Jump to content
Male HQ

Recommended Posts

Freestyle is my favourite but I'm training to better my backstroke and Butterfly. If i can swim everyday, it would be great but work allows me to swim only 3 times a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, axefactor said:

Freestyle is my favourite but I'm training to better my backstroke and Butterfly. If i can swim everyday, it would be great but work allows me to swim only 3 times a week.

Where do u usually swim?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, axefactor said:

Kallang or Geylang East

Cool. 
 

1 hour ago, sayfirst said:

I was practising backstroke before CB but always end up swimming slanted instead of straight

i think it has to do with one arm being weaker than the other?  Not sure though 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, begleitung said:

Cool. 
 

i think it has to do with one arm being weaker than the other?  Not sure though 

 

 

 

I asked a coach who said that it just requires more practice, not about muscular imbalance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see. The coach should know better. I have the same problem too. I kept swimming to one side not in a straight line when doing backstroke. But i tried to use the lanes dividers (not sure what they are called?) to guide me though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wrong advice from the coach. It's using the correct technique. It doesn't mean that if you practice more, you are going to get better. If you practice more with the wrong techniques, you are just gonna swim a really bad stroke. And wrong techniques will lead to muscle imbalance which will cause serious shoulder injuries. Not all coaches are knowledgeable when it comes to swimming techniques. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, begleitung said:

True, he should at least tell u how to practise better?

Agree, but there are two types of coaches. One is more of just an instructor with knowledge of coaching but not necessarily equipped with the proper techniques and dynamics of how a body moves through the water. The other is a competitive swim coach who is able to spot even the tiniest mistake and help you to improve them. I just guess the coach was either not well trained enough to give the correct answer or he was just simply giving a general reply 😂

 

By the way, thanks so much for starting this thread. Great effort on your part to get more people interested in swimming instead of always wanting to hook up. Let's hope more people will join this community :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me! Swimming has become a regular form of exercise for me since I stopped jogging indefinitely. I would swim up to 3 times a week usually on weekday afternoons or evenings and I believe it helped me lose weight and get more toned. The only stroke I know is the breast stroke. My usual spots are Katong and Kallang Basin, and recently (before the closure) Tampines SAFRA, but you have to go before 5pm or after 7pm when the crowd thins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love backstroke, but in a public pool it's troublesome to swim that stroke since you gotta watch where you're going or risk bumping into people (which can hurt if you're swimming fast)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Torrent said:

Love backstroke, but in a public pool it's troublesome to swim that stroke since you gotta watch where you're going or risk bumping into people (which can hurt if you're swimming fast)

 

A few people doing backstroke hit into me a few times already. Some of them do behave like they own the whole pool though, which leaves a bad aftertaste.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, repressednerd said:

 

A few people doing backstroke hit into me a few times already. Some of them do behave like they own the whole pool though, which leaves a bad aftertaste.


I don't 'speed' in a public pool, and I always turn around to look every 1-2 strokes of backstroke. This is why if I get the opportunity to swim privately, I'll backstroke leisurely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 11:27 AM, axefactor said:

Agree, but there are two types of coaches. One is more of just an instructor with knowledge of coaching but not necessarily equipped with the proper techniques and dynamics of how a body moves through the water. The other is a competitive swim coach who is able to spot even the tiniest mistake and help you to improve them. I just guess the coach was either not well trained enough to give the correct answer or he was just simply giving a general reply 😂

 

By the way, thanks so much for starting this thread. Great effort on your part to get more people interested in swimming instead of always wanting to hook up. Let's hope more people will join this community :)

No worries!  A bit of a wishful thinking considering they are still not open. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 4:02 PM, Torrent said:


I don't 'speed' in a public pool, and I always turn around to look every 1-2 strokes of backstroke. This is why if I get the opportunity to swim privately, I'll backstroke leisurely.

I do that too. I only do backstroke when it is empty enough or i have a lane to myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 4:02 PM, Torrent said:


I don't 'speed' in a public pool, and I always turn around to look every 1-2 strokes of backstroke. This is why if I get the opportunity to swim privately, I'll backstroke leisurely.

So you were previously a competitive swimmer? I hardly hear people mention that they swim backstroke in the swimming threads. Probably because it's considered a "Blind Stroke" since we can't see where we are going, which is also why it's not a commonly used stroke in public pools.

 

Or is it because I don't read all of the previous thread :D

 

On 6/7/2020 at 2:26 PM, repressednerd said:

 

A few people doing backstroke hit into me a few times already. Some of them do behave like they own the whole pool though, which leaves a bad aftertaste.

Yes, which is why I don't swim backstroke when the pool is crowded. Not all swimmers doing backstroke are inconsiderate. It all depends on whether you are a reasonable and responsible swimmer. Years back I recalled that this obnoxious guy in his 50s who was swimming freestyle told me to swim further away as I was taking up "his lane". LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, axefactor said:

Yes, which is why I don't swim backstroke when the pool is crowded. Not all swimmers doing backstroke are inconsiderate. It all depends on whether you are a reasonable and responsible swimmer. Years back I recalled that this obnoxious guy in his 50s who was swimming freestyle told me to swim further away as I was taking up "his lane". LOL.

 

Worse case would be those uncles ganging up with the swimming pool staff to accuse you of being a nuisance, despite a large number of them hogging the place, especially at Hougang Pool. That's why I love Kallang Basin pool where it is peaceful for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, begleitung said:

If they really allow only one person per lane it would be heaven.  
 

 

but that would mean a lot of people would not get to swim. 

More like hell for serious swimmers like us. How to swim like that esp when ppl just go in and soak? Unless they have a timing system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, repressednerd said:

 

Worse case would be those uncles ganging up with the swimming pool staff to accuse you of being a nuisance, despite a large number of them hogging the place, especially at Hougang Pool. That's why I love Kallang Basin pool where it is peaceful for me.

Yeah, those are the worse. I ever got a back eye when i was punched by a guy in his 50s years back who suddenly swam into my path in the circle swim lane. Asshole refused to apologise when I approached the lifeguard and complained. These are the obnoxious people who should not be allowed to endanger swimmers. So you swim at Hougang huh? it's quite crowded most times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question. Which stroke is most effective in terms of an overall workout & calorie burn? I only do freestyle. Breastroke for cooling down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davlim76 said:

Question. Which stroke is most effective in terms of an overall workout & calorie burn? I only do freestyle. Breastroke for cooling down. 

Definitely butterfly. But it's also the toughest stroke to learn. And not much use to burn calories if you dun swim a proper stroke and get tired fast. Best is still freestyle but to really burn, you need to do more sprint sets, which raises the heartrate. Casual freestyle swim will definitely burn calories but not much if you do a relaxed one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, axefactor said:

So you were previously a competitive swimmer? I hardly hear people mention that they swim backstroke in the swimming threads. Probably because it's considered a "Blind Stroke" since we can't see where we are going, which is also why it's not a commonly used stroke in public pools.

 

Or is it because I don't read all of the previous thread :D

 

Yes, which is why I don't swim backstroke when the pool is crowded. Not all swimmers doing backstroke are inconsiderate. It all depends on whether you are a reasonable and responsible swimmer. Years back I recalled that this obnoxious guy in his 50s who was swimming freestyle told me to swim further away as I was taking up "his lane". LOL.


I wouldn't really call myself a competitive swimmer but I was 'forced' to take up NASSA tests. Under those test conditions, you do have to learn to swim at considerable timings, I completed up till Gold successfully, was supposed to train for Gold Star but I ended up dropping out shortly before my Poly days.

I mean, I wasn't going to be a lifeguard anyway, and I already mastered more than just the basics of swimming so being Gold was good enough. I have been swimming since I was 5 anyway, I basically just 'retired' and swim only leisurely, and for keeping fit these days.

When I was a kid taking up swimming lessons though, I did had a few bump accidents involving backstroke. It was the best stroke to swim but also the most dangerous.

Edited by Torrent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, begleitung said:

Do they have the nassa courses for adults?  So is it like a grading course for swimmers?  Learning all the strokes with timings?


I've been out of the loop too long, I don't know how that works for adults. But I do know that in order for someone to apply for the lifeguard certification, they would need to pass everything from basics to Gold Star before they're allowed to try. So there is probably a way out for adults to do this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Torrent said:


I wouldn't really call myself a competitive swimmer but I was 'forced' to take up NASSA tests. Under those test conditions, you do have to learn to swim at considerable timings, I completed up till Gold successfully, was supposed to train for Gold Star but I ended up dropping out shortly before my Poly days.

I mean, I wasn't going to be a lifeguard anyway, and I already mastered more than just the basics of swimming so being Gold was good enough. I have been swimming since I was 5 anyway, I basically just 'retired' and swim only leisurely, and for keeping fit these days.

When I was a kid taking up swimming lessons though, I did had a few bump accidents involving backstroke. It was the best stroke to swim but also the most dangerous.

Swimming against timing is always a challenge and from that I can see that you are quite a fast swimmer. I also started swimming from young and most of the time I learned faster through observation, asking questions and practice :) I do mostly a lots of freestyle kicking and sprinting as this helps me to lose fats faster. Now with the pools closed, getting pudgy...LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Torrent said:


I've been out of the loop too long, I don't know how that works for adults. But I do know that in order for someone to apply for the lifeguard certification, they would need to pass everything from basics to Gold Star before they're allowed to try. So there is probably a way out for adults to do this.

Cool, thank you. I will look around. 
 

i really admire kids and adults who can do cool flip turns when swimming freestyle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, begleitung said:

Do they have the nassa courses for adults?  So is it like a grading course for swimmers?  Learning all the strokes with timings?

NASSA has been phased out. i think the new syllabus is called Swim Safer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, begleitung said:

Cool, thank you. I will look around. 
 

i really admire kids and adults who can do cool flip turns when swimming freestyle. 

Yes, it certain does look cool but having the correct breathing technique while executing it is important, else you end up gasping for breath after the turn...haha.

 

2 minutes ago, morningglory said:

NASSA has been phased out. i think the new syllabus is called Swim Safer

Yup. That's correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, axefactor said:

Swimming against timing is always a challenge and from that I can see that you are quite a fast swimmer. I also started swimming from young and most of the time I learned faster through observation, asking questions and practice :) I do mostly a lots of freestyle kicking and sprinting as this helps me to lose fats faster. Now with the pools closed, getting pudgy...LOL

 

I don't think I'm able to hit those timings compared to when I was 15 anymore lol, old liao haha. We had to do all strokes (side/back/freestyle/butterfly/frog) every lesson, I would end up being so exhausted, but it was crazy good cardio without the need to sweat. Always looked forward to the downtime period in lessons where we just had to tread water or just kick with a board.

But yeah, waiting for the pools to reopen again. Also missed seeing eye candy haha!

 

12 minutes ago, begleitung said:

Cool, thank you. I will look around. 
 

i really admire kids and adults who can do cool flip turns when swimming freestyle. 


Personally, there's another less showy method to do it without flipping 360. The method you speak of, if you don't do it right, water gets into your nose and oh god that feeling sucks the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Torrent said:

 

I don't think I'm able to hit those timings compared to when I was 15 anymore lol, old liao haha. We had to do all strokes (side/back/freestyle/butterfly/frog) every lesson, I would end up being so exhausted, but it was crazy good cardio without the need to sweat. Always looked forward to the downtime period in lessons where we just had to tread water or just kick with a board.

But yeah, waiting for the pools to reopen again. Also missed seeing eye candy haha!

 


Personally, there's another less showy method to do it without flipping 360. The method you speak of, if you don't do it right, water gets into your nose and oh god that feeling sucks the most.

In my class we used to do relays haha. Swimming lessons aren't as good as before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Torrent said:

 

I don't think I'm able to hit those timings compared to when I was 15 anymore lol, old liao haha. We had to do all strokes (side/back/freestyle/butterfly/frog) every lesson, I would end up being so exhausted, but it was crazy good cardio without the need to sweat. Always looked forward to the downtime period in lessons where we just had to tread water or just kick with a board.


But yeah, waiting for the pools to reopen again. Also missed seeing eye candy haha!

 


Personally, there's another less showy method to do it without flipping 360. The method you speak of, if you don't do it right, water gets into your nose and oh god that feeling sucks the most.

The reason why I love swimming and for that matter most water sports is that you dun get that sticky feeling from sweating. I tend to sweat too much and I dislike it. Swimming is good overall for the body as it has the least impact on the joints and you really work those calories if you push yourself hard enough. 

Re eye candy, I have personally never seen one at Kallang so far lol..maybe wrong timing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, morningglory said:

In my class we used to do relays haha. Swimming lessons aren't as good as before

Looks like morninggllory is a good swimmer too! Relays are really fun and exciting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, axefactor said:

Looks like morninggllory is a good swimmer too! Relays are really fun and exciting!

nah im decent. started swimming since 6 years old and worked up to become a lifeguard eventually haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, morningglory said:

In my class we used to do relays haha. Swimming lessons aren't as good as before


We don't really have relays because we aren't training for competition, but there was the pressure to swim X strokes under X timing in order to pass the test. The funniest part about the lessons was the part where you have to turn your pajamas pants into a float, and everyone would have those oversized inflated pants in the water.
 

Just now, axefactor said:

The reason why I love swimming and for that matter most water sports is that you dun get that sticky feeling from sweating. I tend to sweat too much and I dislike it. Swimming is good overall for the body as it has the least impact on the joints and you really work those calories if you push yourself hard enough. 

Re eye candy, I have personally never seen one at Kallang so far lol..maybe wrong timing :)


I used to go to Yishun/Woodlands when I was a kid, for lessons, there was no shortage of good bods in swim trunks. These days I just stick to the pool near my house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, morningglory said:

nah im decent. started swimming since 6 years old and worked up to become a lifeguard eventually haha

So you are a full-time one or just for interest sake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Torrent said:


We don't really have relays because we aren't training for competition, but there was the pressure to swim X strokes under X timing in order to pass the test. The funniest part about the lessons was the part where you have to turn your pajamas pants into a float, and everyone would have those oversized inflated pants in the water.
 


I used to go to Yishun/Woodlands when I was a kid, for lessons, there was no shortage of good bods in swim trunks. These days I just stick to the pool near my house.

Haha, maybe those are the pools that I shd go visit but it's too far aways since I live in the east.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, morningglory said:

i work part time for like about 8 years

Ah, it can be a boring job esp when the pool is relatively empty. I had a friend who worked as a lifeguard for many years and he said that your mind can really wander just by looking at the water for extended periods. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, axefactor said:

Haha, maybe those are the pools that I shd go visit but it's too far aways since I live in the east.


The timing and days you go also matter, pools aside, the changing room is also quite a sight sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, axefactor said:

Ah, it can be a boring job esp when the pool is relatively empty. I had a friend who worked as a lifeguard for many years and he said that your mind can really wander just by looking at the water for extended periods. 

yeah it is boring and it can get tiring when the weather is really hot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Torrent said:


The timing and days you go also matter, pools aside, the changing room is also quite a sight sometimes.

If there's eye candies, it also means that the pools will be quite crowded....i rather have a nice quiet place to swim :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, morningglory said:

i work part time for like about 8 years


All my years of swimming, I never really seen a lifeguard in swim trunks before. They all wear shorts, but I'm told they do wear swim trunks underneath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, axefactor said:

If there's eye candies, it also means that the pools will be quite crowded....i rather have a nice quiet place to swim :D


Technically, a family friendly one is quiet (just have a lot of kids), you won't see cruisers venturing there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Torrent said:


All my years of swimming, I never really seen a lifeguard in swim trunks before. They all wear shorts, but I'm told they do wear swim trunks underneath.

red shorts are part of our uniform. some of us wear undies, some wear swim trunks and some dont wear anything lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Torrent said:


All my years of swimming, I never really seen a lifeguard in swim trunks before. They all wear shorts, but I'm told they do wear swim trunks underneath.

Maybe just an exceptional few. Most of them aren't really in good shape to look good in swim briefs so they might feel self conscious. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By begleitung
      Turns u on?
    • By Antonio
      Hi there; 
       
      I am Antonio, filipino of origin, singapore citizen. I am a certified and experienced massage therapist.
       
      Providing outcall swedish/ sports massage services at your place from 7pm onwards; from Mondays to Fridays.
       
      1 hour= $50; 2 hours= $75; No special services; Please let me know if you require a massage bed.
       
      Please contact me by WhatsApp only: 9455 8067. Please book at least 3 hours before. Thanks
    • By Soulzz
      35 Professional home based massage therapist
       
      Deep tissue massage 
      For incall $60/hour, $90/90mins, $110/120mins at Sengkang West; For outcall depends on location min. 90mins or 120mins with min. surcharge of $20-$50. 
      Additional rate for Body scrub $35.
      Add on service: Face massage $38
       
      Ops hours: 
      Weekday 11am to 10pm.
      Weekend 11am to 3pm.
       
      Line Id: Merson82 
      Whatsapp: 90288141 
      Carousell id: Soulzz (For more reviews)
      For advance booking
       
      Private room with private bathroom attached. Strictly professional service only. 
    • By GachiMuchi
      Heart Sutra (cho ver.) [telework mix] with Buddhist Monks Around the World - Japanese Zen Music
       
      Heart Sutra (cho ver.)(sakura mix.) × Kodai-ji Temple,Kyoto,Japan - Japanese Zen Music
       
      Heart Sutra (cho ver.)(yo-zakura mix.) × Taizo-in Temple,Kyoto,Japan - Japanese Zen Music
       
×
×
  • Create New...
counter