Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

How many of u guys cook your own dinner when you get home after work?

How much time do you spend doing this?

Does anyone have any quick and simple recipes to share?

Do u know of any cooking courses for men focussing on simple and quick meals?

I have recently taken to preparing my own dinner, and looking to broaden my repertoire of recipes. As I'm fitness-oriented, I prefer meals that are balanced with a generous portion of protein --- chicken breast etc. There may be only so many ways to skin a cat but I'm sure that there are much more ways to cook chicken! Lol!

Pasta bolognese, mushrooms sautéed with onions and garlic. Like Blacque says, check out foodwishes on YouTube. He has tons of recipes, most of which are quick and easy.

When I'm super lazy I opt for instant noodles and add veggies and an egg, Not the healthiest meal but hey, you're lazy and it's great comfort food!

Nasi Lemak

Curry Chicken

Sambal Chicken

Tom Yum Fried Rice

Roti John

Fried Noodle

Etc. Usually 30-45 mins.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

I cook dinner mostly on weekdays about 3 to 4 times a week.But my recipes (from my mum) are no quick and easy method.But i do have lazy way to cook..eg..chicken soup. I use a slow cooker when i need to go out. I put chicken meat,old cucumber,red dates and garlic into my slow cooker and switch it on and go out. When i come back just add a little salt and wa la...chicken soup.

My bf love my cooking. Another recipe is BBQ fish. But i do have my chilli paste (home made) always ready in the freeze. I just put the my chilli paste onto any fish and bake for 20 minutes. Fry vegetable with oyster sauce is also quick. 

Happy cooking..

Gosh, how'd you manage to learn to cook all these?

My late Mom. She taught me and I observed. And I also learned from my ex - a Thai. Then I came out with my own fusion dishes  :D

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

善待对人。麻烦用英文来表达信息。不是每个人都会看的懂中文 “People need to learn the art of making an argument. Often there is no

right or wrong. It's just your opinion vs someone else's opinion. How you deliver that opinion could make the difference between opening a mind,

changing an opinion or shutting the door. Sometimes folk just don't know when they've "argued" enough. Learn when to shut up."

― J'son M. Lee 

My late Mom. She taught me and I observed. And I also learned from my ex - a Thai. Then I came out with my own fusion dishes  :D

Sorry to hear about your mother. At least these are something to remember her by. Pretty rad that you've got the skills for these. Gosh I'm still hungry. That PBJ sandwich didn't cut it.

Guest Raiden Alpha

Herbal soup-Buy herbal soup pack in supermart and a pack of prime rib or chicken thigh. Boil the meat to get rid of the blood water,cut away the excess fat from it and place it into a slow cooker with the herbal ingredients together with appropriate level of water. Boil it for a few hours,add a dash of salt to adjust taste and it is ready to serve.

Desert-Red/Green bean soup.Wash bean with water and place it in a pot of water together with a few slice of mandrain peel to cook it.Add rock sugar,ready to serve.

I cook dinner 3-4 times a week. In order to minimize washing & have balance diet, I stick on to steaming (via wok) & grill (via conventional oven). When I use the wok for steaming, if it is for vegetables or tofu, I only wash the wok thoroughly once a week.

Steam dishes may be broccoli, tofu, french beans, lady's finger, bumpkin etc. Before steaming, for seasoning, I will mix one tablespoon of soya sauce with 2 tablespoon of udon sauce.

For grill dishes, can consider dried bean curd, Yong tau fu, fish cake, mushrooms etc. Of coz, you can grill any meat such as chicken or beef too.

For meat marination (done the night before), I would normally use Korean BBQ marination sauce from Ntuc (no MSG, no trans fat), Chinese Shao Xing Hwa Tiao wine (Yue Jian brand), sea salt etc.

The above dishes takes between 5-20 mins of cooking, little or no oil required & minimal washing.

Happy cooking...

Sorry to hear about your mother. At least these are something to remember her by. Pretty rad that you've got the skills for these. Gosh I'm still hungry. That PBJ sandwich didn't cut it.

Go Mustaffa. Stock up on snacks like their cocktail samosa. Cheap and nice. Instead of frying which is a hassle, oven in toaster oven.

― J'son M. Lee 

Sometimes I will cook on a weekend because weekday is too rush for me to prepare anything after I come back from work. I don't want to chop, cook and wash after I get home cos I'm already tired..I just want to eat and relaxxx!

SO what I usually do is I cook my own spaghetti sauce and store it in the fridge so I can use it for dinner on weekday. The thing is I can eat the same thing for dinner for 5 week days haha.

My recipe:

• Meat (any meat, usually I buy chicken and dice it...recently I tried IKEA meatballs)
  • Zucchini (I love this....or you can choose any veg like capsicum. Non-leafy vegs are best because leafy vegs are too fragile and will disintegrate easily)
  • Mushroom!!!! lots of mushrooms

For the base sauce. You can buy those pre-made San Remo pasta sauce but I find it cheaper to make my own. A bottle of San Remo would costs around $5 - 6, but if you buy the tomato puree, it's only $1.50 - 1.70 yooo!!!

• Tomato puree
  • Salt and pepper
  • Chopped onion and garlic (very good for your health!)
  • Water (the puree is very thick...so need to dilute abit)

Directions:

Very simple one. Stir fry everything, onion first then garlic then add meat, mushrooms, zucchini. Add the tomato puree + water last followed by salt pepper.

The after that I wait for the sauce to cool down before I keep it in the fridge!

So when I get home from work, I will boil my desired amount of pasta while I shower. Then drain the excess water and scoop the sauce from my fridge and stir in + heat it up together with the boiled pasta and yo're DONE!

That awkward moment when you say goodbye and then walk in the same direction...

you can always try picking up oven recipes. so you just prep everything in the morning such as marinating and stuff then come home throw it in the oven and go shower. voila, refreshed with dinner waiting :D

Cooking is my passion. Music is my life. Reading is my sanity. 

Bitching about you keeps me happy. 

"People fear because of a lack of understanding, and a lack of understanding comes from a lack of proper communication on both parties, so to resolve fear we need to first resolve communication"

is there any place where they teach u how to cook simple meals? may be moving out this year, and need to learn how to cook for myself -- other than maggi mee...

If you are serious about learning how to cook PM me. I can teach you from simple meal to curry fish head..lor.

Hi thanks...do u have an email add or line id so that we can discuss further?

If you are serious about learning how to cook PM me. I can teach you from simple meal to curry fish head..lor.

Hi thanks...do u have an email add or line id so that we can discuss further?

Hi..Why don you join Blowing Wind here and i can PM you my hp...You can come over to my place and learn cooking and we can have dinner togather with my bf... i cook like 4 times a week.

Edited by Friendly

is there any place where they teach u how to cook simple meals? may be moving out this year, and need to learn how to cook for myself -- other than maggi mee...

^-^

very simple dish but tasty!!

Edited by analogous

That awkward moment when you say goodbye and then walk in the same direction...

I always prepare and cook my own dinner when I am in Australia and often I try not to spend more than an hour cooking (unless it's weekend).

Often, I will prepare some side dishes (e.g. kimchi, stir-fried spinach) during the weekend, so on nights when I am really lazy, I'll just cook rice, boil an egg and eat them with the side dishes.

Otherwise, I'll cook simple one-dish/pot kinda stuff (e.g. oyakodon, stir-frys, steamed fish fillet) and eat with rice or pasta, and probably with the side dishes prepared during the weekend if my stomach is not satisfied. For variation, I cook soup around twice a week. Some soups (e.g. kimchi soup, soybean paste soup) can be quite easy to prepare and you'll just need to throw all the ingredients in to cook and wait for around 45min before consuming them (with rice). Sometimes if you have some leftovers, keep them in the fridge and you can use them to whip up a plate of fried rice on one of the nights!

Guest FeelinGroovy

Throw in a little olive oil onto a skillet, crackle a few cumin seeds. Drop in some salmon fillets. Sprinkle a little salt and a squeeze of lemon. 
Two good minutes and dinner is done. 

Hi..Why don you join Blowing Wind here and i can PM you my hp...You can come over to my place and learn cooking and we can have dinner togather with my bf... i cook like 4 times a week.

I'd love to pop by for a meal LOLOLOL. But seriously, it'll be cool to learn to whip up a snazzy dish on my own.

Edited by thetwentiethletter

Learned cooking on my own when i was going for studies abroad, so kinda accustomed to prepare meals on my own including dinner since.

How much time? Personal experinece lots of time spend on preparation, cutting,deboning, cleaning, marinating washing. Etc.cooking(except for stewing) is fast 5-15mins.

I have many, i can shared one of them -chicken thigh and drumstick, cut to small piece, clean,it, then add salt, pinch of sugar, soy sauce, sesame,oil and a bit wine(chinese), then steam it for 20min (till blood turns black). You ready to eat. Ginger garlic and spring onion are optional.

Cooking course- not that I am aware of. Either go cooking class in CC or if not learn by trial and error . Your best bet is of course Jamie Oliver 15min meal.

Agree with you on need for variety. But don't forget other source of protein like fish, beef, beans, nuts, lamb, pork, and vege.

hope it helps

How many of u guys cook your own dinner when you get home after work?

How much time do you spend doing this?

Does anyone have any quick and simple recipes to share?

Do u know of any cooking courses for men focussing on simple and quick meals?

I have recently taken to preparing my own dinner, and looking to broaden my repertoire of recipes. As I'm fitness-oriented, I prefer meals that are balanced with a generous portion of protein --- chicken breast etc. There may be only so many ways to skin a cat but I'm sure that there are much more ways to cook chicken! Lol!

Edited by Jekyll@hyde

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I usually take 0.5 to 1.0 hour to cook a meal for myself which reminds me how early my mom used to wake up in the morning to prepare breakfast before I go to school and the hours she spent in the afternoon to cook dinner for us. And she did that for 18 years.

Do the things at which you are great, not what you were never made for.”

I usually take 0.5 to 1.0 hour to cook a meal for myself which reminds me how early my mom used to wake up in the morning to prepare breakfast before I go to school and the hours she spent in the afternoon to cook dinner for us. And she did that for 18 years.

Are you Paranakan..because i am.. and this is what my mum does,spending hours just to prepare a meal..making sure is perfect for the family.. 

I take about an hour too to prepare dinner for me and my bf...3 to 4 times a week. Love to cook my own dinner.

I would like to invite 3 people here to come over to my house for Sunday dinner. I may cook curry fish head,fried wonton,soup or others. My cooking is Paranakan style. Maybe 2nd weekend of April..anyone interested PM me. 

Contribution of any thing for the dinner eg..fruits,juice,beer or wine is welcome but not a must. I can only accept max 3 people..

Are you Paranakan..because i am.. and this is what my mum does,spending hours just to prepare a meal..making sure is perfect for the family.. 

I take about an hour too to prepare dinner for me and my bf...3 to 4 times a week. Love to cook my own dinner.

I'm not :). But we're pretty traditional household. Back in those days, she still pounded chillies using a mortar. Her cooking is not perfect. She used to cook mackerels and snappers that are glimmered with chillies.

Do the things at which you are great, not what you were never made for.”

Maybe someone wants to start a thread to post pics of the dishes/meals cooked.

:thumb:

― J'son M. Lee 

Don't have to start a new thread... just post the pic here.

at times, the inspiration to cook came in late. Just like past Monday, I reached home at about 7.30pm. As I was watching TV, suddenly inspired to cook something. Went to the kitchen and rummage the fridge, found out that I still have some beef and black pepper sauce. So I cooked Black Pepper Beef... While putting it to simmer, I cooked rice.

when everything done.... lost appetite to eat and head to bed

If I cant feel it, I aint faking it

Haha, I just recently make a chilled potato salad...it is so easy...perfect for the weather now when it is so hot. 

Just boil potato, red pepper, corn,..and add 3:1 of greek yogert and mayo...and add rosemary herb. Mix them all up and you are done. Can add bacon also. :)) Protein.

Keep the easy recipes coming...hoping to develop a repertoire of easy simple dishes that can keep in the fridge. I am determine to prepare my lunch when i go to SMU. Food there is so ex!! 

Beef steak with vegetables and roti john by the side

1966280_515097888600929_1164364556_o.jpg

― J'son M. Lee 

I would like to invite 3 people here to come over to my house for Sunday dinner. I may cook curry fish head,fried wonton,soup or others. My cooking is Paranakan style. Maybe 2nd weekend of April..anyone interested PM me. 

Contribution of any thing for the dinner eg..fruits,juice,beer or wine is welcome but not a must. I can only accept max 3 people..

Do you have any idea of cooking asam fish?

Guest Lazy to wash

I will hate the washing part.  I prefer to eat meal that is non oily but healthy.  I am more into western, japanese style than Asian style.  Having a convection oven may do the job just find.  Sandwich, soba, spring roll should not require much washing of dish?  Any other meal that is less hassle, no need oil, chillie or smokey. Don't want my home to smell like coffees shop after a simple meal.

Do you have any idea of cooking asam fish?

Asam fish..first you need to make the chilli paste. Dry chilli,yellow ginger,garlic,onion,lemon grass,balacan,candle nut all pound togather. Use a little oil to fry the chilli paste add lima pulo leaves if you have then add asam water,little sugar and fish,tomato and pinapple. (Sorry for my spelling)

Asam fish..first you need to make the chilli paste. Dry chilli,yellow ginger,garlic,onion,lemon grass,balacan,candle nut all pound togather. Use a little oil to fry the chilli paste add lima pulo leaves if you have then add asam water,little sugar and fish,tomato and pinapple. (Sorry for my spelling)

Thank you very much,Friendly. Sorry, I do have 1 more question on cooking asam fish. Which type of fish is best for cooking with asam?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.