Male HQ

Movie Recommendations / Reviews (Str8, Non-Pxxn) (Compiled)

Guest IslandMan

Hi? Jack Neo aka Liang Si Mei and Liang Po Po and director and actor and writer and scandal and air con commercial?

That one, you can script yourself.... :P

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

Why all our locally made movies involving the army must be ghost stories? How about showing a real garang side of our army? Maybe we can make a remake of: Lambo - A reservist goes back for ICT and is ill treated by his sadistic DO who turns out the guards too much during guard duty. He then takes revenge and shoots the DO, BOS, Guard Commander, Guard 2IC and Gate IC. Cannot shoot more than that because his magazine only has 5 rounds !!! So how? should I write to Mark Lee and ask him to make this movie ?

May as well do it reality tv style. ;)

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

See the clips already will not watch this movie in the cinema... unless someone pass me a DVD copy of it...

Story sounds like how FTs can come to new country and try to make their dreams come true... Not fresh lah... Title also copy USA's 'almost famous'.

Also looks like it is one person (michelle chong who is good in TV's The Noose) trying to bao ka liao to make it in the movie scene. And that xiaogui lead actor is just not good enough lah...

I dont think shes a desperate attention-seeking wannabe, i do admire her guts to step out of her own comfort zone of acting and hosting to directing and producing, and even writing the script. Im definitely going to watch this movie to show my support as well

I don't think she is producing. Director, Writer and actor. Probably not producer. She doesn't have 3 heads and 6 pairs of arms.

*Sorry film student here.

"Well, I didn't know it would come to this but that's what happens when you're on your own."

I would have like it better if they cast someone else in the main role. By having Michelle Chong as the lead role, which she ALSO wrote,diect, produce.....it's like telling everybody in your face, "Hey, I'm Michelle Chong, I'm an attention seeker, I want to be very popular and famous....I die die must be famous and popular..." It's a huge turn off for me...and came across as very desperate wannabe attention seeker.

just quoting from here. lol

I dont think shes a desperate attention-seeking wannabe, i do admire her guts to step out of her own comfort zone of acting and hosting to directing and producing, and even writing the script. Im definitely going to watch this movie to show my support as well

My problem is she is using this movie for her own agenda, personal gain. If she isn't, why did she cast her own self as the MAIN character when she is ALREADY the writer and director??? She is just using this movie as an excuse to make herself more "famous". Some people will do ANYTHING to be famous. Anyway, I am entitled to my opinion.

My problem is she is using this movie for her own agenda, personal gain. If she isn't, why did she cast her own self as the MAIN character when she is ALREADY the writer and director??? She is just using this movie as an excuse to make herself more "famous". Some people will do ANYTHING to be famous. Anyway, I am entitled to my opinion.

You are entitled to your opinion and preference, she is entitled to her own commitments and roles, and im equally eligible for my views as well. That being established, i dont see how that is an 'excuse'. She started off as an actress and im sure many would agree that shes multi-talented. Based on The Noose itself, its quite obvious that she is very versatile in her acting. Even if shes just flaunting her talents, there is nothing wrong with that. Talents are meant to be displayed, and in this case its a wider audience she is showcasing it to.

As for making herself 'more famous', its a very subjective thing. How do you know thats her ulterior motive? She is already a local celebrity, and most celebrity will want to make it big. Im not denying that fame and wealth are large motivating factors either, but if you are judging the movie based on your opinions of her, isnt that kinda frivolous?

One more thing, some people will do ANYTHING to get famous? The movie is based on her painstaking effort, not overnight notoriety like nude scandals. Why are you so against it?

Edited by typoshark

I would have like it better if they cast someone else in the main role. By having Michelle Chong as the lead role, which she ALSO wrote,diect, produce.....it's like telling everybody in your face, "Hey, I'm Michelle Chong, I'm an attention seeker, I want to be very popular and famous....I die die must be famous and popular..." It's a huge turn off for me...and came across as very desperate wannabe attention seeker.

I actually went to school with Michelle - she was my junior @ VJC and we both did TSD together. And I think you're being extremely unfair to her.

As an actor, you have very little say in the kind of projects you work on. You go for auditions, you get the part if the director likes you and then you get sent the script and even if the script sucks, you're hired to perform the script you're given. You're not paid to change the script or offer your opinion. In fact, there's a whole industry of script writers and they hate actors who try to mess with their work - actors who try to have a say in the script are often considered 'hard to work with'.

Michelle has already achieved quite a lot of success in Singapore - she could sit back and rest on her laurels, simply performing other people's scripts but she has the balls to say, "I want to be in charge, I want to have a say, I refuse to be manipulated by stupid Mediacorp directors and manipulative script writers any more, I am going to do things my way for a change."

Look you can dislike the film, you can dislike Michelle Chong as an actor - but the way you criticized her efforts to make this film just tells me you know absolutely NOTHING about the film industry. Do you have any idea at all just how difficult it is to find the finance to produce a film like that? To persuade all these other actors to perform with her - to get a crew to help make the production happen? And all that post-production and PR - it's like a MARATHON that is run by a group of over a hundred people and Michelle actually managed to get all these people on board, believe in her and run that marathon with her. Achieving that is nothing short of a miracle.

And without understanding just what an amazing feat she has achieved, you have the cheek to criticize her?

OK you tell me, have you achieved anything in your career that is on par with what Michelle has achieved? You are nothing compared to her. Nothing!

Oh please. Michelle Chong never claimed to be Mother Theresa. She is an actor, all actors want to be famous and make money - and what is wrong with that?

By making a successful film, she has achieved her goal and people all over Singapore are going to love her for this wonderful film.

Please lah, you're just so jealous that her life is full of success - she is a local star, people recognize her in the streets and love her. Like what have you done compared to her? You're just a nobody. No wonder you're so jealous and bitter.

This movie is going to be a critical flop for one big reason that nobody has pointed out till now. That is, Michelle Chong's signature multiple character imitation, which drew audiences to her on tv, is missing here. Film looks hackneyed and cheesy as well. It's another of those cheap local films without artistic merit.

Guest Ironrod
Not many people can be writer/ director and also pull off as the main actor. I certainly will support local talent/

Btw Mark is not in this movie?? :whistle:;)

Lol that's the reason I don't mind watching. If Mark LEE is in it, I am out!

I cannot tahan that guy.

Guest Reply to Guest

As an actress or any other person working in any profession, please point out to me who do not want to be successful? Unless you said you wanna remain at starting salary all your life? *Somehow sense some sour grape*

There is nothing wrong with being adventurous and trying to push your own limit to bring yourself to new level. As casting herself as lead, don’t you think (if you have brain) she will be able to save on the fees required to pay to actress too?

Do you hear the sound of “bell” when you tilt your head left and right?

Look you can dislike the film, you can dislike Michelle Chong as an actor - but the way you criticized her efforts to make this film just tells me you know absolutely NOTHING about the film industry. Do you have any idea at all just how difficult it is to find the finance to produce a film like that? To persuade all these other actors to perform with her - to get a crew to help make the production happen? And all that post-production and PR - it's like a MARATHON that is run by a group of over a hundred people and Michelle actually managed to get all these people on board, believe in her and run that marathon with her. Achieving that is nothing short of a miracle.

And without understanding just what an amazing feat she has achieved, you have the cheek to criticize her?

I'm with ForeignTalent on this statement.

The 21st century can be touted as an era of independent filmmakers, who do not produce films for the sake of entertainment.

For this group, it was never smooth-sailing for them when it comes to financing of their works as they were not backed by major film production companies.

In April 2010, A-Niu 阿牛 came up with his first film Ice Kacang Puppy Love 初恋红豆冰 starred by a cast of fellow Taiwan-based Malaysian artistes who had already made big names in the music industry (except Angelica Lee Sinje), the likes of Fish Leong, Victor Wong, Gary Chaw and Yi Jetqi. These big names had agreed to star in his film with either low pay or FOC, out of long-time friendship with the director and wanting to do something for the Chinese Malaysian film industry. A-Niu virtually had to face with a low budget in shooting the film and although it did turn out to be quite a hit among the local audience, raking RM 4 million, it hit a snag with the governmental policies on films, resulting it to be categorized as a foreign film, which drained the box office earnings 20% of foreign film tax, not mentioning other taxes.

Two months ago, another Chinese Malaysian film, on a budget of RM 1 million, 辣死你妈 Nasi Lemak 2.0 hit box office raking a whopping RM 7 million, a record for all Chinese Malaysian films. This film has yet to be shown in Singapore, but quite a handful of Singaporeans had crossed the Causeway to watch it. The startoff for this film was even worse than A-Niu's, as its director, Namewee 黄明志, courted controversy some 4 years ago, and radicalists remembered his deed bitterly. But the film, which centralized on themes of patriotism and was joined by actors of different ethnic groups among which included big names as well on lower pay, was a hit among viewers of various ethnic groups, even among those who had condemned him of his 2007 act, as they deemed what he did in 2007 and the film were separate matters, and that the film brought about a positive message. Worse was the film did not receive a mandatory-screening status by the censorship authorities, which compels cinemas to show for at least 4 weeks, and totally depended on the cinemas to determine the period of screening of the film. Some cinemas had screened it for as long as 5 to 6 weeks as the demand was rather immense. Despite also facing a protest from a relatively unknown radical group at Ipoh, it still managed to turn out well although it faces the 20% tax thing. Given Namewee's outspoken nature, he has produced two videos depicting the trouble he went through in producing it:

Edited by qedcwc

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Guest Anti-FT
Please lah, you're just so jealous that her life is full of success - she is a local star, people recognize her in the streets and love her. Like what have you done compared to her? You're just a nobody. No wonder you're so jealous and bitter.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3eed023e.jpg

The poster of this thread go the order of things wrong.

It's not like Michelle planned to write and direct first, and then decided to act the lead as well just to get more famous.

She is first and foremost an actress, and probably wanted to do a movie that she believes in. And what better way to do that than to write and direct it? She even took unpaid leave to work on this project.

Rather than to claim more fame, I think this fruit of labour is just to realize a dream of hers. More for her own personal achievement than a vain glory pursuit.

And even though I can roughly see how the plot of the movie will pan out, I will still support her movie

Mark Lee? I'd give due credit for being the slap-stick ah beng comedian (the Hokkien counterpart to Gurmit Singh), but winning Best Host more than once? that's quite the joke.

If she has the substance to do something like this, what is wrong with making herself more famous?

I will watch this for sure just to support her. On one side people are bitching about the lack of talents in Mediacorp, here we have one brilliant all in one girl and you people must find fault?

If she has the substance to do something like this, what is wrong with making herself more famous?

The worst is those who have no substance or achievements and still want to hog the limelight and seek attention... :whistle:

Guest Xu Liangyu

Was totally ogling at him thoughout the whole movie. forgive me :unsure:

No need for forgiveness. I was also ogling Henley throughout the whole movie.

He should be in gay pxxn!!! :clap:

http://www.facebook....127811407312569 :P

1:42 = 帅~!

Edited by qedcwc

I'm waiting to watch it next week when it releases on 10 Nov..... I know maybe doesnt apply so much to gays.... but I juz wanna recall those naughty days being a schoolboy.... ;)

What naughty things did u do =p share share

had watched this show and have to say that this is one of the better movie i had watched this year.

not really about the nude actor or the pcc scenes, rather that although with a very simple plot, it sort of connected with me as those are really the stuff i also did in school. eh no i did not pcc in class, only in the toilet.:)

while there are touching scenes, it was not really a sad romance only movie. and yah the funny scenes helped

I agree. A well-made movie other than Monga.

Guest riverrobles

I'm a Filipino and I've been watching Michell Chong even during MTV days....at first I thought she was an attention seeker (of course it was reality show in MTV-cameras follwoing you everywhere) . Then when I arrived here in Singapore, I saw Michelle again in The Noose. She's funny, she can do Filipino accent and I like her Barbarella character.

She was interviewed with her father once and I felt that she is approachable and warm. She can cook...You can say that I'm a die hard fan of Michelle Chong, I think she can try to do some shows in Philippines, she'll be more famous than Carmen Soo (Rachel in The Pupil). She just needs more exposure..... I like her....

More power to you Michelle!

wow i wanna watch this!! too bad i'd still be in shanghai & they aren't gonna bring this over here, hahaha

To 小熊找炮友

u can buy the pirated dvd there lah only RMB 7 cheap cheap. they also got sell li ming shun's "Kidnap" movie.

Your problem is that you have a problem with that? OMG, you're so negative.

Guest Gayticia

Aren't u trying to gain attention by starting a thread like this?? I don't think there is anything wrong with getting more famous.. it is just like the rich getting richer, gays getting "gayer". She is only making use of her potential in impersonation to bring joy and laughter from her leticia, lulu, SPGes and your neighbour Mdm Nancy Goh to the big screen. In fact, I consider her an underrated actress in Mediacock. We should admire her courage and support the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGP0Uq4Y6iA&feature=related

• HendryTan changed the title to Movie Recommendations / Reviews (Str8, Non-Pxxn) (Compiled)
  • G_M locked, locked, locked, locked and locked this topic
  • G_M unlocked, unlocked and unlocked this topic
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.