Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

7 hours ago, lovehandle said:

Cube3

Where did u normally purchase your miso paste? isetan , meidi ya at liangcourt?

U like miso soup?

This is for commercial kitchen: (whole day consumption)1 large pot
(U can scale down for your personal use like 1/5th pot?)

Use 5litre of water
Add in
-Miso paste 350g
-Dashi だし: 25g (if u dont like fishy smell can cut down on this)
If u wanna more miso feel, then up miso paste,
Cut down on rest (as in a commercial kitchen, in order to be thrifty, this is how they do it so as not to use whole pot of ONLY miso)
-蕎麦つゆ (Soba Soya sauce) 150g

Slow Boil @beginning and then high heat 

Last,
Sprinkle thinly sliced spring onions and wakame わかめ seaweed
If u want , throw in those 贝类 /"white" clams (jp tend to like this version)
Steamed-Clams.jpg

Oooh, what a good way to do clams (not my strong suite)...thank you, lovehandle!:P

On 30 July, 2016 at 8:23 PM, jcho said:

As much as I love cooking, I do have to say that I have had my fair share of epic disasters.

Last night was a typical example, I got 'chao ta" luncheon meat for dinner.

2 minutes ago, jcho said:

Not nice leh.

Next time like that (sometimes worse) I'll call you to come and eat.

Lol next time like that, PM me and can come eat something like dis la: from a couple of weeks ago, sweet-sour pork, batter fish, tofu, sesame chicken and mixed veg!

BWmeal.jpg

@Cube3 Wow! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I love but am not good in cooking fish and red meat.

Would like to eat the fish and sweet & sour pork.

Btw, do you cook so much food all at one go? I supposed you cook for more than 1 person.

49 minutes ago, jcho said:

@Cube3 Wow! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I love but am not good in cooking fish and red meat.

Would like to eat the fish and sweet & sour pork.

Btw, do you cook so much food all at one go? I supposed you cook for more than 1 person.

It was a meal for two...actually not that much work cuz can deep-fry at one go: tofu, fish then pork; have the sweet-sour sauce standby, pour out the oil then fry the veg, pork using the same saucepan, and chicken is cooked with larger slow-cooker. A bit to wash, but not too stressful to prep...

4 hours ago, Friendly said:

Dinner I cook always have soup, a seafood dish and veg. This pic of snapper fish cost me $7 from wet market . What to do that day bf requested for steam fish ha ha 

三菜①汤

Friendly

3 crabs S10 dollars is dirt cheap! How did u cook it?

Pepper crabs is  easy to cook, heat up 2 tablespoons of oil and add in some chop garlic and stir 30 second then add black pepper and crabs. Stir for about one minute add black sauce and a little water (less then half cup) Then cover it and let it cook for another 5 minutes depend on how many crabs lor. Tada .,Black pepper crabs . Cheers 

Edited by Friendly

On 04/08/2016 at 0:50 AM, Friendly said:

My bf steam seafood Myanmar style and it's good . 

image.jpeg

Looks interesting, pse elaborate: how is Myanmar style different from Chinese style? What's in the mix and how long the steaming...? Very curious...so, please? :P

Well.. i see my Bf chop garlic,coriander leaf,ginger,tomato and onion . Then he added a little oil and light sauce. Thats it and pour over the seafood lor..Add in an beaten eggs with pepper.  We kill two bird with one stone.. we steam our food on top of our rice cooker.. so it like when rice is cook.. steam food is also cook lor.. We are Lazy cooks.. he he

Edited by Friendly

Saturday night in the mood to cook dinner. Fish head with yam soup, sambal prawn and veg. I always use sea prawn which is abit X but use to eating them. My father was a fishing boat pilot, so had fresh seafood growing up. Don like farm prawn or fish . There is a difference lor. 

image.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Saturday night in the mood to cook dinner. Fish head with yam soup, sambal prawn and veg. I always use sea prawn which is abit X but use to eating them. My father was a fishing boat pilot, so had fresh seafood growing up. Don like farm prawn or fish . There is a difference lor. 

wow! prawns!
ex woh

and it s abit "exotic" to have yam as a savoury Asian soup, something new to me, Friendly!

Dear  all "Chef" in the making and experts,

is it too high class to use : hand blenders https://www.google.com.sg/search?biw=1366&bih=570&tbm=isch&q=hand+blender&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisrerAoq7OAhXFP48KHdDxB1IQhyYIIQ

to

mince/chop your garlic/chilli etc??

U can easily blend them in seconds and keep the whole box for the rest of the week(I noticed that many cannot do w/o chilli/belacan etc)

the same blender usu comes with those props/tools(In a set) for you to blend your soup(eg mushrm soup- the angmoh type)

by the way I dislike garlic (esp excessively) and I don't dip into wasabi /chilli/sauce in my daily routine ( I find it shocking that my colleagues cried and scream just cos there is no chilli in duck rice , in this and that)

I hope we can learn from Australia!

Guest guest
31 minutes ago, lovehandle said:

Dear  all "Chef" in the making and experts,

is it too high class to use : hand blenders https://www.google.com.sg/search?biw=1366&bih=570&tbm=isch&q=hand+blender&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwisrerAoq7OAhXFP48KHdDxB1IQhyYIIQ

to

mince/chop your garlic/chilli etc??

U can easily blend them in seconds and keep the whole box for the rest of the week(I noticed that many cannot do w/o chilli/belacan etc)

the same blender usu comes with those props/tools(In a set) for you to blend your soup(eg mushrm soup- the angmoh type)

by the way I dislike garlic (esp excessively) and I don't dip into wasabi /chilli/sauce in my daily routine ( I find it shocking that my colleagues cried and scream just cos there is no chilli in duck rice , in this and that)

I hope we can learn from Australia!

@lovehandleSo must as well u migrate to Aus,  we would be more than happy!!! 

自摸自爽

How can people miss out on oatmeal?!

They are so easy to pull together, requires minimal effort & time, definitely affordable, can be prepared sweet or savory, hearty and filling! You can even prepare them ahead of time (overnight oatmeal) and never have to worry about starving yourself the next morning just because you overslept! Just search up the net, the options are endless and the only limit is your imagination!

P.S. I'm that kind of person who can eat any food at any time. Many may link oatmeals and breakfast together but that doesn't apply to me. I can even eat steamboat in the morning and pancakes at night lol! 

22 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Tonight dinner Ribs corn Soup with carrots, sambal kang Kong and Asam string Ray fish with salted veg. See any thing you like ask me and I would be happy to share with you lor

@Friendly what kind of corn u used to boil the soup?  That day I used the Thai corn bought from ntuc, the whole pot of soup turn out sour (spoilt). I know they got 2 kinds,1 from Thai and the other from pasar brand. 

2 hours ago, Willy said:

@Friendly what kind of corn u used to boil the soup?  That day I used the Thai corn bought from ntuc, the whole pot of soup turn out sour (spoilt). I know they got 2 kinds,1 from Thai and the other from pasar brand. 

Thai's sourish?

7 hours ago, Friendly said:

I should learn how to take better pictures.. lor.. he he

I believe it is lack of lights that causes your picture to be blury. When the lighting is low, you need to hold the camera steady for a longer period of time in order for it to register well. To rectify this, either place your food under stronger lightings or add maybe a table lamp. Alternatively, shoot on a steady platform instead of holding on your hands, i.e. Rest the camera on top of something steady when you shoot, a box, a milo tin, hot water flask. Hold your breath just as you about to click on the button. 

2 hours ago, Friendly said:

As requested by my bf it's curry fish head for dinner tonight. 

image.jpeg

Oooh the pineapple looks like it really adds flavour to the dish! Must remember... Here's a more Chinese-Cantonese style meal: (from bottom right, clockwise) Super-rice with over 30 different types of grains, Mixed veg - long beans, corn and HK tofu strips, Tea-Leaf Chicken, Soy Pig-Skin, Old Gourd-Peanut Soup.

BW-Dinner1.jpg

Canton dish is an eye opening style of cooking too.. Thank you for sharing and i would be looking forward for your next post on what you cook. BTW how many ppl is eating all that above.. it looks like a dinner for 4. Hmm.. Tea Leaf chicken .. i have not even heard of it before.. I wonder do you just use any kind of tea leaf?Cheers.

3 hours ago, Friendly said:

Canton dish is an eye opening style of cooking too.. Thank you for sharing and i would be looking forward for your next post on what you cook. BTW how many ppl is eating all that above.. it looks like a dinner for 4. Hmm.. Tea Leaf chicken .. i have not even heard of it before.. I wonder do you just use any kind of tea leaf?Cheers.

I must confess: all that is just a meal for two! :wacko: The rice I would cook in bulk then freeze in portions for easy microwave later la.

* Tea leaf chicken: Oolong or Tieguanyin is preferred. This is otherwise known as Smoked Chicken in recipe books. Simple marinate with soy + oyster sauce, and to balance the 'bitterness' of the tea leaves, a bit more sugar. Then round off with sprinkle of sesame seed oil for fragrance. The taste can be subtle, more for fragrance than strong flavour.

19 hours ago, Friendly said:

Tonight dinner curry chicken, old fashion veg and fish yam soup. This cook will not cook dinner next two days and Sunday its usually dinner out with bf. Cheers 

image.jpeg

Nice curry,  also my favourite.

@Friendly don't mind can u pls teach how to cook the chicken curry.

I make my own chilli paste for use in all my curry and Asam dishes. You can blend them and put inside the freeze and use whenever you need to cook something like curry chicken, Asam fish or even BBQ fish. Dry chill 250g, yellow ginger 100g,wax nuts 100g, lemon grass 5 sticks, 4 large onions, some glove garlic, balacan,young ginger 100g and fresh red chilli 50g. Boil the dry chill and drain. Cut everything into smaller pics and then blend them all togather. Tada friendly chilli paste . Put in container and store in freeze 

Now curry chicken, Heat up two table spoon of oil , put in friendly chill paste stir for a minutes add curry power two spoons ( any kind of curry power available in supper market) stir another minute then add in lemon leaves and coconut milk. Stir two minutes, add in chicken and potatoes lower heat to middle and let it cook until cook lor. Tada curry chicken. Enjoy it 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.