Male HQ

Runners Den

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Will be doing the run350

route tomorrow (28feb). Pls

say hi to encourage each other day yeah. :P

haha, enjoy your run.  I registered my runs very early and sometimes I forgot the date of the actual run.  I totally forgotten to collect the race pack for the "Run For Hope" event and the run itself. :huh:

Typically, my running shoe needs a replacement after 2-2.5years. 

Normally, I do my run 1-2x a week; distance can be 10-21km (depending on time, day and my laziness level haha). 

After 2years, I feel that the shoe cushion is not doing a good job and I can feel a big difference in my run. 

Just to share. 

I was told to change my running shoes every 800km. I run about 60km a week (excluding my marathons/ half marathons) .So, I rotate between two pairs.

And I change my shoes every six months. It's terrible to change them so often when they still appear to be in pretty good condition. But I can feel the difference when I slip on a new pair of shoes. Because of my feet shape and my running style, I tend to wear those with extra support. So tip: Have more than one pair and change every 800km per pair.

Because I change my shoes so often, I do not buy those that are too expensive. $200 bucks max per pair. I like Asics and Saucony. They are really good!

I completed my first run of the year, the Marina Bay half marathon on Feb 20.

Upcoming runs which Ive already registered for:

The 2XU half marathon

The NTUC half marathon

The 18.45km Straits Times run

The Sundown full marathon

Am waiting to register for:

The Otter run half marathon

The Civil Service Club half marathon

And the Standard Chartered full marathon

Am considering the Bagan, Myanmar full marathon in November or the Angkor, Cambodia full marathon in August. :)

I love going for my weekend  30km long runs. I live near the Kallang area. Love running from home to the zoo in Mandai, amazing views near the Pierce and Seletar Reservoirs. Sometimes, I run up Mount Faber, to Kent Ridge Park and end at Vivo City. A few times. I ran from home to Sentosa, ran around Sentosa before taking a cab from Vivo city.

Slip on my tights, pack a few gels, bring some cash, run some anti blister stuff near my armpits and nipples and off I go. Anyone wants to join me on my long runs? :)

Guest Sport-coholic
2 hours ago, PaterTenebrarum said:

I was told to change my running shoes every 800km. I run about 60km a week (excluding my marathons/ half marathons) .So, I rotate between two pairs.

And I change my shoes every six months. It's terrible to change them so often when they still appear to be in pretty good condition. But I can feel the difference when I slip on a new pair of shoes. Because of my feet shape and my running style, I tend to wear those with extra support. So tip: Have more than one pair and change every 800km per pair.

Because I change my shoes so often, I do not buy those that are too expensive. $200 bucks max per pair. I like Asics and Saucony. They are really good!

I completed my first run of the year, the Marina Bay half marathon on Feb 20.

Upcoming runs which Ive already registered for:

The 2XU half marathon

The NTUC half marathon

The 18.45km Straits Times run

The Sundown full marathon

Am waiting to register for:

The Otter run half marathon

The Civil Service Club half marathon

And the Standard Chartered full marathon

Am considering the Bagan, Myanmar full marathon in November or the Angkor, Cambodia full marathon in August. :)

I love going for my weekend  30km long runs. I live near the Kallang area. Love running from home to the zoo in Mandai, amazing views near the Pierce and Seletar Reservoirs. Sometimes, I run up Mount Faber, to Kent Ridge Park and end at Vivo City. A few times. I ran from home to Sentosa, ran around Sentosa before taking a cab from Vivo city.

Slip on my tights, pack a few gels, bring some cash, run some anti blister stuff near my armpits and nipples and off I go. Anyone wants to join me on my long runs? :)

Living too far to join you. :(

On 6 March, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Heh. said:

how do yall train for a half marathon? I'm taking part in 2xu

Hahah, can't wait for 2XU! I want run beyond 2hrs. My best result ever was 2hrs 18mins :(

Any1 gg for Duathlon next Sat? 6km run plus 20km road biking.

To Heh, on your question on how to train for a half marathon: :)

Imho, to run long distance, start with 5km first. Then gradually increase. From 10, go up to 12, then 15...then SLOWLY build towards 21km as you go along. Listen your your body. If you feel any discomfort, stop and rest. It took me quite some time to build towards running a full marathon, suffered black toenails and chafing along the way, but I learn as I go along.

Im almost 40, and I think you are younger than me, no? So I think you will be able to do very very well. :)

Tips:

1. Please wear anti blister socks. They help. Blisters can really hurt and will make you give up.

2. For long distance runs, 21km and above, wear running tights to prevent chafing around your crotch.

3. Put on anti blister/chafing roll ons and ointment before you run. Slap some on your nipples cos Ive seen bleeding nipples. They hurt cos I had them on my first marathon years ago. I also put some near my underarms as they tend to chafe there too.

4. Buy a nice waistpouch made for running in which you can store your money, gels, whatever, when you go for your long runs. Some ppl like wearing those that come with water bottles. I dont like them, but to each his own. I wear plain ones. :)

5. Buy your own gels to consume as you go along. You can order them online from iherb.

6. You can also buy the rollon, socks, pouches, etc from Running Lab.

Im not a pro, but I can help any way I  can. *grin*

1 hour ago, PaterTenebrarum said:

To Heh, on your question on how to train for a half marathon: :)

Imho, to run long distance, start with 5km first. Then gradually increase. From 10, go up to 12, then 15...then SLOWLY build towards 21km as you go along. Listen your your body. If you feel any discomfort, stop and rest. It took me quite some time to build towards running a full marathon, suffered black toenails and chafing along the way, but I learn as I go along.

Im almost 40, and I think you are younger than me, no? So I think you will be able to do very very well. :)

Tips:

1. Please wear anti blister socks. They help. Blisters can really hurt and will make you give up.

2. For long distance runs, 21km and above, wear running tights to prevent chafing around your crotch.

3. Put on anti blister/chafing roll ons and ointment before you run. Slap some on your nipples cos Ive seen bleeding nipples. They hurt cos I had them on my first marathon years ago. I also put some near my underarms as they tend to chafe there too.

4. Buy a nice waistpouch made for running in which you can store your money, gels, whatever, when you go for your long runs. Some ppl like wearing those that come with water bottles. I dont like them, but to each his own. I wear plain ones. :)

5. Buy your own gels to consume as you go along. You can order them online from iherb.

6. You can also buy the rollon, socks, pouches, etc from Running Lab.

Im not a pro, but I can help any way I  can. *grin*

thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...