Male HQ

Buddhism Discussion

Guest Fan Ren

Guest LAN腥霉
13 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Why should religion be locked up?

Religiousness is in our genes.

Religion should be freely commented and discussed

like we discuss other aspects of our lives. 

Tell that to GM

• 1 month later...

If in this life one indulges in unwholesome sexual acts and adultery. In the next life one will be reborn as a sparrow, a pigeon, a mandarin duck, etc. or as an animal (From the Sutra of Earth Store Bodhisattva).

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

3 minutes ago, fab said:

If in this life one indulges in unwholesome sexual acts and adultery. In the next life one will be reborn as a sparrow, a pigeon, a mandarin duck, etc. or as an animal (From the Sutra of Earth Store Bodhisattva).

Why the birds?  

Guest Noreborn
14 hours ago, fab said:

Can we choose not to be reborn? So tired of being human. Being animal is even worse. We should have a petition to Jade Emperor to repeal the reborn code. We should have the right to choose who we want to be even after we die....

6 minutes ago, Guest Noreborn said:

Can we choose not to be reborn? So tired of being human. Being animal is even worse. We should have a petition to Jade Emperor to repeal the reborn code. We should have the right to choose who we want to be even after we die....

Only those who have gained enlightenment can choose not to be reborn.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

6 minutes ago, fab said:

Only those who have gained enlightenment can choose not to be reborn.

What is enlightenement really? Does eckart tolle, sadghuru and dalai lama considered enlightened? So many people go for meditation. So many hype around meditation. And almost everyone got some point meditated before. N how many ppl really got enlightened? 

47 minutes ago, Guest Romeo said:

What is enlightenement really? Does eckart tolle, sadghuru and dalai lama considered enlightened? So many people go for meditation. So many hype around meditation. And almost everyone got some point meditated before. N how many ppl really got enlightened? 

In simple words, human beings who 've abandoned the 3 poisons namely ignorance, greed and anger.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest opinion

just my humble opinion. i know it is impossible to make multiple buddhist threads so im not going to petition to make 10 more buddhist threads. we all know buddhism is firstly divided into 3 vehicles Therevada, Mahayana, and Vajrayana.  then again, if speaking in chinese buddhism sense, separates  into 8 sects which i don't know their names in english im sorry. (三论宗,瑜伽宗,天台宗,贤首宗,禅宗,净土宗,律宗,密宗) . basically there are different ways to cultivate in different sects to achieve buddhahood. personally i am purelander (净土宗) so i will only speak for pureland. i dont have the knowledge for other sects. when i learn about pureland, i only stick with 2 things. one is words spoken by buddha, and second texts explained by masters within pureland. that is because what works for zen, doesnt work for pureland. just like people saying we have to eradicate ignorance, greed and hatred in order to attain arhat fruit. but in pureland,  (im not good in english im sorry i prefer read sutras in chinese)《觀經》下品下生者,臨命欲終時,地獄火,彼人稱念不足十聲 南無阿彌陀佛,火變蓮花,阿彌陀佛現前,迎此等眾生往生極樂世界。(rough translation, visualization of amitabha sutra: a wicked man adorn with all sins, ready to fall to hell, during death bed chants the Namo Amitabha, eradicating all his karma, Amitabha buddha appears and welcomes him to sukhavati.) so this man still has ignorance, greed and hatred intact with him, whereas he can go to sukhavati. so what works in pureland doesnt make sense in zen at all. asking a zen master about mantras wont be as good as asking a vajrayana master, who studies about sutras regarding mantras. i think that if you are cultivating for something in buddhism, know what you are learning. and listen to masters within that sect. this thread is all jumbled into one hence its confusing for everybody with different methods of cultivating to speak. one person speak that buddha only becomes a buddha this lifetime and teach other people to be awaken(probably the smaller vehicle), another one believes he attained buddha before already and comes back and save sentient beings again due to his great vows (mahayana maybe). so if you ask a question here or debate something, you gonna get lots of different answers from different people from different sects. if you read diamond sutra, everything is void. if you read ksitigarbha sutra, there is karma. so whatever you are learning, go to that sect and learn. they are professionals in that area. peace out. Namo Amitabha.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:34 PM, tomcat said:

Only if you studied the full history of Buddha, that is not captured in sutras or books, you will realise the full spectrum of consequence upon receiving enlightenment.

But... how will you know anything about the Buddha if the information doesn't come originally from a book or some other reading material?

All the people from the time of the Buddha have died already.  Their writings don't exist anymore,  the earliest in existence are from over 500 years after him.

All you can know about him is hearsay.  This is the same as with all the other traditional religions.

It would be nice if you could study about Buddha from the real world, universe, whatever.  

But all what we have is not much better than speculation.

Followers of Shakyamuni Buddha could memorize the words of the Dharma well enough. When he passed away, the whole convent of monks came together and started writing down his teachings. Specially Ānanda, he had a very good memory. These monks or arhats could really memorize word for word. Buddha has also said that if the teachers taught the same as did the Dharma, then it is the Dharma; if taught differently, then it is not the Dharma. 

In my opinion, the Heart Sutra wasn’t even taught/passed down by Shakyamuni Buddha. But it has the essence of the Dharma and it is still very powerful even it’s the shortest sutra one might find. 

• 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • G_M changed the title to Buddhism Discussion

Device down.

So, I'll say "Shen" is supposedly one of the 'Character/Concept" most difficult to translate into/from other language.

Utilizing IT in this context served to expose the narrator's sympathy to disowned subjects of the Heavenly Empire or those outside civilization.

On the topic of this thread,

is buddha "shen"?   

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 8:53 PM, drektster said:

All religions feeds on people's insecurity of the future. Buddha meant it when he realise that everything is simply nothingness. Yet people are not ready to let go.

Religions feed on promises of an afterlife.  Didn't Buddha defined an afterlife with successive reincarnations?  Are these nothingness?

Living creatures we don't converge naturally to nothingness.  Our lives have a meaning, a purpose, even if short lived.

Of course death can be an opportunity for nothingness.  But cannot this nothingness wait until then?

3 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Religions feed on promises of an afterlife.  Didn't Buddha defined an afterlife with successive reincarnations?  Are these nothingness?

Living creatures we don't converge naturally to nothingness.  Our lives have a meaning, a purpose, even if short lived.

Of course death can be an opportunity for nothingness.  But cannot this nothingness wait until then?

when buddha awakes from his illness, he realise that all is emptiness and nothingness. but it was too late, people thought it was something else when he really meant nothingness.

Yes, every religion has black sheeps. 

Hence Buddha wants us to not blindly worship but follow the dharma discretionary. 

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

6 hours ago, fab said:

Yes, every religion has black sheeps. 

Hence Buddha wants us to not blindly worship but follow the dharma discretionary. 

I agree with the Buddha.  I discretionarily follow my own Dharma, and seek direction from whoever I think is right.

13 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I agree with the Buddha.  I discretionarily follow my own Dharma, and seek direction from whoever I think is right.

Y not just say you agree with me.

^_^

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

14 minutes ago, fab said:

Y not just say you agree with me.

^_^

All right.  I AGREE WITH YOU  :) 

(I mentioned the Buddha because I thought that he may be a better known person, who has been around for a longer time)

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, TT2880 said:

If we believe that gay is borned. What do you think we did in our previous life that this life our past karma made us gay? 

More often than not,  majority of children come as karmic creditors.

Otoh most parents have kids for selfish needs such as completing their own lives meaning. 

Imo, gays have done very wholesome deeds to be childless.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

44 minutes ago, fab said:

Otoh most parents have kids for selfish needs such as completing their own lives meaning. 

I like the idea that we come to this world as creditors.

But... is becoming a living creature something that rewards the creditor?

And how about the gays like me who are not childless?  Did we do something wrong in the past?

Not wrong per se but perhaps just something unwholesome enough to warrant for your kid to demand from you.

Eg, he may have been a doting father who sacrifices painstakingly for you, so he wants you to know what deal he went through last life.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

1 hour ago, fab said:

Not wrong per se but perhaps just something unwholesome enough to warrant for your kid to demand from you.

Eg, he may have been a doting father who sacrifices painstakingly for you, so he wants you to know what deal he went through last life.

That's not too bad.   My kid never demanded much from me.  I simply gave him.

One exception happened when he was a young teenager,  he wanted, oh so desperately,  a four-wheeler to drive up and down through some empty land. 

And my response was NO!!  Oh he got so mad!   But now as an adult he understands how dangerous these four-wheeler are...

12 hours ago, TT2880 said:

If we believe that gay is borned. What do you think we did in our previous life that this life our past karma made us gay? 

The term "Gay" carries connotation to Judeo-Christianity.

You may care to take into consideration the practices and changes of Tantra Buddhism, east and west.

Specifically, the lineage of Sakya sect, from the guru to Kublai Khan.

As well as a difference in between being not "straight", bi-sexual and engaging in homosexuality.

Reminded of BBC host of Hard Talk being surprised by support of coup by a leading figure in Egyptian women rights. 

"Whatever from Al-Sisi, I can oppose.

Whatever Mosi enforced, came from Allah.  I couldn't oppose."

I hope you don't find this post deviating from your post, as with your thread.

Which I am not returning.

10 hours ago, fab said:

Haha. Well said.

But that has not answered me. 

You explained in a simple way the karmic cause and effect of parents and their children. The child brings with him/her his/her own karma. So what is it we did that we like the man of the same sex? Notwithstanding that when we talked about man, we think there are man. But there is no man. Is merely called man.

Thank you.  

20 minutes ago, wilfgene said:

The term "Gay" carries connotation to Judeo-Christianity.

You may care to take into consideration the practices and changes of Tantra Buddhism, east and west.

Specifically, the lineage of Sakya sect, from the guru to Kublai Khan.

As well as a difference in between being not "straight", bi-sexual and engaging in homosexuality.

Reminded of BBC host of Hard Talk being surprised by support of coup by a leading figure in Egyptian women rights. 

"Whatever from Al-Sisi, I can oppose.

Whatever Mosi enforced, came from Allah.  I couldn't oppose."

I hope you don't find this post deviating from your post, as with your thread.

Which I am not returning.

Thanks. You sure sound knowledgeable. 

11 hours ago, fab said:

In a karmic theory, there is some logic in that we humans have deserved to reincarnate as such and not into other inferior living forms.  Maybe this is a first level of karma, and once humans, a different category of karma opens up to measure our behavior as humans.  And in this stage we reincarnate with positive or negative amounts of this karma.  It makes sense that we are evaluated in many different human conditions, of different genders and sexual orientations. These cases don't depend on what we deserve, but there is this need for variety. 

You may think that to be childless is some premium for something we did earlier.  But why is childless better than with children?  There are just different circumstances, with positives and negatives on both cases.

And what is wrong with having kids for selfish reasons?  Why is "completing their own lives' meaning" bad? Don't we all want meaningful lives?  Could the inclination to have kids, selfish or not selfish,  be something positive in our nature to assure survival of our species?

Besides the conception by The Buddha, there surely can be different interesting  theories about karma.  After all,  there is no scientific demonstration of what karma really is.  Maybe one can make a good case for the EXISTENCE of karma,  but this is still far from knowing exactly WHAT IT IS. 

Edited by Steve5380

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Since u r here said:

i agree with their teachings

功德: your (phy) hardwork and your thoughts (internal) will bring about good fortune!
https://www.facebook.com/watch/live/?v=604330740480779&ref=notif&notif_id=1593226624641534&notif_t=live_video

Buddhism is most adaptive for humanity, pls stop asking do we need to be vegetarian, why some do eat beef and can we dont light joss stick or offer some type of fruits, when were there such a precept? Time to wakeup for those who practice without the knowledge https://www.facebook.com/SBFYOUTH/videos/322614532479474/

You agree with the teachings of which denomination?

17 hours ago, Since u r here said:

erm , for sure it has to be a Mahayana (greater vehicle)

Do you personally acknowledge works of an illiterate as one of the scriptures?

Or only those by Brahmins and Satriyas?

What is the hierarchy between Brahma, Siva, Vishnu and Buddha?

Having been to The Temple of Prospering Religion resided by that monk in Journey to The West, then inhabited by Chao Dong of Zen, now reportedly turned into a condo.

As well as outside The Temple of Blue Dragon commissioned by Eastern Tantra, remarkably Japanese, yet Tang. 

13 hours ago, wilfgene said:

Do you personally acknowledge works of an illiterate as one of the scriptures?

Having been to The Temple of Prospering Religion resided by that monk in Journey to The West, then inhabited by Chao Dong of Zen, now reportedly turned into a condo.

As well as outside The Temple of Blue Dragon commissioned by Eastern Tantra, remarkably Japanese, yet Tang. 

In all the religions with ancient origins,  the authors of scriptures may not have been illiterate,  but they were definitely IGNORANT.

Knowledge cannot be acquired exclusively through thinking, meditation.  It requires observation, experimentation,  which are the foundations of science.  

And science cannot advance far by only one individual.  It has to come from a community of scientists.  This was difficult in the past, compared to the huge population we have today and the forms of communication in today's world.

Edited by Steve5380

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

In all the religions with ancient origins,  the authors of scriptures may not have been illiterate,  but they were definitely IGNORANT.

Knowledge cannot be acquired exclusively through thinking, meditation.  It requires observation, experimentation,  with are the foundations of science.  

And science cannot advance far by only one individual.  It has to come from a community of scientists.  This was difficult in the past, compared to the huge population we have today and the forms of communication in today's world.

6 hours ago, wilfgene said:

Do you PERSONALLY acknowledge works of an illiterate as one of the scriptures?

I was alluding to the sixth master of Zen.

And you did not address the elephant in the room.

I'm not so religious as a Buddhist per se, but I like reading Buddha teachings. It makes a lot of sense and help me see life differently.

“Hi it’s me”

🌑 🌘 🌗 🌖 🌕 🌔 🌓 🌒 🌑

🐶 only taking the willing victims 😈

8 hours ago, wilfgene said:

I was alluding to the sixth master of Zen.

And you did not address the elephant in the room.

Why should I address the elephant in the room?

I like elephants.  After I petted it, the elephant in the room massaged my back with his trunk

while I addressed serious religious and philosophical issues.

How can an ignorant insignificant creature on the surface of an insignificant planet have the arrogance of claiming that he knows how the universe works and everything that is in it?

and with little knowledge of the NATURAL  dares to claim that he knows what the SUPERNATURAL is?

I don't criticize some wise and compassionate men who, seeing the misery around them, make up some teachings to help their fellow humans. 

I criticize those who take what these Masters left behind and construct an enterprise full of religious professionals. 

On 6/28/2020 at 10:19 AM, Steve5380 said:

How can an ignorant insignificant creature on the surface of an insignificant planet have the arrogance of claiming that he knows how the universe works and everything that is in it? and with little knowledge of the NATURAL  dares to claim that he knows what the SUPERNATURAL is?

I had to reflect a little more on this after seeing some programs about the origin of the universe, quantum mechanics, nature of gravity, etc. in a recap of how we got to modern physics.

BEFORE someone can be believed in his story about the supernatural,  this individual should have a deep understanding of the Natural.  And all the Sages of old times,  Moses, Christ, Buddha, Confucius, Aristotle, were nearly totally ignorant of Nature.  They didn't know what matter is, what light is, what time is, what gravity is,  what the sun is, what the stars are, what lightening is, what thunder is,  what the atmosphere is,  etc. etc.  And even less,  what was the origin of our universe.

These ignorant individuals made up stories about the SUPERNATURAL.  Stories about creation of the universe, our creation, our afterlife,  the heaven in the sky, the hell underground, the nirvana.  What is our obligation as intelligent beings to believe in all these stories?   Maybe it is enough to appreciate the social teachings of these sages, apply some in our personal philosophies, and throw the rest to the big pile of stories of fantasy and science fiction.

"30 years ago, when I started practicing Zen,

Hills were Hills, Water was Water.

Halfway through,

Hill were not all Hills, Water was not all Water.

Now, 

Hill are still Hills, Water is still Water."

Jin Shen Tan was cut in the waist.

As his innards splashed out of his body, he dipped his long whiskers in his own blood and wrote on the floor "Tong".

The supervisor of his torture laughed out "Now, you know what Pain is."

Jin Shen Tan proceeded to write "Kuai".

In the death of winter, pilgrims on the Central Sacred Mountain sang as they made offerings to Pan Gu, who brought the world into being, instead of CREATING it. 

Unintentionally, you subscribe to the latter notion.

Look forward to your getting straightened out.

With Hong Kong Regime Security Act in mind.

6 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I had to reflect a little more on this after seeing some programs about the origin of the universe, quantum mechanics, nature of gravity, etc. in a recap of how we got to modern physics.

BEFORE someone can be believed in his story about the supernatural,  this individual should have a deep understanding of the Natural.  And all the Sages of old times,  Moses, Christ, Buddha, Confucius, Aristotle, were nearly totally ignorant of Nature.  They didn't know what matter is, what light is, what time is, what gravity is,  what the sun is, what the stars are, what lightening is, what thunder is,  what the atmosphere is,  etc. etc.  And even less,  what was the origin of our universe.

These ignorant individuals made up stories about the SUPERNATURAL.  Stories about creation of the universe, our creation, our afterlife,  the heaven in the sky, the hell underground, the nirvana.  What is our obligation as intelligent beings to believe in all these stories?   Maybe it is enough to appreciate the social teachings of these sages, apply some in our personal philosophies, and throw the rest to the big pile of stories of fantasy and science fiction.

Edited by wilfgene

19 minutes ago, wilfgene said:

"30 years ago, when I started practicing Zen,

Hills were Hills, Water was Water.

Halfway through,

Hill were not all Hills, Water was not all Water.

Now, 

Hill are still Hill"s, Water is still Water."

Jin Shen Tan was cut in the waist.

As his innards splashed out of his body, he dipped his long whiskers in his own blood and wrote on the floor "Tong".

The supervisor of his torture laughed out "Now, you know what Pain is."

Jin Shen Tan proceeded to write "Kuai".

In the death of winter, pilgrims on the Central Sacred Mountain sang as they made offerings to Pan Gu, who brought about the world, instead of CREATING it. 

Unintentionally, you subscribe to the latter notion.

Look forward to your getting straightened out.

With Hong Kong Regime Security Act in mind.

My grandmother too had artificial dentures when she died.

18 minutes ago, PinkBlackHole said:

Yall really lost me haha

I got lost too :)   But I look around and I'm still sitting at my desk.

• 1 month later...

This is an academic paper, scholarly writing on its way to being peer reviewed, but it deals with modern day interpretations,

and attempts to bridge the esoteric buddhist knowledge and daily practice.

All I can say is that upon receiving Enlightenment, that is when your true work begins. 

Your career, vanity, attempts at material wealth will simply be distractions. 

And as shown to me, there are up to 16 different roles that each person will be relegated to.

We can already see two of these in Buddhism - the Buddha and the Bodhisattva.

As seen in all instances of those who have gotten their call (Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad),

the periods after is where their actual work begins. Before that, they only had mundane vocations.

https://www.academia.edu/7323493/The_bodhisattva_spirit_Practising_self_benefiting_altruism?email_work_card=view-paper

The writing is a bit dry, but important knowledge is there.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.