Male HQ

Body Building Protein & Health Supplements Discussion (Compiled)

Tight Ass

Anybody know where to get protein powders without all those artificial sweeteners?

Heard those are bad for health but I can't find any protein powders without those sweeteners on the market.

7 minutes ago, Guest said:

Anybody know where to get protein powders without all those artificial sweeteners?

Heard those are bad for health but I can't find any protein powders without those sweeteners on the market.

Here you go: http://www.thefitnessgrocer.com/whey-protein-80-by-lush-protein-1kg/

I haven't tried unflavoured protein but friends told me it tastes like cardboard. I've been using chocolate flavoured protein powder for close to 10 years and I'm doing just fine. Let us know how you get on. :)

2 hours ago, Guest said:

http://www.lushprotein.com/category/protein/whey-protein/prime-wpi.html

I'm taking this one, tastes like extremely bland milk.

皆々様には、御機嫌麗しゅう、恐悦至極に存じ奉ります。

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, sayfirst said:

Read from Jim Stoppani that a mix of whey and casein protein is good for several reasons. 

http://www.jimstoppani.com/home/articles/supplement-research-update-protein

Just putting this information out there :). People's preferences vary when it comes to supplements and everything else. 

Reidy's article cited in the website mentioned that the inital peak compared to whey protein only was much lesser, but the prolonged hyperacidomia observed through the consumption of protein blend (soy and casein) was due to the slower release and digestion (due to the nature of the protein). End of the day, it depends on what is of interest to the individual.Is it the larger spike at the start during the recovery phase which whey protein only is able to provide, or the prolonged hyperacidomia profile. It is noted that the leucine content in the blood spiked far greater as compared to the protein blend. Interestingly when I compared the results from Tang et. al. 2009, the FSR for whey was higher as compared to soy and casein alone, vs whey being lower in terms of FSR in Reidy's article. Yes a mixture could be good, but it can be rather expensive (ON's platinum hydrobuilder vs ON's standard whey).

• 9 months later...

My common protein supplement comes from natural source. It is moringa. As many health article, moringa leaves are very rich in protein (28g / 100g dry powder). Specially,  moringa protein has a far higher value than any other plant protein. A comparison with whey protein – used by bodybuilders and other people who work out on a high level – shows that Moringa can easily compete with high-value animal protein. I am a new gymer so It is very beneficial and supportive for my process. :D:D

Source: https://wikihomenutrition.com/moringa-health-benefits/

• 1 month later...
Guest nudetral

Hello all!

I have been training regularly since November and I have seen a lot of results! However I am trying to sculpt and carve out muscles (not just seen when there are shadows under light HAHHAH). So I have the following questions:

1. How do I know I should be in a calorie deficit or when I should be eating more?

2. Is circuit training a good way to go or should I focus on one station, do 3x12, then move on to the next station.

• 9 months later...

for those who rely on such supplements, ought to read who are those that must go for kidney checkup (for a very gd reason, of cos!)

now I fully understand why many came and tell me that they don't understand why are they sick or havin failures, they eat healthy and they even Gym!

11 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

for those who rely on such supplements, ought to read who are those that must go for kidney checkup (for a very gd reason, of cos!)

now I fully understand why many came and tell me that they don't understand why are they sick or havin failures, they eat healthy and they even Gym!

Anyone who eat healthily and workout regularly does not make them superhumans. They do fall sick too from time to time but it doesn't mean it is related to their kidney function. A "relationship implies causation" fallacy perhaps? Anyone who "rely on supplements" obviously fail to acknowledge the importance of a healthy balanced diet, and think that the consumption of supplement is the point of focus if they want to get big and strong after a bout of workout. Its a supplement, its meant to supplement not take over or replace.

4 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

I thk video is trying to ref to those who consumed gym supplements

mayb in a potential risk grp.......

Don't think we can classify all supplements to be the same. Even for the popular protein supplementation, recommendations for elderly goes up to 1.2 to 1.5g/kg/day. No solid evidence to date have really pin point the detrimental effects of consuming high amounts of protein supplementation. Ref: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1525861013003265

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 12:45 PM, xydboy said:

Don't think we can classify all supplements to be the same. Even for the popular protein supplementation, recommendations for elderly goes up to 1.2 to 1.5g/kg/day. No solid evidence to date have really pin point the detrimental effects of consuming high amounts of protein supplementation. Ref: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1525861013003265

yes, I agree , certain info is for generalisation

but  a side topic: I do notice that males tend to have gouts, surprisingly,,all the high no. of males around me are all those who don't really gym (exercise in some way yes!!!!!, they exercise much more than me)

3 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

yes, I agree , certain info is for generalisation

but  a side topic: I do notice that males tend to have gouts, surprisingly,,all the high no. of males around me are all those who don't really gym (exercise in some way yes!!!!!, they exercise much more than me)

Yes indeed. Males have higher incidence of gout than females at all ages. Risk factors such as hyperuricaemia (high levels of urate in the body), genetics, age, socioeconomic and gender does play a role as well. It is a complex disorder, and anything that encourages the growth of the monosodium urate crystal formation would predispose the individual to gout. It is these crystals that causes the pain in the joints that define gout. 

Ref:https://www.nature.com/articles/nrrheum.2015.91

I saw them really in pain (like giving birth) and docs advised them not to take in protein eg tofu (these are my fav food , tofu lah, beef etc)

which is also why I purposely mentioned, I noticed that those have gouts seldom do gym ie they don't even take gym protein supplement before in their whole life....yet they..........

life s amazing!!!!!

1 hour ago, -Ignored- said:

I saw them really in pain (like giving birth) and docs advised them not to take in protein eg tofu (these are my fav food , tofu lah, beef etc)

which is also why I purposely mentioned, I noticed that those have gouts seldom do gym ie they don't even take gym protein supplement before in their whole life....yet they..........

life s amazing!!!!!

Go gym and taking gym supplement quite different. I can go gym and don't take gym supplement, vice versa. One does not mean the other. But naturally those who exercise would have lower risk because of comorbidities. People who do not exercise might be at risk of developing cardiovascular disease. Simultaneously, people with cardiovascular disease have higher risk of getting gout than those who don't. So probably there would be a relationship. Nevertheless it is not a causative factor, where sedentary lifestyle cause gout. Not a direct causation found but a probable correlation.

• 4 months later...
On 16/06/2011 at 3:26 PM, Guest imseeker said:

Calculate how many grams of protein you need per day first using this online calculator!!!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/calpro.htm

The calculator on Bodybuilding.com massively overestimates how much protein is needed. It said I needed 220 grams per day, which is ludicrous! This one is far more accurate, and cites all the studies. Thought I'd share it in case any of you are interested:

Protein Intake Calculator

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2019 at 11:05 PM, Athletic said:

Some whey protein powder gives me headache. Have you guys experience that before? Which protein supplement would you recommend and which online store is your favorite?

I know these has been discussed above but it has been a while ago and any update would be appreciated.

The best protein supplement seems to be whey protein "isolate".   It is more expensive than the common whey protein, it has the fat removed and it is over 90% protein.

In my experience the isolate whey protein is very light and mixes well with water.  I buy it at Amazon,  their own brand. 

I stay away from supplements with fantastic claims and names.  The whey protein isolate is the only product I add to my natural diet to sustain my exercising with heavy weights (only heavy for me in my 70s, ha ha ha)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 12:05 PM, Athletic said:

Some whey protein powder gives me headache. Have you guys experience that before? Which protein supplement would you recommend and which online store is your favorite?

I know these has been discussed above but it has been a while ago and any update would be appreciated.

Whey protein gave me a lot of issue as well, I assume it's the lactose in the protein. I tried isolate, egg protein, Soy protein. Isolate doesn't really solve all the issue (depends on the brand and purity) but it's the cheapest option. I used muscle tech most of the time. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.