Male HQ

Brit Pop Rules! (But Sucks Sometimes Too!)

One of my favourite female singers of the early 80's: Kim Wilde.

She reached No.2 with her first hit: Kids in America.

Oh yes! I love Kim Wilde! You Came and You Keep Me Hangin' On!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkzG9ZVAeKM&feature=related

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Whenever people talk about Bananarama, they often remember songs like Venus or I Heard a Rumour.

Not many seem to remember thier first album, Deep Sea Skiving.

Is this the same album that spawned Really Saying Something?

Btw, I don't seem to be able to load more than one video in the same post,
how do you do it? Is there a trick to it?

Edited by steppenwolf

I dunno! I just copied and paste the links from youtube! Yup! It was the album with Really Saying Something.

Another popular Brit band:

STEPS!

Let me try your way then,

and I love Steps too.

Many said Steps are Euro-trash,

I like such trash perhaps? LOL

Here are 2 cover-versions from Steps, love them!

Thanks PaterTenebrarum it works! ;)

My earliest memory of Brit Pop...

7.30 am, tuning into BBC radio listening to the chart review.

It was 1981 or 1982, the crackling sound of BBC and the accent counting down to number 1.

Human League's Don't You Want Me was in the top 5 and when they announced number 1, Bucks Fizz's Land of Make Believe started playing...It was like magic...and I fell in love with Brit Pop.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

My earliest memory of Brit Pop...
7.30 am, tuning into BBC radio listening to the chart review.
It was 1981 or 1982, the crackling sound of BBC and the accent counting down to number 1.

Was the DJ Mark Goodier?

Those were the good old days,
simple joy, no MP3s, no CDs,
just a cassette & my trusty tape-recorder.

My weekly, half-hourly doses of Brit Pop. :)

My most memorable countdown was the Christmas Countdown of 1985,
that's when I first heard Aled Jones' Walking In The Air.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDh_L9JU5dQ Edited by steppenwolf

@Pater

Marianna Faithful...that goes way back. She was in the film Je'taime Paris.

Much much older now, gave an understated performance in a sweet Gus Van Sant tale...

@Steppenwolf

Was the DJ Mark Goodier?

I don't know at all. Only interested in listening to the songs and trying to record it on a cassette tape. :D

Edited by glowingember

OK more brit pop.

Another favourite performance - this time's from Wham!

When I first heard it, I didn't quite like it. But the performance on Solid Gold changed my mind.

This clip is from TOTP but the choreography is the same.

And there's Pepsi and Shirlee too.

OK more brit pop. Another favourite performance - this time's from Wham! When I first heard it, I didn't quite like it. But the performance on Solid Gold changed my mind. This clip is from TOTP but the choreography is the same. And there's Pepsi and Shirlee too.

For me, Wham Rap was Wham!
Back then, I didn't even know what rapping was all about,
I thought it was just the title of the song! LOL

Btw, I always thought Andrew Ridgeley was the cuter one. :) Edited by steppenwolf

It's all changed in the Top 3 UK Singles Chart (mid-week),

a new #1 is guaranteed by the end of the week,

let's just see which of the following will battle it out to the top...

A static Top 3 wrapping up the week indeed!

#1 Don't Go Feat. Josh Kumra - Wretch 32

#2 Heaven - Emeli Sandé

You know, I have a theory why Lady Gaga is so popular now. Even though I dont like her, I admit she makes great pop songs with great melodies. I think people welcome her after an RnB fatigue. If you listen to her, the tunes she churns out are reminiscent of those played by artists in the 90s and even earlier -back when songs had great melodies.

Anywho, that is just my theory. So, here's Jesus Jones with a piece released from a time when songs had great tunes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z6dxQVhE8o&ob=av2e

Edited by PaterTenebrarum

And to totally fxxk things up...here's more Right Said Fred and the Cheeky Girls! Get your barf bags ready!

The warped me love these tunes,

keeping them coming please! LOL

More barf bags for you & the rest perhaps?

Agadoo by Black Lace

The Chicken Song by Spitting Image

Edited by steppenwolf

Another popular Brit band: STEPS!

Ah! I really really liked 'Last Thing On My Mind', though it hasn't aged very well. Nowadays, it just sound like some upbeat Eurodance for some aerobic video.

I remember liking their Danish counterpart, Aqua, too. Again, the music hasn't aged very well, but at least the band was funny and they didn't take themselves seriously.

I think she guest-starred in BBC's Ab Fab, wasn't she? Never got to sample her tunes though, neither have I given PJ Harvey's music a try.

You should. Terrific musicianship.

Best starting point is Stories from the City, her most accessible record; her masterpiece though, imo, is Is This Desire?

The video below is Dress from her debut album (Dry), which I love to blast full-volume with my headphone on. Really tight and bombast rhythm section, and PJ Harvey's aggressive delivery nails it (although she would get even more aggressive on the next album, Rid of Me, but I find that album a bit too rough).

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

You should. Terrific musicianship.

Best starting point is Stories from the City, her most accessible record; her masterpiece though, imo, is Is This Desire?

The video below is Dress from her debut album (Dry), which I love to blast full-volume with my headphone on. Really tight and bombast rhythm section, and PJ Harvey's aggressive delivery nails it (although she would get even more aggressive on the next album, Rid of Me, but I find that album a bit too rough).

On the first listen, Dress is too rock for me,

which rock unfortunately is not my cup of tea.

Nonetheless, let me get my hands on Stories from the City and give it a good listen,

who knows I might change my mind?

The "rockest" I could take is Sleeper & their debut single Inbetweener. Njoi!

Edited by steppenwolf

On the first listen, Dress is too rock for me,

which rock unfortunately is not my cup of tea.

Nonetheless, let me get my hands on Stories from the City and give it a good listen,

who knows I might change my mind?

Most of PJ Harvey's outputs are full-blown macho rock.

She has released two non-rock records: White Chalk and Let England Shake. Both are good albums, especially the latter, but I don't think they are representative of PJ Harvey's classic sound. Had I listen to some other PJ songs right after a song from those two albums, I wouldn't even be able to recognize that it's the same singer. Nevertheless, The Last Living Rose is my personal recommendation if you want to start from her quieter songs.

If you want to get acquainted to her rock sound, Stories from the City is still the best place to start. Catchy, glossy, pop-rock tunes.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

• Guest locked this topic