Male HQ

Gay Coming Out Stories / videos / experiences - Family acceptance and the future (compiled)

tic-toc

On 04/11/2015 at 11:52 AM, Guest Guest said:

New coming out story about Lokies Khan, quite a high-profile good looking guy! Never knew he was Christian or effeminate, he always seemed very manly in his photos and looks.

Dear People,

Meet 23-year old Singaporean Lokies Khan!

Currently serving his National Service in the Singapore Armed Forces, Lokies has done something few others dared to do. Despite the social stigma associated with homosexuality in the military, Lokies has very proudly declared that he’s gay, not just to the medical officers examining him during the initial medical check-up but also to his entire platoon as well.

Full story here: http://dearstraightpeople.com/2015/11/04/out-of-the-closet-lokies-khan-shares-his-story/

Known him from his sex tape from tumblr

• 4 months later...
Guest Love the handle
19 hours ago, Guest Big neneh said:

5 year old is too young to subject him to this type of topic. 

He is too young to form his own thinking.

Some people at 58 years old still can't form their own thinking.

(ref: handle with love)

• G_M changed the title to Coming Out Stories (compiled)
  • G_M unlocked and unlocked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
  • 1 month later...

I'm posting because today I feel vexed over this again. Something which I thought I have put aside and just let things be as they are.

I came out to my parents 2 years ago (which was a period of my life I really want to erase). Clearly they didn't accept and pretended that everything was fine and life goes on even though my dad told me, yea he read stuff after that and there's nothing much to do but he told me to suppress those thoughts (im was clearly like wtf). Nonetheless, I tried to steer away from the topic. Sometimes he talked about the future and said, next time when I get married etcetc., I just sit there in silence and not respond too much. I believe we do have a big generation gap, over 40 years of gap. So he's probably from the era where such homosexual affairs are horrible taboos. 

Well then today, somehow he was casually saying I should "find a wife" when we were talking about something else totally unrelated to the topic. It was such an instant turnoff and I just replied "What are you even talking about?" and walked away to go home. It's been a long time since we even said anything about the matter and it really makes me uncomfortable that he brought it up again, which shows he hasn't "accepted" persay (even though he said he did) and is probably something that is always on his mind. I don't even know if I can do anything about it except keep my cool and just brush it off. 

Well, thing is, I work in the family business and I'm an only child. I know many of you will say, once you are financially independent, you are in a much better place. When I came out, I didn't know what I was thinking and really thinking they would just accept me and whatever. Right now, I do have thoughts of wanting to my own biz aside from this but at the same time, I face the dilemma of not knowing what I really want to start/do, what my passions will get me. 

I dare not hope for anyone to identify with me and I really dont know what to expect by posting this here. I probably need some advice if you have been through some parts of what I posted and maybe it could really help.

Thanks!

Guest Reality

If you put yourself into your parent's shoes, would you prefer to have your children to get married, have their own children (and become your grandchildren) and lead the typical "normal" lives like everyone else.

Or be a homosexual, poke or get poked in the butt and never ever continuing the family line. This is a sad reality unfortunately that most homosexuals have to go through. Based on what you've written it seems your parents does not want to accept that you are gay. It will take time.

Hang in there. Give it some time.

I came out 4 years ago, to my mom. Wasn't feeling well and was still staying with them back then when she cornered me over a bowl of soup.

She asked me the question and I asked her a question back - just to know how she'd react.

Knowing how my dad would react, she said she would break the news to him. He was sad and kind of depressed for a while after. Mom held it together better but she was sad too. Both wrote letters full of anguish to me as they didn't know any other way to communicate how they felt. It was a tense and kind of painful time too, especially since I was just a few months into my first full time job. I think it took a conscious effort to be there for them, spend time with them and to understand them. It took me way longer to even get comfortable with who I was first so I couldn't blame them for taking time too.

There is still the occasional hint that they hope things will change even though I've been living with my partner for 2 years now. They pretend that we're not together and that he doesn't exist. Would I like for them to accept him? I would, it would be nice if we could be together as a family. But that's not where they are at now I guess. 4 years on and there's still some tip-toeing around the issue (which it shouldn't be). I guess try to look at the bright side of things? If you're still staying with them, well, at least you're still staying with them. Hope this helps in some way or other.

I just came out to my parents 1 month plus ago. Same reaction... my mum kept telling me to change for the better, whereas my dad told me my future isn't gonna be a nice one and asked that i should think about it. Both my parents think that homosexuals are sick and perverted, and they said i should listen to their advice and changed for the better because they claimed they understand more than anyone else. I was hurt, still am, when they think that I've been a "man-slut", having sex with guys all these while. They kept telling me to "think about it" because i'm still young and have yet to explore with the opposite sex yet. I'm 21 but I have been certain that I am gay years ago. Yes i know the road is gonna be rough in the coming years to come and i am all prepared to face whatever obstacles that may come. Plus i wouldn't want to force myself to marry a girl for reason because i think every women and men have the rights to be loved by someone. And i told them that "okay, I will still think about it, but you guys should think about it too." I haven't really had a proper conversation with them since, but i can tell both of them just wanna pretend that everything is normal. They want me to lead a "Normal Life". But what is a "Normal Life"? We're living in the age where love has no boundaries. If my parents can see that being homo is naturally fine, then wouldn't i be normal? This is just my point of perspective. 

And just to add up, I think most parents just want to see their children happy. And to their definition, seeing you married and have kids your own is fulfillment of life. That is when they feel they have done their role as being parents. But knowing that you're gay, they are obviously worried about your future especially when their time is up and there won't be anyone left for you. They just need assurance that you will be fine even when they are not around anymore. This is where I hope that LGBT marriage will soon be legal in SG. (Sorry for my wishful thinking XD) 

All the best @birth_ave. We're all in this together :)

Edited by Kkklaus

1 hour ago, Guest Reality said:

If you put yourself into your parent's shoes, would you prefer to have your children to get married, have their own children (and become your grandchildren) and lead the typical "normal" lives like everyone else.

Or be a homosexual, poke or get poked in the butt and never ever continuing the family line. This is a sad reality unfortunately that most homosexuals have to go through. Based on what you've written it seems your parents does not want to accept that you are gay. It will take time.

Would a parent prefer to have a fertile child or an infertile child?

But if they gave birth to an infertile child who is uncapable to forebear and give them a grandchildren, even if he's their only child, would they accept the reality or still fulfil their fantasy of what they wanted their child to be, or even pressure their child into "normalcy"?

I mean... to some extent I agree with you. I understand where these kinds of parents are coming from. They are brought up in certain mindset and have their own wishes, but a misconception is still a misconception. And that's very discouraging. Sometimes maybe the child is not the only one who has to face reality. :(

Edited by derryfawne

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Hey at least all of you had the guts to open up to your parents. :thumb:

I kinda think my parents know my orientation. It's like a public secret since they've seen my ex around so often last time and always hiding in my room. Nowadays, they rarely bring up "boy ah must find girlfriend and get married faster" or "see, <insertname> has so many kids already" 

Would my parents want me to be happy? I guess they do, just not this way. When I see them playing with other people's kids, I'm filled with this awful sense of guilt that they won't ever get one from me (or my brother whom I've spotted on Grindr too). 

But I really wonder what their reaction would be if I really opened up to them. I've told myself once I've settled down with the right one, I'd probably tell them the truth, but I still fear this day. 

Edited by pusheenpika

Wow good to see such healthy discussion in BW :D and i love all the responses.

I think actions speaks louder then words. I technically didn't came out but with a partner of 276 months, it naturally become obvious to my mom I won't get married. There were even tough times when my mom thinks I am going to give all my assets to my bf (actually I still will but after she dies lar). That's the only fight we had - about Money becos the house is mine, everything is mine.

Parents greatest fear for us gay is during old age nobody take care of us, nobody cry for us when we die, nobody give us a hug when we are in pain. They think with a spouse and kids such problems are solved. I explained to my mom using "words of wisdom" and whenever example arises "like she say who who son daughter-in-law refuse to stay with the mom etc" I would response with "aren't you glad I am not married staying with you"? Although, my partner would very much like me to stay with him but I told him now it's our parents twillight age. Its our last chance to take care of them, thus he accepted and we are fine for now.

I hope my sharing gives some gays a bit insight on older gay who are partnered :D

Remember, it's your life. You can choose it but just don't regret whatever decision you make.

Stay up-right, prefectly up-right and your actions will prove more then any words.

I came out to my mom about 6 years ago because she saw me bring home my ex very often. Heartbroken and claimed that it's an abomination to God (I was brought up in a Christian family), it was disgusting, but she has no choice but to accept me. I'm not in talking terms with my father so I don't know if he knows, and neither do I care very much.

I moved out of the family home about 3 years ago and have kept my distance since, and only see my mother once every few months. I guess absence and distance helps -  if you're emotionally independent maybe it won't really matter what they think anymore. A few months ago I met my mom for dinner, and she did tell me how she still hopes I find a woman to settle down with and have a family one day. I simply shrugged and told her highly unlikely so don't keep hoping. :rolleyes:

So yeah. Try to be independent of them not just financially, but emotionally as well. Then you can walk with your head held high and not care so much about what they think. I know it sounds easier said than done, especially if you're very close to your family, but give yourself time and space. :)

Guest Unfortunate
2 hours ago, Ironrod said:

Parents greatest fear for us gay is during old age nobody take care of us, nobody cry for us when we die, nobody give us a hug when we are in pain. They think with a spouse and kids such problems are solved. 

Your parents are right in some way. At least when you are married with kids, there is a CHANCE you have your children to look after you in old age. Your children need not stay with you but remember at old age,  you may be in wheelchair or even Ihave dementia. Assuming your children were incalculated with the right values, they would  at least arrange for your basic needs and visit you occasionally. Don't you think if you were straight, you would have gotten married?

8 hours ago, Guest Unfortunate said:

Your parents are right in some way. At least when you are married with kids, there is a CHANCE you have your children to look after you in old age. Your children need not stay with you but remember at old age,  you may be in wheelchair or even Ihave dementia. Assuming your children were incalculated with the right values, they would  at least arrange for your basic needs and visit you occasionally. Don't you think if you were straight, you would have gotten married?

There is no absolute in life and all things are "transient, evanescent, inconstant" .

I would rather have wife and child born out of love then out of my fear of being alone. Just like a lot of ppl wants to have bf for the wrong reasons.

So i would rather not keep dwelling in "what-ifs" instead cultivate a strong mind and right attitude towards life is a better choice.

Guest Reality

You know back then my relative who was quite capable had a gay collegue/friend who was working under her and my parents got to know him through my relative. My mum always tell me and my brother to not get too close to him and to keep a certain distance with no physical contact as though being gay was a frightening disease. It doesn't help that he was feminine  but he was a nice person and really chatty. Guess I got "infected" and became gay as well haha.

Guest Make sure first

You are the only Son and you are expected to run the family business. You owe your parents not just in passing down the family name but also carrying on the family business and pass it to your children. Before you declare Yrself as gay, you should at least be very sure you are a died-hard gay... ask Yrself:-

- when you see boobs and CB, does it repulse you till you want to vomit?

- if a girl were to touch ur dick, can you get hard?  If she sucks yr dick, can you get hard enough to push into her CB?

If you can still get hard to fuck a CB, then you are not totally gay... then you owe yr parents to marry and have children. If you have gay tendency, have affairs outside quietly like most married men have affairs w women outside. Just be responsible to your parents and your Wife and children.... trust me... your life will be better, though you lead a life of cheating yr Wife and family for the rest of your life.

Guest Cynic

You guys sounded quite sure most parents are really concerned for their childrens’ welfare in old age and not that they are hoping their gay offspring would turn straight for their own selfish reasons, like having grandkids and saving face, reducing pressure in front of relatives?

So optimistic. :B)

I agree with @Ironrod that this is a healthy discussion and would like to contribute too :)

I guess I am one of the luckier ones as I have always had an open and communicative relationship with my parents. At some point after starting university, I decided to come out to them as I felt that hiding my sexuality was affecting my ability to be frank with them. I also saw myself gradually growing distant from them as I was not able to share my emotions and the true goings-on in my life. My dad surprisingly did not have too much of a negative response but my mum did not take it too well and entered into a sort of depressive state for an extended period of time. 

Her main concerns among others were that 1) life as a gay person would be more difficult than a straight one and she did not wish to see me make the wrong “choice” and suffer in the future 2) being gay would affect my professional career 3) I would adopt a certain “gay lifestyle” and overt “gay mannerisms” as negatively portrayed by the mainstream media. I had to explain away all her misconceptions and convince her that gay people do not choose to be gay.

Anyway, to cut the long story short, over many years and after much soul-baring and tears my parents have come to understand and support me. In fact we attended a Pride parade overseas together! This acceptance certainly did not happen overnight but I wish everyone here all the best- don’t give up and don’t lose hope! :thumb:

I feel just live your life as happy and as caring a son you can ever be..

How can they ask for more seeing you the way you have been towards life n them... :D

They may not have grandkids from you...but they have an extra son to care for them looking at the bright side.

BTW when i broke up with my X Gfren...told her the wayang has to stop and that i tried it;s not working and its really not fair to her..

She might be naive at that time believing that she can change me and that she warned that i will burn in hell...

Slowly i reached to her...and told her if GOD will burn me in hell...this person you know for almost a year...then i added not many will be saved..lol....of course i stopped by then talking to this invisible force that has not responded to my simple request to be straight like the majority...

We are still good frens today...she never outed me to my other frens not that i was too concerned by then.

My parents are no longer around but my sisters and their family embraced my other half even their kids are fond of him too..xtra uncle :D 

Regards and best wishes...stay on course for a better future for the community.

To me no need to tell or declare la. Soon or later somehow family members will know. The way we behave n our body language will tell. Str8 dont go around n tell so why should we?. Not all married are successful n having a happy married life. Just live a happy n peaceful life will do. The best if we dont want the community to look down on us , we should get a partner, be sincere to him n lead a normal life coz the accusations on us starts when we misbehave..No?

• 2 months later...

http://theindependent.sg/lee-kuan-yews-gay-grandson-publicly-comes-out-of-the-closet/

Lee Kuan Yew’s gay grandson publicly comes out of the closet

By
 Jewel Stolarchuk
 -

lee-huanwu-696x418.jpglee-huanwu-1024x615.jpg

YT screencapture/Out in Singapore 

Singapore’s founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew’s grandson, Li Huanwu, publicly came out of the closet earlier this month. Both Huanwu and his boyfriend, Yirui Heng, were featured in the Out in Singapore platform, which aims to foster acceptance and support for “LGBTQ persons who wish to come out to family, friends and peers in the community.”

Huanwu and his partner can be seen with their arms around each other in portraits shot for Out in Singapore. The son of Lee Hsien Yang, 31-year-old Huanwu works as a general manager while his 27-year-old partner is a fellow Singaporean who works as a veterinarian.

While Huanwu has not publicly come out of the closet on such a scale in the past, he has urged Singaporeans to support Pink Dot over the past two years. Last year, Huanwu publicly appealed for members of the LGBT community and straight allies to attend the event in a show of solidarity:

After his portraits with his partner were published earlier this month, Huanwu updated his Facebook profile picture to a photo of him and Yirui. Late last night, Huanwu decorated the profile picture with a Facebook picture from Pink Dot SG and invited all to join Pink Dot this year as well.

Urging netizens to attend the event, Huanwu wrote: “No call to social action this year — I’ll be more selfish: it’s the day before my birthday (it’s also the day after Magnus’ birthday). Be there. (And grab a drink when you stop by.)”

The late Lee Kuan Yew, himself, was supportive of people in same-sex relationships in Singapore. He had consistently stated in interviews his belief that homosexuality is a genetic variance and that homosexuals should not be persecuted.

In perhaps his most famous interview on the topic, Lee Kuan Yew frankly shared his thoughts on homosexuality at a PAP Youth Wing event in 2007:

“This business of homosexuality. It raises tempers all over the world, and even in America. If in fact it is true, and I’ve asked doctors this, that you are genetically born a homosexual, because that is the nature of genetic random transmission of genes. You can’t help it. So why should we criminalise it?
“But there is such a strong inhibition in all societies – Christianity, Islam, even the Hindu, Chinese societies. And we’re now confronted with a persisiting aberration, but is it an aberration? It’s a genetic variation.
“So what do we do? I think we pragmatically adjust…”

LEE KUAN YEW’S GRANDSON URGES SINGAPOREANS TO SUPPORT PINK DOT

Guest Guest

1. Li Huanwu never admitted he is a gay!
2. Li Huanwu never said he has a boyfriend!
3. Li Huanwu's facebook posts never mentioned anything about his private life as a gay!
4. Li Huanwu took a photo with a man doesn't mean he is a gay!

Li Huanwu's facebook posts only showed support for GLBT and Pink Dot only. 

I do not understand why Singaporeans are full of CB mouth, kept saying he comes out of the closet?!

Guest Guest

Looks like so many dirt comming out! Now they have a gay lee! Hahaha....look likr heaven's eye is opening to place such a situation in that family! What more dirt will come out! Looking forward to 2020! Oppositions will have one more ammo against the lees.what a disgrace!!

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Looks like so many dirt comming out! Now they have a gay lee! Hahaha....look likr heaven's eye is opening to place such a situation in that family! What more dirt will come out! Looking forward to 2020! Oppositions will have one more ammo against the lees.what a disgrace!!

Having a gay in the family is just normal. What dirt are u talking about with yr dirty mouth? Thanks

2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

U r the disgrace to mankind.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

3. Li Huanwu's facebook posts never mentioned anything about his private life as a gay!

I do not understand why Singaporeans are full of CB mouth, kept saying he comes out of the closet?!

https://www.outinsingapore.sg/project-001/2018/7/4/huanwu-li-yirui-heng

A lot of times, a picture paints a thousand words.

Then again if you are in kindergarten, I'll understand why it needs to be penned down in black and white. Adult world can be pretty confusing.

Edited by XiaoYuEr

1. Thanks XiaoYuEr. When that link came to my "Inbox", I took a while to examine the article before I decided to post it here.

At BW we respect the privacy of individuals who want to stay in the closet.

2 After reading the "outinsingapore" FAQ and about page, it is clear to me that the couple have chosen this as their way to come out.

I heartily congratulate them !

3. However it the people involved or their friends feels I read wrongly, do reach out to me via the mods or PM.

Cheers !

Guest Exhibitionist
4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Stupid donkey, that picture taken with a man is for an exhibition featuring LGBTQs in SG.

If he is, good for him. I see almost no benefit that he is or not. 2018. He or any gay person will get as much happiness or bad shit happening to him as any normal person. You are str8 you have your good and bad, you are a gay nobody or celebrity, again you get the good and the bad still.. not always a special advantage. Why do we need to make this to make our own life so much more "justified" to give ourselves reason for being who we are? That is not helping the gay cause.. that is just self pity talking. I am happy for him that he finally can come clean for him and his lover. Imagine how many years he has to live that lie in public and possibly his famous parent and family. If he reads this rude comments and take this to mean he best not endorse or believe in doing some part to help the rest like him then what? If you are truly gay and you act to blow out this candle for your own kind, you are someone who is why some str8 hate about gays they work with... you know .. the drama queen with always something to say. They see good in bad and bad in good and have to say something about it. Want to help, be positive or not say anything. Please.

I am not a big support of his parents politics but I do not hold him to the same judgement for their action.

Edited by upshot

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest I don't Care!

When straight people took photo with their love ones nobody said they are coming out as straight.  So why are gay people so surprised when another gay take photo with their partner?  It goes to show that we need more pinkdot till Singapore and its citizens has reached its maturity state of mind

Staying in the closet doesn't make you less gay than those who chose to come out, does it?

1 hour ago, upshot said:

If he is, good for him. I see almost no benefit that he is or not. 2018. He or any gay person will get as much happiness or bad shit happening to him as any normal person. You are str8 you have your good and bad, you are a gay nobody or celebrity, again you get the good and the bad still.. not always a special advantage. Why do we need to make this to make our own life so much more "justified" to give ourselves reason for being who we are? That is not helping the gay cause.. that is just self pity talking. I am happy for him that he finally can come clean for him and his lover. Imagine how many years he has to live that lie in public and possibly his famous parent and family. If he reads this rude comments and take this to mean he best not endorse or believe in doing some part to help the rest like him then what? If you are truly gay and you act to blow out this candle for your own kind, you are someone who is why some str8 hate about gays they work with... you know .. the drama queen with always something to say. They see good in bad and bad in good and have to say something about it. Want to help, be positive or not say anything. Please.

I am not a big support of his parents politics but I do not hold him to the same judgement for their action.

His parents r not politicians.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest
24 minutes ago, Guest I don't Care! said:

When straight people took photo with their love ones nobody said they are coming out as straight.  So why are gay people so surprised when another gay take photo with their partner?  It goes to show that we need more pinkdot till Singapore and its citizens has reached its maturity state of mind

Staying in the closet doesn't make you less gay than those who chose to come out, does it?

Because gays are kaypo and bzbody. To me, i dont give a fuck...oh a gay in a relationship? Whats the big deal? So what if that lee is gay? Should we give him a medal or ndp honour? 

49 minutes ago, fab said:

His parents r not politicians.

Like it or not... they are effect by it, force by family obligation to toll the political line for father and brother sakes....blah blah blah.  I am sure it took them a long time to break from that as we all have seen in recent years.

To see he finally came out and truly be able to do so and be himself... late or not...It's good on him and everyone involve with him in some way. Maybe for his parents too for all we know.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Guest Oxleygate II - The Outing.

Not fun to be related to powerful sickos and freakos relatives. 

Just imagine having to kowtow to them when you meet them. And not forgetting the razor sharp tongues of the professionals in the clan. 

Maybe HW was protected when yeye was around but now he has exposed himself, game season is now open. 

Guest Guest

If he is really a supporter of LGBT or gay himself , I hope he can really contribute and do much more for the good of LGBT in Singapore as a true developed nation 

Guest Michael
On 7/21/2018 at 10:10 AM, Guest Guest said:

Like it or not , people form opinion about you based on your appearance.  If you dont believe , just do this simple experiment (or maybe you already really are.  I speaks from experience) 

Go borrow or rent an expensive car ( i.e Mercedes E class and above.) .  Dress up nicely and borrow an expensive watch ( Rolex and above) .  Drive to your - be it uni gathering or ex colleague or CNY relative visit , see what they assess u based on your appearance 

I am surprise after all these evidence , you still can argue about it Li Huanwu .... 

We are not in court for criminal case, have to prove "beyond reasonable doubts"  

All signs pointed to that directions........ 

Is like doctor recommended Chemo for my sickness, but he never say I kena cancer What ! why you all keep saying I have cancer huh ?? why huh ?? 

13 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

If he is really a supporter of LGBT or gay himself , I hope he can really contribute and do much more for the good of LGBT in Singapore as a true developed nation 

He can do alot more if he is a member of parliament. 

Don't read and response to guests' post

• G_M changed the title to Coming out to your parents (compiled)
  • G_M locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.