Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

5 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Chicken lotus roots soup(peanut opional) Cooking this soup in my slow pot for dinner tonight. I just going to put everything inside my old slow pot and throw in some peanuts and let it cook for about 4 hours . Add salt and Tada .. My chicken lotus soup. 

image.jpeg

On the saucer bottom right, is it, um, 党参?

4 hours ago, Friendly said:

Sorry me no read chinese... if you refering to those four pics of brown roots.. He he.. i only know how to buy don know the name.. its like the cousin of ginseng lor.(Dang Shen) I check.

Lol yes, that's it, dangshen. How come: know how to eat don't know how to read? ;)

2 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Lol yes, that's it, dangshen. How come: know how to eat don't know how to read? ;)

I am Paranakan and I study english and Malay in School lor. Pick up how to speak simple chinese but  don know how to read or write. Sometime i take photo on my iphone to show the chinese medication hall what i want to buy.. he he.. a malay friend teach me one.

5 hours ago, angel_dust said:

Spent some 1.5 hours BBQing at home all by myself. Siong man.

And I hope you didn't eat them all by yourself! Looks like lots of food for 1 person. 

Food like this this need to go with nice dipping sauce:

Belachan chilli

- Handful of fresh Chillis, Bird's eye if you prefer heat. 

- about 1 tsp Belachan, lightly toasted on a dry pan. Amount can be increase depending on saltiness of Belachan.

- 4-5 Kaffir lime leaves, removing center hardy stalks

Pound the above to rough or smooth paste depending on your preference. 

Serve with freshly squeeze calamansi juice. Again amount depending on preference of thickness of Chilli you prefer.

You can also stuff Chilli in the belly of Ikan Kuning, than BBQ. Leaving the calamansi juice for squeezing on the piping hot BBQ fish.

Guest Cooker
6 hours ago, angel_dust said:

veal and lamb sausages.

BBQ4_zps31tadwgq.jpg

WOw some of them look like uncut dicks with the mushroom head peeping out of their skins, so yummy looking... lol

8 hours ago, shyc said:

And I hope you didn't eat them all by yourself! Looks like lots of food for 1 person. 

Food like this this need to go with nice dipping sauce:

Belachan chilli

- Handful of fresh Chillis, Bird's eye if you prefer heat. 

- about 1 tsp Belachan, lightly toasted on a dry pan. Amount can be increase depending on saltiness of Belachan.

- 4-5 Kaffir lime leaves, removing center hardy stalks

Pound the above to rough or smooth paste depending on your preference. 

Serve with freshly squeeze calamansi juice. Again amount depending on preference of thickness of Chilli you prefer.

You can also stuff Chilli in the belly of Ikan Kuning, than BBQ. Leaving the calamansi juice for squeezing on the piping hot BBQ fish.

Yes a good dipping sauce is essential. Luckily my sister-in-law who is a Thai made me some really superb chili sauce. It should've been bottled and sold in the supermarket. Was told that that the ingredients include the following :

Small green chili

Lime Juice

Sugar

Maltose

Salt

Parsley roots?

Fish sauce

This is what it looks like.

chilli_zpsydcdcufg.jpg

120px-Zoso.svg.png

7 hours ago, Friendly said:

Those prawn on the blue plate looks good... especially with those garlic topping.. and hey i have that same blue plate.. ha ha.

You can get these big prawns cheap here as they are now have a promo. I've also bought the even better lobster tails from them quite a number of times :

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/BEST-SELLER-GIGANTIC-SIZES-BLACK-TIGER-HEAD-ON-SHELL-ON-PRAWN/419689488

120px-Zoso.svg.png

7 hours ago, Guest Cooker said:

WOw some of them look like uncut dicks with the mushroom head peeping out of their skins, so yummy looking... lol

3 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Yes, everything looks long and juicy!:P

Oh yeah i remember hearing the sizzling sound they made while on the grill and eventually saw how the (fore)skin popped just like how one pulls it down. Young and old dicks for ya.

Sausages_zps6qdihgpx.jpg

120px-Zoso.svg.png

Guest Cooker
1 hour ago, angel_dust said:

Oh yeah i remember hearing the sizzling sound they made while on the grill and eventually saw how the (fore)skin popped just like how one pulls it down. Young and old dicks for ya.

You should get those cheese filled sausages/bratwurst, when the (fore)skin pops and the and the head splits open, the whitish cheese will ooze and flow out like...like..... :P

7 hours ago, angel_dust said:

You can get these big prawns cheap here as they are now have a promo. I've also bought the even better lobster tails from them quite a number of times :

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/BEST-SELLER-GIGANTIC-SIZES-BLACK-TIGER-HEAD-ON-SHELL-ON-PRAWN/419689488

Hmm.. i have always been wondering are they as fresh as those found in the wet market.. I never buy frozen seafood.. Being a fisherman son..lor.. 

9 hours ago, Guest Cooker said:

You should get those cheese filled sausages/bratwurst, when the (fore)skin pops and the and the head splits open, the whitish cheese will ooze and flow out like...like..... :P

I did before. They're like lava, burnt my tongue so i rather have something at normal body temperature. Just kiddin' :D

8 hours ago, lovehandle said:

you can bbq at your home? garden?

Yes i use portable grill.

4 hours ago, Friendly said:

Hmm.. i have always been wondering are they as fresh as those found in the wet market.. I never buy frozen seafood.. Being a fisherman son..lor.. 

Lucky you. Nothing beats fresh wild-caught seafood although these prawns taste decent. These are even better :

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/ICHEF-DEEP-SEA-WILD-RED-ARGENTINA-SHRIMPS-2KG/408730188

They just had a incredible promo on National Day - only $25 for 2kg!

120px-Zoso.svg.png

2 hours ago, Guest Cooker said:

There are disposable bbq grills available, small and convenient, comes with wood chips and all, remember seeing at Giant before.

burgers-cooking-on-a-disposable-barbecue

Tks for the info but the issue is nt all liked their indoor/hse to b smoky

7 hours ago, Guest Cooker said:

There are disposable bbq grills available, small and convenient, comes with wood chips and all, remember seeing at Giant before.

burgers-cooking-on-a-disposable-barbecue

Curious...are we allowed to use these in HDB corridors? Should be ok, right? After all, people burn incense during 7th month in corridors all the time...

13 hours ago, angel_dust said:

I did before. They're like lava, burnt my tongue so i rather have something at normal body temperature. Just kiddin' :D

Yes i use portable grill.

Lucky you. Nothing beats fresh wild-caught seafood although these prawns taste decent. These are even better :

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/ICHEF-DEEP-SEA-WILD-RED-ARGENTINA-SHRIMPS-2KG/408730188

They just had a incredible promo on National Day - only $25 for 2kg!

Yyes, I knew u must have physically grill them but it seemed like youngsters really bother to make purchases online!!!

How did you do the fritters prawn w Maggie mee? it is not by the real  jp tempura method right?
abit oily though

1 hour ago, Cube3 said:

Curious...are we allowed to use these in HDB corridors? Should be ok, right? After all, people burn incense during 7th month in corridors all the time...

corridor shd be ok, but again depends on what type

I rem I visited my frens private apt , their corridors are really very small

some corridors are so small, I will not want to fume and flame my neighbours esp some dry their clothings at the corridor

Some hdb corridors are the longish type

Erm,but isn't burning incense papers all done on a common area on the ground floor? w those containers provided?

Guest Cooker
3 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Erm, actually don't think can. Anyway one of my malay neighbour on the lower floor always throw BBQ get togethers at the corridor/lift lobby (its those two units left & right type of unit) and they would stink up the entire vertical stairways, lift car and corridors cos they smoke and drink. And they do heavy duty BBQing generating lots of smoke, worse HDB installed those louvers at the lift lobby blocking the flow of air. Thinking of reporting and complaining, nuisance to neighbours and a fire hazard.

8 hours ago, lovehandle said:

Tks for the info but the issue is nt all liked their indoor/hse to b smoky

If house got a laundry yard area where its well ventilated and doing light grilling should be ok bah, not like my neighbour's corridor parties.

On 8/15/2016 at 2:13 AM, angel_dust said:

Pork belly and smoked duck.

BBQ1_zpsrjxrauex.jpg

crab sticks and portobello mushrooms.

BBQ3_zpsdweq2ef8.jpg

Looks like you are preparing for a feast :o 
Why am i not invited ^_^

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

2 hours ago, Friendly said:

Cook this long beans and egg plants mix togather with salted fish,garlic pound with chilli and dry prawn. We first had this dish at Genting canton restaurant. Love it so I cook myself lor . 

image.jpeg

Lol I always end up asking questions cuz the pic seems to have some unmentioned 'secrets'. Besides eggplants there seem to be long, brown strips? Are they like tofu or something? - I always find eggplants a bit tricky to cook. Did you have to salt them for a while before frying? Any other prep secrets? :D

37 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

Lol I always end up asking questions cuz the pic seems to have some unmentioned 'secrets'. Besides eggplants there seem to be long, brown strips? Are they like tofu or something? - I always find eggplants a bit tricky to cook. Did you have to salt them for a while before frying? Any other prep secrets? :D

No secrets...The eggplants are cut long only,  just add some oyster sauce and water to cook it until they are soft..lor.

Edited by Friendly

7 hours ago, lovehandle said:

Yyes, I knew u must have physically grill them but it seemed like youngsters really bother to make purchases online!!!

How did you do the fritters prawn w Maggie mee? it is not by the real  jp tempura method right?
abit oily though

As a matter of fact i've been buying tons of stuff online almost on a daily basis, from food to bicycle to computers etc..cheap and saves time. Just bought this set for my mom and she's so happy :

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/PRO-DIAMOND-ECORAMIC-FRYPAN-5PCS-1PCS-GLASS-LID-1SET-COLORFUL/431480588?selectedOptions=

Got the breaded shrimps online as well. Was only $5.90 for 30 pcs just last week :

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/NEW-30-PCS-BREADED-SHRIMP-FROM-THE-BEST-SEAFOOD-WHOLESALER/485063412?selectedOptions=;

2 hours ago, ThePineapple said:

Looks like you are preparing for a feast :o 
Why am i not invited ^_^

Haha it's meant for 4 pax. You're staying too far away la.

120px-Zoso.svg.png

Guest Cooker
36 minutes ago, Friendly said:

Cook chicken rice with curry vegetables tonight for dinner. Did offer one BW member to join us but he pehsai lor.. Meeting some BW members for drinks after this dinner with bf. Life is great. Cheers 

peh si mi sai?

3 hours ago, Friendly said:

Sauce ah... Prawn paste,asam water,lime juice, chilli and a little sugar mix togather lor .. thats it.. 

kool, thats almost like a rojak sauce method.

i have this method by my domestic helper:

serving for 1

1 garlic

1 shallot

2-3 dried chillis, depending on how hot you prefer

1-2 kaffir leaves, removing centre hard stem

Quick fry the above with 1 tsp oil till fragrant.

Than pound till paste-like with handful of roasted peanut. 

The pounded paste can be kept in fridge till required. 

To use, dilute with warm water till consistency that you prefer. Add salt, sugar, calamansi and assam juice to taste.

Optional: few tsp of coconut cream for a richer flavour.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.