Male HQ

Trains, Saunas, Clubs And Bars

pittsburgh

With the overall inflation and raise in transport fares, all the gay bars and saunas have also been getting more expensive. So how do we continue our gay lifestyle of looking glam and living it up?

If you come from an average or below-average income family, can you still hang out with gay friends to do gay things, like buy an iphone ($1000) to use Grindr or dine at posh restaurants (Crystal Jade, Dempsey etc.), or go to gay saunas ($26 per entry!) or gay bars ($16 for a martini!) or be a princess and take the cab to-and-fro the gay village ($16 on average without midnight surchanges)?

In a nutshell, how to become a gay Singaporean without the pink dollars?

When I read the word "glam" in your post I instantly rolled my eyes up :rolleyes:

Hello this is not trevvy.

All those shallow and "look-at-me-I'm-so-beautiful" glam types are annoying as hell. When i come across them in town I instantly change to the other side of the street.

Guest Marad44

Other than saunas, bars, toilets & hidden corners, have bi/gay men no other place to meet? Further, these 4 venues are mainly for sexual meet-up, not meaningful socializing. Has sex become the main driving force for meeting? If so, gay.bi life here must be boring. I am new to the scene in Singapore as I've been away for 20 years and before that unaware of PLU.

I have enough gay friends who will accompany me to eat at hawker centre, have a BYOB picnic in Botanic Gardens, go to the museums when they are offering free entries, find the cheapest deals to fly to Bangkok and have chilled out drinks at home.

There are plenty of ways to live in an affordable way, gay or not gay. It is up to your choice.

i feel that the gay lifestyle doesn't consist of looking glam and living it up, but it's pop culture and mass media has caused us to think it is.

i'm a gay Singaporean. i don't need to be going to gay clubs, gay bars, saunas, to be in the scene, to be where it's happening, in order to live life as a gay person.

we are still regular people who can do whatever we want, we are not only limited to gay venues and "gay" activities.

I havent been to any of the gay saunas for a long time since the last visit in February, i think?

And i'm no Singaporean either.

For now, i got a close gay Singaporean fren who i call him Brother, 13 yrs older than me.

Alwiz hangout for meals, movies, idle chats....

I alwiz get little gifts from him when he returns from outstation work, including a bottle of cologne, a cute T-shirt and a thumb drive.

Recently, he specially treated me to a Jap meal at Ajisen at Bugis juz to get my mind off my dilemma in finding a job at this time of the year. He took me to Downtown East water theme park ytd and paid for my entry. It was my first time thr and we were having fun.

We only had sex thrice, and that was long time ago, the last one being the time i last went to sauna.

The rest of the year? Juz jerk off myself at my own place!:P

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

Obviously, there are ways to save money in these hard times...

Instead of going to the malls, go to your neighbourhood library to browse/read magazines/books.

Instead of spending your time in expensive gyms, go to CC/SSC's gym

Instead of eating out, cook your meals at home...tow-fu topped with minced pork, stir-fry green vegetables are delicious.

Instead of cruising in sauna, go for a swimming at SSC public pool... no hanky panky allowed, lah!

Instead of meeting your mates in gay bars, meet them at hawker centres/coffee shops/fast food restaurants.

Really if you eat three meals a day and travel by public transport... your daily expenditure is $15 max.

Skip the window shopping guilt trip, stop the impulse buying...

We have too many shirts and shoes... no need to get more.

With the overall inflation and raise in transport fares, all the gay bars and saunas have also been getting more expensive. So how do we continue our gay lifestyle of looking glam and living it up?

If you come from an average or below-average income family, can you still hang out with gay friends to do gay things, like buy an iphone ($1000) to use Grindr or dine at posh restaurants (Crystal Jade, Dempsey etc.), or go to gay saunas ($26 per entry!) or gay bars ($16 for a martini!) or be a princess and take the cab to-and-fro the gay village ($16 on average without midnight surchanges)?

Go get a 2nd job.

My income is way below the national average. I still hang out with gay friends but I'll not go out with those glam and bitchy types. I have an iphone but I sign with with a 2 yr plan and pay a fraction of it's cost. I don't dine in posh restaurants becos I find that frivolous. Saunas I go, but I dun go to those $26 type, waste of time posing and looking pretty. Gay bar I also don't go and I don't drink Martini and I dun feel like a princess at all. I feel like a king but as much as possible I'll take the public transport. I also gym, but I dun sign up those gym club that have action in gym toilets or for the purpose of cruising. I really workout.

In a nutshell, the lifestyle you are talking above is for the sisters/divas, which I am not into. So you can still be gay as hell minus the sister/diva lifestyle.

I did, but hey one princess's lifestyle is another king's way of life, to each their own.

i feel that the gay lifestyle doesn't consist of looking glam and living it up, but it's pop culture and mass media has caused us to think it is. i'm a gay Singaporean. i don't need to be going to gay clubs, gay bars, saunas, to be in the scene, to be where it's happening, in order to live life as a gay person. we are still regular people who can do whatever we want, we are not only limited to gay venues and "gay" activities.

agree. why must we restrict ourselves to all these when we know how much we can spend a week/month?

im happy eating in hawker centres and food court, going for occasional shopping with my measly pay; and i still survive.

its really how you define living.

Guest Marad44

Is what I am reading a manifestation of quantity shifting to quality with age? In other words, are the writers so far past their teens and early twenties? Anyhew, it would be nice to hear from you guys where you socialize.

I belong in a circle of 5, the youngest being 42. We meet at Albert Court and order from Leo Cafe, a small place with nice menu. We are American, Chinese, French, Nepalese-Chinese and Sri Lankan, travelers and non-sexual.

Edited by Marad44

Is what I am reading a manifestation of quantity shifting to quality with age? In other words, are the writers so far past their teens and early twenties? Anyhew, it would be nice to hear from you guys where socialize.

I belong in a circle of 5, the youngest being 42. We meet at Albert Court and order from Leo Cafe, a small place with nice menu. We are American, Chinese, French, Nepalese-Chinese and Sri Lankan, travelers and non-sexual.

I'm in my mid-twenties..... ;)

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

For your reading:

Countless studies have examined the relationship between income and happiness. But now scientists have pinpointed the exact amount of money you need to be happy. The magic number? $75,000.

After analyzing 450,000 responses from the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index (GHWBI), a daily well-being survey that queries 1,000 respondents, two scientists from Princeton University say happiness is based on life evaluation and well-being, reports GALLUP Management Journal.

According to Mogulite, the findings show that those with a total household income of less than $75,000 overall had lower levels of emotional well-being and satisfaction with their state of life. However, those who made more than that amount didn't see a significant increase in their happiness.

Of course, there remain a couple of exceptions to this finding. If you give your money away or you find that wealth upgrades your social status, it can make you happy beyond the $75,000 mark.

So, next time you hear the phrase "money can't buy you happiness," remember, it actually can. But only to a certain point.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/18/how-much-money-makes-you-happy_n_1101622.html

This is a little bit.... 'lame'. Sorry. But if that's what you wanna point out, then all students who come from average family background shouldnt be in the gay scene too. They are definitely BROKE. I dont think being 'gay' and the 'lifestyle' can simply be said as dining in fine restaurants and going to expensive saunas or even getting a martini. I'm sure we're all good for a chai dao kueh with a glass of milo dinosaur and then going back to someone place for a romp =P

Damn.. i want chai dao kueh and milo dinosaur NAO!

Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

-- Oscar Wilde

Wow! Most of you are like lowering your quality of life to lead your own gay life: as if we now have rich gays and poor gays (of course, not as hydroxy-cut as this lah). From eating cai tao kueh to minced pork with tofu, from drinking and sexing in your own homes. Especially for <qedcwc>, you even attribute your own happiness when your 'kor' splurge on you! But don't you know a gay prince or princess is rather high maintenance lest you don't mind being left on the shelves. <brianx> even spoke of free lobangs to museums, as if it is a consolation for concerts and theatres, such as W!ld Rice and the Singapore Mens' Chorus!

To be rather materialistic, I see lots of gay boys signing up for posh gyms, going for monthly $35 hair cut, wearing Fred Perrys and Burberrys, and boasting about their repeated trips to exotic lands on this forum. Not forgetting the overpriced New Urban Male, SportsmanAsia, Abercrombie and Fitch and the likes. And how can you eat at Macs or kopitiams, which is full of oil/smoke and no air con, then my years of facials (Thomas D'esthetique and Urban Homme) and diet regime would have gone to waste with all the MSG they put in it. So, the only thing I do is to get my groceries fresh from Jason's or NTUC Finest (larger aisles and no long queues) and cook up a storm for me and my dates... not forgeting the high-end multi-prong sex toys for orgy fun! So how to give up all these?

I dun exactly let my Bro splurge on me all the time.

It's usually for more expensive meals at those higher-end eateries.

Sumtimes i offered to pay for my portion but he would decline it.

But as a gesture, i often bring back some coffee powder for him from my hometown.

I admit i dun subscribe to any religion religiously, even though my IC says Buddhist, but i'm a God-believer.

I believe He has things cut out for each of us, the only thing left is up to us to find out how to pursue them.

I do frequent NUM and SMA, but usually for window-shopping at new stuff and try them out.

The last time i made a purchase from NUM was rather recent, which is a tank-top bearing my country's name, but that's bcos i have been eyeing it for a long time and its stock is seldom available.

It really depends on the individual to learn how to appreciate the little things in life in order to be happy and lead a fulfilling life, like me taking leave on Thursday and Friday to go back home for Solstice to have my mum's tangyuan (soup glutinous riceballs). Nothing expensive, but it's smth that has been practised since childhood, smth that exudes the warmth of being home and kinship. That cannot even be measured by dollars, ringgit, rupiah, pounds, baht or whatever currency. Briax is right, money can buy happiness, but only to a certain extent.

Wow! Most of you are like lowering your quality of life to lead your own gay life: as if we now have rich gays and poor gays (of course, not as hydroxy-cut as this lah). From eating cai tao kueh to minced pork with tofu, from drinking and sexing in your own homes. Especially for <qedcwc>, you even attribute your own happiness when your 'kor' splurge on you! But don't you know a gay prince or princess is rather high maintenance lest you don't mind being left on the shelves. <brianx> even spoke of free lobangs to museums, as if it is a consolation for concerts and theatres, such as W!ld Rice and the Singapore Mens' Chorus!

To be rather materialistic, I see lots of gay boys signing up for posh gyms, going for monthly $35 hair cut, wearing Fred Perrys and Burberrys, and boasting about their repeated trips to exotic lands on this forum. Not forgetting the overpriced New Urban Male, SportsmanAsia, Abercrombie and Fitch and the likes. And how can you eat at Macs or kopitiams, which is full of oil/smoke and no air con, then my years of facials (Thomas D'esthetique and Urban Homme) and diet regime would have gone to waste with all the MSG they put in it. So, the only thing I do is to get my groceries fresh from Jason's or NTUC Finest (larger aisles and no long queues) and cook up a storm for me and my dates... not forgeting the high-end multi-prong sex toys for orgy fun! So how to give up all these?

My dear boy, i feel sorry for you. You've become a slave to consumerism and you 're not even aware of it.

May I suggest you try doing something humble and altruistic.... you know, like volunteering at an orphanage, old folk's home, or even offering free tuition to children at the community centre. Maybe it'll help you get you priorities back in order.

Well, in case you are missing my point... you can do everything you want if you have the money to do all your listed stuff. It is your money and rights to splurge. I believe in human rights so it is your rights too. :)

All i know is, at the end of the day, if I bankrupt myself just to pursue the happiness which I cannot afford, no one is going to pity me. There are no rich or poor gays, there are just people who need to know their spending limit.

Edited by briax

wow! hw i envy!

I havent been to any of the gay saunas for a long time since the last visit in February, i think?

And i'm no Singaporean either.

For now, i got a close gay Singaporean fren who i call him Brother, 13 yrs older than me.

We only had sex thrice, and that was long time ago, the last one being the time i last went to sauna.

I'm sure there are many ways to living it up and looking glam in the process. There are so many wealthy people around, why not you. Nothing is impossible like they say.

May I suggest you try doing something humble and altruistic.... you know, like volunteering at an orphanage, old folk's home, or even offering free tuition to children at the community centre. Maybe it'll help you get you priorities back in order.

I am proud of you. Yes, Give and You shall receive. It is not just the teaching of a particular religion but actually one of the secrets of a happy life. It is in giving without aiming to be rewarded that we get the rewards. And we can give in many, many ways.... advice, a bit of time, a smile, charity work, a kind word here and there. It need not involve money though we can also donate our cash. Cheers.

All these "complaints" aint going to make you happier.

Live within your means, lah.

Recently a subordinate staff of mine earning less than $3000 bought a 2nd hand car.

My first response (said in my heart) was "How could he afford it?"

My take home pay is much, much higher than that but I still take the public transport.

There is ab-solutely no way for me to buy a car, even though I could afford it.

I dislike driving and dislike the idea of giving lifts to my colleagues.

So where did my money go....?

Well take inexpensive holidays frequently...

2011 was a year where I visited Tianjin (Jan), Shanghai (Feb), Chengdu (May). Guilin (August) with Hong Kong on all these China trips. In addition, I took shorter trips to Phuket (Nov), Penang (twice this year), KL (to attend wedding), Haatyai (to see a friend).. Honestly, they did not cost a bomb....

So if I put aside $X for my retirement monthly (assuming I continue to have the same or better earning power before

I retire), life can only be better and happier.

Always find inner peace with yourself... have a positive outlook in life and continue to upgrade yourself intellectually and

emotionally. Seize every opportunity to shine in your given task..NEVER complain about work.

Edited by abang

Talk about Burberry, I bought a T-shirt for S$220 3 yrs ago. It's Egyptian cotton but it does not fit me as good as my S$29 NAUTICAL brand T-shirt.I could have gotten 9 T-shirts that amount and that would last me for 2 yrs.

I still have 3 Calvin Jeans T-shirt collecting dust in the wardrobe.

I used to buy La Mer/SKII but I still get good radiant skin with GARNIER's Men moisturizing Gel at Sawnson for S9.90.

I had Canele cakes at 8 to 10 dollars per slice but the Coffee Swiss Roll that costs S$2.50 is as divine.

I spent the last 12 yrs at Hotel gyms or those posh ones in Orchard. Now my body is more even muscular after working out in a public gym. I dun any more time going in the sauna/shower. I walk home to shower(better than having to spend time & money travelling back & forth)

I used to dine at posh hotels once a wk, but now I cook at home. A dish that costs S$20 nett could be done in 5to 10 mins that costs a couple of dollars, better still minus the msg, less the salt/sugar. Much healthier, too.

My only indulgence is Haagen Daz Ice-cream (used to have one tub a day; cost us$4.90 per tub in the 90s).

Now, i go for King's Cookies & cream Ice cream or Wall's Rainbow butterscotch ice cream. I do plurge on TILLAMOOK

Butter Pecan & Caramel Ice Cream onece a while. It's abt S$18 for 2 lltr compared to HD S$13 for 1 ltr. Still feel divine after eating less 50% on the price. Stretch you dollar.

I also walk & take the public transport (though no MRT for now), sometimes cab. I like cars but i hate driving plus i m also not a good driver.

I used to be in marketing/branding.It's how we package to raise the percieved value of an object. The cost to manufacture a branded polo shirt is just a couple of dollars. But you pay up to a hundred for the same thing. if you get them less 50% or 70%, u would be jumping up & down. It's just an illusion, a 'retail magic'.

To simply our life is a spiritual practice. It strips us down to the core - our essence.

wow! hw i envy!

Envy wat wor?

got a "godbrother" "Ott" to Joy , living a carefree lifestyle!

Everybody got their own problems have to solve themselves as well la.... Whr got that carefree?

He's juz someone close i go to considering i dun have any close frens here.... :P

So where did my money go....? Well take inexpensive holidays frequently... 2011 was a year where I visited Tianjin (Jan), Shanghai (Feb), Chengdu (May). Guilin (August) with Hong Kong on all these China trips. In addition, I took shorter trips to Phuket (Nov), Penang (twice this year), KL (to attend wedding), Haatyai (to see a friend).. Honestly, they did not cost a bomb.... have a positive outlook in life and continue to upgrade yourself intellectually and emotionally. Seize every opportunity to shine in your given task..NEVER complain about work.

Exactly, this is my very point when I mentioned the gay lifestyle of 'travelling so frequently' and the 'previous' life of <GUEST> is the best example. In fact, I wrote this post because I visit a home for ex-convicts, and one day, one of them came up to me and told me he is gay. He came from a family with below-average income and joined a gang to get a sense of belonging or brotherhood. But he couldn't "come out" because gang culture is not gay culture (as described above).

Gay culture (bars, shopping, saunas, restaurants, travels) is so expensive that the financially-challenged cannot really do basic gay things (e.g. where to have sex, how to befriend other gay men) in homophobic Singapore, which results in depression, loneliness and other gay-related mental issues. In addition, they are dexterous in neither the English language nor cyberculture. Does anyone know someone who is poor and gay and caught in this conundrum?

Well, ain't that too superficial? Sumtimes i juz need the companionship of someone close for a certain time period, even we may not be talking a lot, to feel satisfied. Actions speak louder than words. Bars, shopping, saunas, restaurants and travel as gay culture? I think any rich heterosexual will do that as well.

Talk about Burberry, I bought a T-shirt for S$220 3 yrs ago. It's Egyptian cotton but it does not fit me as good as my S$29 NAUTICAL brand T-shirt.I could have gotten 9 T-shirts that amount and that would last me for 2 yrs. I still have 3 Calvin Jeans T-shirt collecting dust in the wardrobe. I used to buy La Mer/SKII but I still get good radiant skin with GARNIER's Men moisturizing Gel at Sawnson for S9.90. I had Canele cakes at 8 to 10 dollars per slice but the Coffee Swiss Roll that costs S$2.50 is as divine. I spent the last 12 yrs at Hotel gyms or those posh ones in Orchard. Now my body is more even muscular after working out in a public gym. I dun any more time going in the sauna/shower. I walk home to shower(better than having to spend time & money travelling back & forth) I used to dine at posh hotels once a wk, but now I cook at home. A dish that costs S$20 nett could be done in 5to 10 mins that costs a couple of dollars, better still minus the msg, less the salt/sugar. Much healthier, too. My only indulgence is Haagen Daz Ice-cream (used to have one tub a day; cost us$4.90 per tub in the 90s). Now, i go for King's Cookies & cream Ice cream or Wall's Rainbow butterscotch ice cream. I do plurge on TILLAMOOK Butter Pecan & Caramel Ice Cream onece a while. It's abt S$18 for 2 lltr compared to HD S$13 for 1 ltr. Still feel divine after eating less 50% on the price. Stretch you dollar. I also walk & take the public transport (though no MRT for now), sometimes cab. I like cars but i hate driving plus i m also not a good driver. I used to be in marketing/branding.It's how we package to raise the percieved value of an object. The cost to manufacture a branded polo shirt is just a couple of dollars. But you pay up to a hundred for the same thing. if you get them less 50% or 70%, u would be jumping up & down. It's just an illusion, a 'retail magic'. To simply our life is a spiritual practice. It strips us down to the core - our essence.

Wow this post sounds awesum.

Preach it babe.

(:

This is such a stereotype of being a gay. A gay man is like any other man out there, not all or most gays take taxi all the time, party all the time and hang out in saunas, or dine at crystal jade? If you can afford it ok lor, but when u start to complaint things are MORE expansive now and comment $26 as steep and Crystal jade as a chi chi place, sorry to say you are not as GLAM as u claim to be, more like a wannabe.

Travelling abroad does not mean EXPENSIVE.

I took budget airlines and stay at hostel.

Sample local dishes in the streets and tiny shops.

Dont buy any souvenir cos they are over-priced.

Who says - CANNOT enjoy yourself, leh?

If you can afford it and want to relax. you need to pamper yourself once in a while.

No point slaving for your whole life ... who should inherit my savings?

Exactly, this is my very point when I mentioned the gay lifestyle of 'travelling so frequently' and the 'previous' life of is the best example. In fact, I wrote this post because I visit a home for ex-convicts, and one day, one of them came up to me and told me he is gay. He came from a family with below-average income and joined a gang to get a sense of belonging or brotherhood. But he couldn't "come out" because gang culture is not gay culture (as described above). Gay culture (bars, shopping, saunas, restaurants, travels) is so expensive that the financially-challenged cannot really do basic gay things (e.g. where to have sex, how to befriend other gay men) in homophobic Singapore, which results in depression, loneliness and other gay-related mental issues. In addition, they are dexterous in neither the English language nor cyberculture. Does anyone know someone who is poor and gay and caught in this conundrum?

"...the financially-challenged cannot really do basic gay things (e.g. where to have sex, how to befriend other gay men) in homophobic Singapore, which results in depression, loneliness and other gay-related mental issues..."

oh? having sex and befriending other gay men are basic gay things?

to be honest, meeting and getting to know people has nothing to do with financial status, but more on your self-confidence and the ability of being thick-skinned. you simply have to walk up to someone, strike up a conversation and who knows where that'll lead? if you are more particular about finding gay people for sex and friends, there are non-commercial gay organisations in Singapore and well, cruising areas which are practically scattered across the island, in toilets, in neighbourhood parks, in shopping centres etc.

i'm just a bit bothered by how you relate not being able to do "basic gay things" to depression, loneliness and other gay-related mental issues as the result of it. forgive me, but i just don't see the link between these two factors discussed. what are gay-related mental issues? i've never heard of anyone developing a mental problem from their sexual orientation. do you develop psychosis from being born gay? i'm sorry that i'm being so anal about it, but the things you've commented are a bit loose and superficial, you've set a stereotyped template of the lifestyle of a gay man that needs to be discarded.

if this template is how gay men in Singapore are based on in terms of living (gucci, fred perry, this and that facial, restaurants, posh gyms, gay-friendly brands, exotic trips), then i think the majority would be financially-challenged, including me. i don't have that kind of money, but i'm still gay. it's really for the individual to consider for himself what it means to be a gay Singaporean, regardless of social status and financial status.

everyone has their own methods to meet these "basic gay" needs, the first step is for him to want to reach out, because i'm sure there's always a chance he'll bump into another gay guy around the corner.

edit: reading this topic again, i realised that a lot of people have kinda answered your questions already. why is it that you are so eager to find someone whose poor and gay and caught in this conundrum? what are you trying to prove?

Edited by swag

Whether a person succumb to materialism has nothing to do with his/her sexual orientation.

Gay people who may have more disposable income (no wife, no kids) can afford to splurge.

If those of us who have a little extra DONT do our bit to boost the economy, there may be the scene of many taxis

queuing but no passengers. Would you want a situation of empty streets, empty shops ...depressed people?

Cheer up.

It is pointless to whine about the inflation.

Do something - be frugal in your spending.

开源节流

• Guest locked this topic