone see Nicole Seah?

OMG Nicole Seah was there!

http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/06/18/pink-dot-2011-attracts-more-than-10000-people/

Also saw many cuties, including one very cute mid-20s guy with his girlfriend who came to support.

Surprisingly there were many ladies, I estimate 40-50% of the crowd were females!

Also quite surprisingly, there were very few queeny/flamboyant types. Where were they? Instead I saw a wider spectrum of people.

Hong Lim Park is too small for 10,000+ people (record-breaking!), next year it should be held at the Indoor Stadium!

To 2 guys who were friendly to me, a stranger in a white tee shirt near Irene Ang's posse, just wanna say thank you!! :lol:

Edited by imseeker

Guest wise man

Ypu guys shouldnt see this as a good development...

I see politics being brought into picture (NS and CSJ).

Given high handedness of ruling party, it could be possible that the LGBT community ended up as a proxy in the political battle.

When politics is at play, the majority will be the kingmaker. If this type of movement goes overboard, i expect a retaliation from ruling party and mainstream public.

I expect the authority to take a tougher stance. More arrests (377A related) could be made and published on newspaper to make known the government and public's stand.

Guest imseeker

I see politics being brought into picture (NS and CSJ).

Nicole Seah and Chee Soon Juan attended in their personal capacities, not as representatives of any political party.

Save for the 377A issue, the event is entirely apolitical as regards local inter-party politics.

Hmmm when pinkdot today for the 1st time. Was humid man, ppl were fanning fanning themselves. But was great to see so many ppl there, familiar faces.. new friends, to support the event. Feel tho pinkdot was a simple event, but being there, to give support to the awareness to love freely n be loved freely is something great and to be thankful about.

Art makes the world go round! Love is the entirety of it!

blog: www.confusedfella.blogspot.com

Guest Black_Hat

I heard homophobic rants from some hidden place while sitting at a shelter near the pink dot. Tried to track down the source of those scums but had no idea where those cowards were hidden. Felt quite angry and demoralized by those rants..

Since i've only actually step into the gay scene this year at the age of 18, i was initially really hesitant if i should go to Pinkdot so young cos i thought it's for very "open" gays only. Well, i decided to go anyway.

Now i'm so glad i've attended Pinkdot, as i'm just yet another face within a crowd of 10,000, cheering for equality annonymously yet in the open. I feel proud of myself and everyone in the community. Will definitely be supportive at Pinkdot next year too =)

23 chn 173 63
trevvy/planetromeo same username
up for friends :)

Guest Uncle

I went with a friend from overseas and it was wonderful. There were so many different types of gays, lesbians, trans, straights, families, friends out in full force enjoying the sense of solidarity and togetherness. Well done!

Guest imseeker

Also want to specially mention a group of guys (dunno whether gay or straight but whatever!) who entered Hong Lim Park collectively at around 5.30 pm and started advertising "FREE HUGS" with cardboard placards. Ha ha!

I felt so proud at the end when the mass of pink balloons were collectively released into the sky. Drivers and pedestrians around the entire Clarke Quay, Chinatown and City Hall area could not have missed it...

Edited by imseeker

Guest Guest

I heard homophobic rants from some hidden place while sitting at a shelter near the pink dot. Tried to track down the source of those scums but had no idea where those cowards were hidden. Felt quite angry and demoralized by those rants..

Why should you?

Maybe they felt intimidated. LOL

Guest PInk soul

Any lucky charm found your soul mate at Pinkdot this year? If not, don't worry, next year will be bigger chance and the crowd will be twice the size you saw yestertay.

Kisses

Pink Soul

Guest Shame

pinkdot means i get to ogle at hot eyecandies and arrange for sex at a nearby place thereafter.

had fun with 2 hunks after it ytd. woohoo

What is ur problem? Why going around telling ppl u have sex after the event. Having sex does not bother me but ur sex attitude does.

If u had sex, good go brag it to ur friends, dont shout out in here, it's inappropriate and shallow.

All u can think of is sex. I know it's natural and sometimes ppl cant control. And that's the different between a decent person and a slut. Decent ppl have sex too, and i bet they enjoy it much more than you do.

Btw, pink dot is not a sex matching event so pls dont give it a bad name

芳林公园粉红色聚会 吁包容不同性取向

● 陈锦柏

大约一万名穿着粉红色汗衫的公众昨天聚集在芳林公园演说者角落,呼吁社会人士尊重及接纳不同性取向的人,让他们也能享受自由的爱情。

这是主办方“粉红点”(Pinkdot)第三年举行类似集会。参与活动者傍晚6时左右聚集在芳林公园中心点,把现场变成一个巨型的“粉红点”,除了是活动的象征标志,也传达人们应以包容心接受不同性取向者。

主办方称出席人数上万,比去年多出一倍。这相信是芳林公园设立演说者角落以来,最多人出席的活动。

现场宛如嘉年华会,有人举家野餐,有人刻意扮成小丑娱众,舞台上的歌舞表演也把欢乐气氛带入高潮。

这项活动由本地的志愿工作者组织,参加者包括异性恋及同性恋的本地人与外国人,但以年轻人居多。

主办方发言人凌子贻(27岁)说,新加坡的"粉红点"在互联网上也引起一些外国组织的注意,以"粉红点"为名的类似活动也在海外如纽约、伦敦、蒙特利尔(Montreal)等地举行。

从事资讯科技业的邵荣(50岁)坦言他是同性恋者,出席是为看新一代人如何以更宽容的心对待同性恋者。

他说:"作为同性恋者,我通常比较低调。因为社会还没有完全包容我们,常会以异样眼光看我们。希望这样的活动能逐渐改变人们的观点。我的家人并不知道我的性取向,毕竟他们的思想比较保守。我希望社会能尊重不同性取向者,就如同尊重不同的宗教信仰者。"

We saw 10,000 people showing up to show support for PinkDot yesterday. Today the Facebook, Internet portals and mainstream press covered the event extensively.

There was something else I saw in Hong Lim Park and it probably will not be picked up in any news. I saw some faces of anxiety. As I watched the people streaming out of the station into the park, some looked reluctant, some looked out of place, some in a wrong colour and some looked like they are ready to bolt. I am guessing apart from those who are just attending PinkDot for the first time because they could not do so for the past two years or others who took a wrong exit and got a shock out of their lives, there must be many who are taking their first bold step to be seen in a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities event, especially a big and very public one. Like how I stepped into a gay bar 10 years ago, my first instinct was "I wanted to get out of that place" even though there must be only 10 other people. I have seen these faces many times in Oogachaga's events, including one last year when a guy claimed to "stroll past" the Furama hotel lobby, saw our event and decided to join us. He looked like he want to fade into the wall so that no one could recognise him. I have learnt over the past few years, leave participants like him alone and do not suffocate them by being too enthusatic. They need that space and time to adjust.

For each of the 10,000 people who attended PinkDot yesterday, there will be another 10, 15 or even 20 others who decided not to come for a whole range of reasons. There will be some who ask "what after PinkDot, will the society change?", there will be some who see "PinkDot as discriminatory based on nationalities" despite on how much explanation the organisers gave and there are many who see this as a Chinese Singaporean thing. The list goes on. For those who attended, thank you for making there. For those who stayed away, as long as you are comfortable with your own reason.

A close friend reminded me when I was preparing an event proposal many years ago, the term to use in the proposal has to be the LGBT communities, and not a community. Simply because there are too many groups and segments within the LGBT population. I used to think that our only connection is that we are attracted to the same sex, now I think even that explanation is filmsy because we are attracted to many sexes or not attracted to any sex at all. In fact, we know so little about about each other and at times, we are just happily using the LGBT terms without putting much thoughts into it. The more I learnt, the more I realised that I do not know much.

And as I meet more people involved in LGBT works in the region, I have to re-adjust my opinions. A transgender lady reminded us at the recent Jakarta's ASEAN LGBTIQ caucus meeting that we need to be mindful on how words like "Pride", "IDAHO" or LGBT are used. Some phrases have different meanings and some are meaningless. As I am learning to define sexuality in our own local context, breaking away from the Western definitions, I am learning how diversity is taken for granted.

After the euphoria is over, reflect on how open minded you are towards others are different from you, in term of views, religious background, races, sexual orientation, gender identities and expression of his/her sexual-being. Be patient with someone who is struggling to find his/her place in this LGBT communities, hold his/her hands in the journey if possible Learn to live with differences.

The freedom to love is more than just an event. It is also an ideology.

Guest alien

Since i've only actually step into the gay scene this year at the age of 18, i was initially really hesitant if i should go to Pinkdot so young cos i thought it's for very "open" gays only. Well, i decided to go anyway.

Now i'm so glad i've attended Pinkdot, as i'm just yet another face within a crowd of 10,000, cheering for equality annonymously yet in the open. I feel proud of myself and everyone in the community. Will definitely be supportive at Pinkdot next year too =)

I personally think going to the Pinkdot doesn't necessary mean tht u r a gay, on the other hand by not going to the Pinkdot also doesn't necessary mean tht u r not a gay.

Just open ur heart and go there and support this event with an open mind. :)

Guest FirstTime

I just came out last year (23 this year, slow, i know) and this is my first time attending Pinkdot. I guess i am probably one of those who looked lost as this is the first time I am surrounded by so many wonderful people, it's a little intimidating. I had to sit at the bus stop half way through the concert before joining back for the forming of the dot ( I can't miss that out ). Thankfully, my best friend went with me and though we may come off as a straight couple, her presence made it so much easier. And the best part I guess would have to be the counting down and releasing of the balloons. I am not sure how much I enjoy sweating it out, I do know that I am very happy spiritually, and it also made me a lot more comfortable with who I am in this society. I do hope to join any event organized by Oogachaga in the future, or maybe even volunteering my service at Pelangi Pride Centre. This is just a start, and I am so thankful for Pinkdot.

Side note: I see a lot of teens, some maybe only 13, and all i want to say is, kudos to them. It's cool to see kids so accepting or comfortable with who they are. Respect.

What is ur problem? Why going around telling ppl u have sex after the event. Having sex does not bother me but ur sex attitude does.

If u had sex, good go brag it to ur friends, dont shout out in here, it's inappropriate and shallow.

All u can think of is sex. I know it's natural and sometimes ppl cant control. And that's the different between a decent person and a slut. Decent ppl have sex too, and i bet they enjoy it much more than you do.

Btw, pink dot is not a sex matching event so pls dont give it a bad name

I agree wif shame tat pink dot is nt a plc for sex matching. Pink dot is all about e acceptance of e LGBT community and e aceptance of who we really are. Im quite upset tt there are still ppl like Guest_1 who treat pink dot as a plc for getting sex. Yes. I agree tt sex is natural like wat shame had shared. But there is absolutely no neccesity to let e whole world noe wat u hv done, wat do u gain by doing tat? I personally feel tt it's really inappropriate.

Thank you for making Pink Dot 2011!

Dearest friends,

We would sincerely like to thank everyone who turned up at Hong Lim Park on Saturday to support the freedom to love.

The event received wide coverage in the mainstream media -

Channel News Asia:

The Straits Times:

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_681467.html

Yahoo! News:

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/record-10-000-turnout-pink-dot-155047382.html

Lian He Zao Bao:

http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110619_026.shtml

You may like to watch Pink Dot's own official video of the event:

We hope to see you again next year!

The Pink Dot organising committee

Guest Ironrod

Hehehe best is a guy asked me what's with all the pink.

While my mind was saying "Celebration for the gays, lesbian blah blah"

My friend just reply "We are celebrating the alternative love"

I like Pinkdot especially the "mascot" is really cute :D

Guest imseeker

Didn't go for PinkDot but I wore at least black & red outside. :rolleyes:

Was at church when PinkDot was going on LOL

black + red = ladybug

white + red = PINK

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.