Male HQ

Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)

reflection

Guest Guest

what can we do when we reach there? just stand there like an idiot sweating under the hot humid evening weather, looking at gays thats all?

and i dont think all gays will go there....i never been there before.

Well, this event certainly won't change the law overnight, the Conservatives are probably going to continue bitching their homophobic comments after this, and sluts and man-whores are probably just there to cruise for a higher chance of getting HIV. But other that, it's just like Pride events in other countries, except ours is more geared towards family, care, and understanding. It's more like a PR stunt to let the government knows people like us actually do exist.

https://merlinsfolio.wordpress.com/

https://medium.com/@merlincheng
"On the Internet, no one knows you are a cat."

It is to show those homophobes that we are humans afterall and that we come from all walks of life. Come on, this event is not only known within Singapore, it has also attracted attention from our LGBT friends all over the world. Don't you think the event deserves more credit here in Singapore?

Guest Guest

yes come, come, come .. ask our family members to join in, cook some curry to dip in french loafs, make some sandwiches and popiah rolls, have a picnic there ... it's family and friends get together time ... show Singapore that gays & lesbians are respectable humans too, no less, no more ... all we ask for is a little more understanding and acceptance. :)

Well, this event certainly won't change the law overnight, the Conservatives are probably going to continue bitching their homophobic comments after this, and sluts and man-whores are probably just there to cruise for a higher chance of getting HIV. But other that, it's just like Pride events in other countries, except ours is more geared towards family, care, and understanding. It's more like a PR stunt to let the government knows people like us actually do exist.

I think the government actually understands that PLU exists.

It's just that our government is more conservative and safe, and that they won't make a policy that favors LGBT unless they can be sure that there won't be any social disorder coming from parties who oppose homosexuals.

In other words, it is necessary to gain more acceptance from members of the community. And for controversial issues such as homosexuality, many people do adjust their own opinions in relative to what they believe people around them think about the issue. If a pro-gay is surrounded by people who are anti-gays, I think the pro-gay will just keep silent whenever the anti-gays make derogatory remarks about gays, or probably even pretend by speaking unfavorably towards gays. The premise is simple... people do fear to be isolated by the society, and they will comply to the norms of the majority.

What I think Pink Dot does is not only just to build understanding and cohesion (which is important in itself too, btw), but it actually increases the public visibility of LGBTs, and prevents pro-gays to become the voice of the minority. This is why I think we can do something about it simply by showing up. Numbers do count.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Dear All:

The organizer of Pink Dot is calling for volunteers for the coming event.

Do sign up here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?pli=1&formkey=dGxBWjNDUTBxb0ZrXzVOUGt3V1prTHc6MQ#gid=0"

Pink Dot 2012 will be on 30 June!

Last year, we had 10,000 participants. This year, we hope that more people will turn up to support the freedom to love. With more participants, and our especially challenging idea of a Night Pink Dot, we will need even more volunteers.

Please fill up this form to register your interest to be a volunteer, whether you are new, or have volunteered before; and even if you're already on the mailing list. This registration is to confirm your participation for 2012, and will help us organise and distribute assignments.

Don't forget to forward to your friends too!

More info on Pink Dot Sg here http://pinkdot.sg

:thumb: When I Think It, I Do It, I Win It! :thumb:

Yup I am volunteering too. Just add your name in and someone will add you into the volunteers google group. However there doesn't seem to have much buzz for the moment. Probably will get busier closer to the actual event. Already asked my gf to come and also bring her other lesbian couples and friends

Brian Kinney (Queer as Folk) - There's only two kinds of straight people in this world: The ones that hate you to your face... and the ones that hate you behind your back.

http://youtu.be/gxdgx2l0LP4

Pink Dot 2012 is coming on June 30th! Bring your pink lights!

Official site: http://pinkdot.sg/

Everyone should have the freedom to love, regardless of sexual orientation. But fear, ignorance and prejudice often stand in the way. At Pink Dot, we believe the first step to overcoming these barriers is for open-minded segments of society to come together. If you too feel that LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender) people deserve to express their love just like any other Singaporean, please join us at Hong Lim Park on 30 June 2012.

The light sticks or something are not provided? :o

Maybe they will sell it on site on tht day?

对自己好是一种幸福,

对别人好是一种积福。

Spend time counting your blessings,

not airing your complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

My friends and I won't be attending this year's Pink Dot.

In fact we never quite like such event.

Simply because it is just another staged show

While we want the world to accept our rights to exist and to love who we want to love, but among us, esp the gays, we can't even accept each other's differences.

The less preferred are often shunned, obtracized, or if not mocked by groups who think and judged them as ugly and inferior.

The minority, who are also less preferred, are often judged by their race, skin colour, ethnic group or even religion.

I don't have to say much because if you were to scroll through most the threads, such conflicts are manifesting almost every moment.

We are only humans, thus we will have our preferences, but only if we could accept such differences.

There maybe differences, but these differences doesn't need to oppose fiercely.

You already know there is a saying

" People will only love you, if you can start to love yourself first"

Translate it on a much higher and larger scale, the outsiders, will only start to love and respect us gays, only if we start to accept , and respect each other's differences among ourselves first, without the essense of hate or even violence to exist

Don't be offended its just a thought from me.

Enjoy yourself people.......

Guest Guest

You talk about the right to love like you know everything about it, but can't even find it in your heart to accept another human being of a different gender here in BW.

You ended up bashing her so badly with all manner of vulgarities and expletives, that she's afraid to even post using her account now.

Stop being a hypocrite talking about the right to love, all those fake words ring hollow when in reality you're a misogynist and nothing much else.

Guest Guest

You talk about the right to love like you know everything about it, but can't even find it in your heart to accept another human being of a different gender here in BW.

You ended up bashing her so badly with all manner of vulgarities and expletives, that she's afraid to even post using her account now.

Stop being a hypocrite talking about the right to love, all those fake words ring hollow when in reality you're a misogynist and nothing much else.

Clap clap!!!! Thumbs up!

Some people deserve no love or sympathy, especially trolls and the really stupid ones. :whistle:

She is "afraid" to post under her account now, but she sure dares to post under guest accounts.

You don't need to make a big guess where is she hidding and when is she posting under guest.

For eg...this post above me , which I am replying.

Because the smart ones can all see. :whistle:

Edited by TheVisitors

Guest Guest

A cheap and rude hypocrite like TheVisitors only knows how to take cheap potshots at others without any actual proof.

We'll blow this up big on behalf of the girl who has left, thanks to your cheebye attitude.

A cheap and rude hypocrite like TheVisitors only knows how to take cheap potshots at others without any actual proof.

We'll blow this up big on behalf of the girl who has left, thanks to your cheebye attitude.

Haha you really make me laugh.

If she thinks she is still right, why don't she continue to post but leave.?...obviously she knows where she stands.

Leaving "you" her "supporters" to do her dirty laundries and recycle her used pads for your own chee byes to use

Go ahead and post what you like because this is free forum, including some "group" of aunties like "you" with very itchy chee byes !!!

Using other people's used sanitary pads can cause your chee bye to itch even more you know !!!

;)

Guest Guest

Haha you really make me laugh.

If she thinks she is still right, why don't she continue to post but leave.?...obviously she knows where she stands.

Leaving "you" her "supporters" to do her dirty laundries and recycle her used pads for your own chee byes to use

Go ahead and post what you like because this is free forum, including some "group" of aunties like "you" with very itchy chee byes !!!

Using other people's used sanitary pads can cause your chee bye to itch even more you know !!!

;)

cMWQ8.jpg

Hello all

PinkDot has a booth this Saturday from 1pm to 8pm at *scape flea market and we are looking for "younger" PLUs who are keen to help out and sell the plushies and tell people about PinkDot. As you know the *scape crowd has alot of tweens :P

I believe they would need you for a shift of 2-3 hours. If you are not in the volunteer group already you can PM me for the organizer's email. If you can't commit to the timings, please just come down to our booth and give your support~

*Hope this is appropriate to post here, otherwise mods pls remove this. Thanks.

Brian Kinney (Queer as Folk) - There's only two kinds of straight people in this world: The ones that hate you to your face... and the ones that hate you behind your back.

Hello all

PinkDot has a booth this Saturday from 1pm to 8pm at *scape flea market and we are looking for "younger" PLUs who are keen to help out and sell the plushies and tell people about PinkDot. As you know the *scape crowd has alot of tweens :P

I believe they would need you for a shift of 2-3 hours. If you are not in the volunteer group already you can PM me for the organizer's email. If you can't commit to the timings, please just come down to our booth and give your support~

*Hope this is appropriate to post here, otherwise mods pls remove this. Thanks.

How young is "younger"? And why the age specific requirements? o.O

How young is "younger"? And why the age specific requirements? o.O

lmao i asked the same thing as well - they said that most of the organizers are in their 30s so they thought getting a few younger volunteers would help, since most people that go for *scape flea market are quite young. there's no max age but maybe in 20s would be ok?

Well if you believe your body can attract the attention of tween girls/gay tween boys/aunties/gay uncles/your fans and followers and stalkers on BW and sell the plushies/drive up publicity for Pink Dot... then by all means go ahead!!!!! LOL

Azorius ... I just PM-ed u the contact. Sorry I can't disclose the organizer's email on this forum as this is a public forum :S

Why many won’t be at Pink Dot

Posted on June 17, 2012

It really doesn’t require much effort to go down to Pink Dot, does it?

You’ve marked the date on your schedule, and selected your pink outfit. Catching the MRT down to Clarke Quay, you might bring some family members along, or have arranged to meet friends. You’ll end up having a great time, come home and tag yourself on all those gorgeous photos the next day.

But for many people, it’s not that easy.

Maybe they’re not feeling very good about themselves. Maybe they have difficulties coming to terms with being gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender or different.

Perhaps they’re unwell. With a mental health condition or addiction problem, or even struggling with self-harming thoughts.

Or they’re in hospital after a suicide attempt, or recovering from injuries inflicted by someone they love. Or still grieving a painful loss.

Some could be afraid to be seen at such a large public event, where they worry about being recognised. Their own experiences of being bullied by peers or persecuted by their religious community have taught them fear of those who hate them.

Others might have decided that they just want to blend into mainstream society, and dislike the sensitive issues of sexuality, gender orientation and same-sex love to be displayed in public.

And then there are those who have left Singapore because they’ve decided that here is a country that does not respect people who are different.

Had they still been in their darkest moments, each of the story contributors in I Will Survive probably would not have attended Pink Dot for the reasons above. Yet, time has passed since then, and being the resilient survivors that they all are, I look forward to seeing many of them at this year’s event.

But for every person who, for whatever reason, is unable or unwilling to be at Hong Lim Park on Saturday, 30 June 2012, there will be the rest of us who can and will.

Let us all be there for those who can’t or won’t, and believe that someday, they too might join us.

Leow Yangfa

Editor, I Will Survive

http://iwillsurvivesg.wordpress.com/2012/06/17/pink-dot-reflections/

i saw from the webby only Singaporeans & PRs can attend events at Hong Lim Park, is that true?

my friends from Malaysia wan to come & join Pink Dot 2012; therefore i am trying to help him find out....

Wow! I hope this isn't true

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

While we want the world to accept our rights to exist and to love who we want to love, but among us, esp the gays, we can't even accept each other's differences.

The less preferred are often shunned, obtracized, or if not mocked by groups who think and judged them as ugly and inferior.

The minority, who are also less preferred, are often judged by their race, skin colour, ethnic group or even religion.

I don't have to say much because if you were to scroll through most the threads, such conflicts are manifesting almost every moment.

We are only humans, thus we will have our preferences, but only if we could accept such differences.

Translate it on a much higher and larger scale, the outsiders, will only start to love and respect us gays, only if we start to accept , and respect each other's differences among ourselves first, without the essense of hate or even violence to exist

Well said

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

Guest payon

My friends and I won't be attending this year's Pink Dot.

In fact we never quite like such event.

Simply because it is just another staged show

You honestly think that the straight community is close knitted and warm? Or that everyone else except the LGBT is just and tolerating? I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic. There has always been some sort of strife around, be it the US-Iraq war, people bitching over at stomp, or you acting high and mighty in this thread. That's part of what makes people human. Heck, if this forum was just one loveydovey little sewing circle, i would have left a long time ago. It'd be way too boring.

Although I think that people who discriminate on minority groups without fair justification should die. But deciding against an event that shuns prejudice and promotes acceptance because of your inability to see past people's differences is ironic, considering the motif of your post.

I WILL BE attending this year's Pink Dot. Not because I think our community is as great as it is, but because I love myself and Singapore, and it's the damn closest thing we have to a pride parade.

• G_M changed the title to Pink Dot Event Discussion (2007 to Present Day) (compiled)
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • G_M locked and locked this topic
  • G_M locked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.