Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

On ‎27‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, RYdetime said:

That's alot of rice!

unless it is really hard labour work, it is indeed a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually ask the hawker to cut away some rice, and still I threw 1/5th away
too much

did friendly answer that remark?
Is that why someone question why are they eating so much ?

19 minutes ago, doncoin said:

Typical dinner for bf and myself. Mixed salad (spring mix, endamame, pumpkin seeds, carrots and croutons) with light vinaigrette dressing, brown rice with veggies and seaweed, steamed salmon filet that is lightly broiled. 

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

* Sigh * I must eat like dat if I wanna have your beautifully sculpted bod! :frustrated:

OK, so tonight's dinner: chopped kale with spring mix, white and red cabbage, diced jicama, 4 egg whites, cashew nuts (ran out of almonds) with home-made ginger peanut dressing (peanut butter, rice vinegar, grated ginger, soy sauce). Sorry, photo a little blurry. 

FullSizeRender 3.jpg

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

9 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Want sculpted abs too!...So here's tonight's dinner...tomatoes from Austalia (and a bit of kailan out-of-pic). Note that the deep-coloured tomatoes on top are actually chocolate-coloured on the outside. They are called Kumatoes!:thumb:

Oz Tomatoes.jpg

Very cool. I don't think I can find them here in the US. I am very into grape tomatoes lately and started experimenting with kimchi with meals. 

Love. 

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:45 PM, Cube3 said:

Nothing too elaborate...Soy Sauce Chicken, veggies like tomato, chye sim and pickled radish, and salmon! Fuss-free...

Soy Sauce Chicken.jpg

salmn is gd!
Tomatoes gd too but........

nt for me, just don't q like tomatoes alone

nt sure why though generally I m not fussy

9 minutes ago, Friendly said:

I would love to try if u are buying, it sure looks expensive for me lor

U cant get it in sg woh, if not wld have open a party at your regular feast dinner
i hve never been to korea, anyway...but u can sample small pc of tentacles at their markets, it shouldn't be costly

btw, when i told others i have pork (yes raw, red rawish col) sushi (In the land of where else famous for such food) , many cannot believe
n i don't have diarrhoea

It s famous for horse meat too, yummy!!!!!!!!!!!! neigh neigh.

the only thing that is often dine for: rabbit meat and kangaroo, i hve yet to tried them

Eating raw beef I sent pretty common. The Korean raw beef salad (Yukhoe) and the western appetizer (Steak tartare) are quite similar that they both used raw beef, one is thin stripes while the other is minced. Both usually also include raw egg. 

Also came across a foodie programme from Japan where a whole chunk of raw beef was served in a bowl. Than again only in Japan you also have raw chicken sashimi. Usually the chicken comes from reliable sources and cut within the day to ensure freshness. 

Other raw food

http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/15-raw-meat-dishes-from-around-the-world

1 hour ago, Friendly said:

Yes green melon with black fungus fry with oyster sauce. Was told black fungus is good for health but I only know how to use it with fry vegetables. Anyone know what else I can cook it with?

Hakka Yellow Wine Chicken usually has black fungus.

9 hours ago, Friendly said:

Yes green melon with black fungus fry with oyster sauce. Was told black fungus is good for health but I only know how to use it with fry vegetables. Anyone know what else I can cook it with?

Black fungus traditionally appears in some Hokkien Chap Chye too: w cabbage, dried beeancurd, tunghoon? Makes a quick and nutritious meal.:thumb:

Christmas is coming , surely many home parties planned

bfore I get slap that this thread is about cooking your meals, b it bfast or hi tea, is that so crucial??????
in this era, bfast is the focus , no longer the dinner

Pls allow flexibility so long it is about cooking and learning how to whip out good dishes , sharing of good recipes
be it hi tea or whatever, we should tolerate and let it pass, cos we are not flamers like some other forummers

and obviously , we can see that we have people living in the states, mediterranean, so we should include lifestyle of those

hence bringing you xmas cookies esp the cognac version: cos I believe some of u r good drinkers right?
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2012/11/cognac-cookies/
http://www.agardenforthehouse.com/2014/10/fragrant-earl-grey-cookies/#comment-2339203

I have done turkey but it s so cliché and common for xmas , so I hate to share it here unless there is a strong cry for it
How I wish I live in a temperate country w a garden of herbs and plants for cooking

Could the moderator change the title , I hate reading a forum that has separate thread for similar titles:

eg
Cook your own bfast

cook your lunch

cook n prep your high t

cook your supper
Cook a midnight meal (some religion does that)
Cook your own nonya kueh
and to me , to some workers - dinner is like their lunch break too
so long it is value-adding about prep for your meal (regardless of timing ) including taobao - takeout/takeaway, some will use such methods to tie their partner's heart, must we really have to make it so strict????????????
Gays should be inclusive!

Friendly has to be friendly loh

So, I have my cheat day today. For dinner I made bbq shortribs with steamed white rice with veggies. I have a thing for bowl meals. It helps with portion control, and less dishes to wash. 

I cooked the short ribs in slow cooker before i went to work this morning. Now, this will be my dinner and lunch for the next 2-3 days. :) 

IMG_0139.jpg

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

14 hours ago, doncoin said:

So, I have my cheat day today. For dinner I made bbq shortribs with steamed white rice with veggies. I have a thing for bowl meals. It helps with portion control, and less dishes to wash. 

I cooked the short ribs in slow cooker before i went to work this morning. Now, this will be my dinner and lunch for the next 2-3 days. :) 

IMG_0139.jpg

Lol I want to see the ribs without the rice... (and the profile photo without the thong) :P

Had this less common veg called yellow squash in fridge, so thought share how it can be cooked: 1) bottom right in pic, with cutup cubes. Added some garlic, onion and chives. 2) Should actually fry beforehand but too lazy, so just mixed everything in casserole. The crumbs are crushed almonds and parmesan cheese. 3) Whipped yoghurt, egg and flavouring together (salt, soy sauce, pepper etc.) and mix in. 4) Bake for approx. half hour, sprinkle chives and dried parsley on top. 5) Slice out, tastes like meat pie, but it's vegetarian (with egg)!

First-time with yellow squash, so it's interesting...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

3 hours ago, Friendly said:

Cube3 looking at each pictures it's like magic lor,thanks for sharing. Perhaps next time I will also share a dish step by step too.

Badden all your wonderful secret recipes will be out in the open! ...Must keep a few up your sleeve la ;)

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, doncoin said:

Today's lunch. Home made pizza. Left over chicken, diced red onions, parmesan cheese with chopped parsley. Pizza dough was store bought :) 

IMG_0234.jpg

clever way , cos it takes a lot of effort just to make the dough from scratch and u need to buy yeast just for that

On 11/25/2016 at 1:28 AM, Cube3 said:

Had this less common veg called yellow squash in fridge, so thought share how it can be cooked: 1) bottom right in pic, with cutup cubes. Added some garlic, onion and chives. 2) Should actually fry beforehand but too lazy, so just mixed everything in casserole. The crumbs are crushed almonds and parmesan cheese. 3) Whipped yoghurt, egg and flavouring together (salt, soy sauce, pepper etc.) and mix in. 4) Bake for approx. half hour, sprinkle chives and dried parsley on top. 5) Slice out, tastes like meat pie, but it's vegetarian (with egg)!

First-time with yellow squash, so it's interesting...

love squash... too bad the wet markets don't usually sell them... Another one you can use (same family) is zucchini...

Edited by Swisse

This dinner only self-prepped a few items, the rest were tapao-ed. But thot to introduce this other veg seldom cooked here. It's called kohlrabi (purple colour in photo below). Tried out online recipe where you slice it into vertical chunks, pickle with salt. Then add olive oil, garlic, pepper and toss. Sesame seeds added too (keeps your hair black). Turned out quite delicious!

Kohlrabi tastes a little like white radish or local 'bangkuang' :)

kohlrabi1.jpg

kohlrabi2.jpg

Edited by Cube3
attach

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, Friendly said:

Our afternoon snack with coffee. White carrot cake Home fry.

that reminds me of non-dinner item and I still have NOT find any carrot cakes from NTUC or cold storage loh

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.