Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

7 hours ago, Cube3 said:

With the white carrot are almond pips i.e. 杏仁? Haven't come across that combo before...

yes look like 南杏北杏,just add in like condiments bah

but that reminds me why is the soup colour that dark? (even w pork ribs added in, it shouldn't be dark)

We don't encourage soy sauce and too saltish, too rich in taste like Hong kong style

2 hours ago, Friendly said:

No soy sauce is added, maybe it's the honey plum and wolf berries that makes the soup looks dark. I cook my soup in slow cooker lor.

Lol I shall try that one day... So far the white carrot soups I've done are the porkribs with orange/white carrots (good cleansers) and Japanese oden 黑轮 which stews the white carrot (actually, should call them turnips) or daikon in dashi. Time to add on to repertoire! :P

1 hour ago, Cube3 said:

Lol I shall try that one day... So far the white carrot soups I've done are the porkribs with orange/white carrots (good cleansers) and Japanese oden 黑轮 which stews the white carrot (actually, should call them turnips) or daikon in dashi. Time to add on to repertoire! :P

cube3:
May I ask
Where do u get fresh and good oden in Singapore?
they are not cheap in singapore

6 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

cube3:
May I ask
Where do u get fresh and good oden in Singapore?
they are not cheap in singapore

Do you mean oden as a dish? Then only can find in Japanese restaurants lor. Or do you mean the oden ingredients (it's like Japanese yong tau foo), in which case can buy frozen from Mediya, Liang Court, as a packet, then bring home and add to the white-carrot oden stew.

So far have not come across a really good oden restaurant...mostly make my own.

2 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

Do you mean oden as a dish? Then only can find in Japanese restaurants lor. Or do you mean the oden ingredients (it's like Japanese yong tau foo), in which case can buy frozen from Mediya, Liang Court, as a packet, then bring home and add to the white-carrot oden stew.

So far have not come across a really good oden restaurant...mostly make my own.

Yup I know wat s oden, and Indeed I called it like a jp yong tau hoo....

I when Ion Orch to eat oden from a restaurant (basement), but I don't like it, it totally didn't give me a feel of Japanese , it is so cheap at conbini's store ( 7 11) , yet so yummy

but I felt the taste was not the same feel from what I have ate in jp, it was such a let down

cos the jp restaurant in sg is so ex!

I agree w u!!!!!!!!!!! no restaurant can provide it....

is the mediya or isetan up to standard?

5 minutes ago, -Ignored- said:

I agree w u!!!!!!!!!!! no restaurant can provide it....

is the mediya or isetan up to standard?

Lol I think the oden soup is what makes it really special (yong tau foo items can add your own lor). So best to brew/stew your own - fresh and rich-tasting!:thumb:

3 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

Lol I think the oden soup is what makes it really special (yong tau foo items can add your own lor). So best to brew/stew your own - fresh and rich-tasting!:thumb:

so creative loh!!!!!!!!!!
Pls stew and show me leh, is your soup version really the Japanese recipe?

I m drooling now just thinking of buying oden at a Japan's convenience store and then walk out to face the harsh and cold air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I luv that squishy beige (w brown pore/holes) thing - I hope meidiya or isetan sell it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!but I dislike the grey konyaku thingy

Oden fr jp.jpg

oden.jpg

5 hours ago, Cube3 said:

This oden recipe is quite good. I'd usually simplify on the 'yong tao foo' items, though, cuz it's just so much to eat! :P

http://www.justonecookbook.com/oden/

Oh, u followed Namiko too, I watched her videos too

anyway, I m not sure why they luv the  konnyaku (my nightmare) but I liked all the beancurd, tau pok kind...........

actually (from Namiko's version) and what I have seen in japan, there is no chicken wing, I m not sure why the jp restaurant in sg, put in the chicken wing(refer to the black bowl above)
Did u really put in mirin?as well as the Katsuobushi (Hanakatsuo/Bonito Flakes)?

10 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Thought to experiment a little...Amaranth-beetroot-chickpea wrapping longbean-egg mix (not very visible), topped with sausage-onion tomato sauce and mozarella cheese. I must confess: from leftovers...but tasty, can eat. :P

5BW.jpg

Very English to me lor.. Looks good for morning breadfast kind of thing to eat.

12 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Thought to experiment a little...Amaranth-beetroot-chickpea wrapping longbean-egg mix (not very visible), topped with sausage-onion tomato sauce and mozarella cheese. I must confess: from leftovers...but tasty, can eat. :P

5BW.jpg

cube 3
U sure u r not a chef?
anyway, very western style

2 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

cube 3
U sure u r not a chef?
anyway, very western style

Lol looks like, right? But just display la...Had egg fried with longbeans leftover. Then also this exotic wrap made of amaranth, beetroot and chickpea (that's why pink colour). Put some tomato paste, sliced sausages, onions into mini slow-cooker to thicken into sauce. When ready, assemble: sandwich the longbean-egg with wrap, pour sauce on top. Then top with mozarella and shove into grill. When ready, sprinkle with dried parsley.

At the end, kitchen still clean. :D

I m sorry, I don't meant to judge ...somehow, (not ref to cube3), I felt those chubby ones and then w a sense of cooking flair, very likely is a chef

Goodness,  I don't even know what is amaranth, beetroot : yes for sure, but a very western choice

Anyway, at one point, be it you are chef or not, all desired to cook egg benedict, the hollandaise sauce is the challenge and there is even an egg benedict DAY for that!!!

I didn't know Cube3 learnt the ajar from Friendly LIVE somemore....

When is bw going to organise a cooking session for all? Yes, just about food learning nia (for those who have been following me since day one, at one I removed all followers as I m being challenged in bw, so sorry for that)
Not going to care whether is it dinner or lunch or bfast, so long the session is about food learning ie cooking tips etc (not so much of a party, but really food learning and then get to try a bit , party means a lot of food, so it is not a party concept)
It is so fun learning cooking * yes, I have been paying and attending classes using the funds (if u followed one of my thread on the skills funds) , but it s so fun just to play w food

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wish I live alone now.......Or any chefs here can loan us their professional kitchen for a few hours???
I m sure there are chefs here (or use to be a chef), even I.......i......(I cannot divulge any further, if not, will be used against me)
Yes location, location: centralised location is a must....

Tried out new recipe for Hunter's Chicken, a Sicilian dish - Pollo alla Cacciatora. Not too difficult, can use up leftover red wine, and quite yum... Link to recipe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=5MCjC3vd-sA&gl=SG

A bit lazy though, so simplified a couple of steps...still, very tasty!

Hunter's chicken.jpg

13 hours ago, Cube3 said:

What are the orange-coloured chunks...? Carrots? In Friendly's achar, they've been cut into thin sticks, so the texture is more typical of what is found in achar...

There are carrots, pineapples, lettuces... Personally, I prefer thick strips, so that you can still feel the crunchiness and the juice in them even after soaking for days/weeks. If they're too thin, the rich spices will over cover their taste too. Just my personal opinion! Maybe it's a closed up shot! :)

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 9:45 AM, Cube3 said:

What are the orange-coloured chunks...? Carrots? In Friendly's achar, they've been cut into thin sticks, so the texture is more typical of what is found in achar...

peanuts? did I saw beige col peanuts,

It cannot be garlic - so large chunk!

5 minutes ago, Cube3 said:

On the eve of President Trump's victory...cheese and ham pasta, accompanied by feta, kailan and red pepper tapa. Tomorrow will be a different world!:doh:

pasta.jpg

Lol:lol:

will still take a while for the big waves to hit the shores.

2 hours ago, Cube3 said:

On the eve of President Trump's victory...cheese and ham pasta, accompanied by feta, kailan and red pepper tapa. Tomorrow will be a different world!:doh:

pasta.jpg

eeeeeeeeeeeeee cube 3 and syhc, u really supported him?????? my appetite is lost

6 hours ago, Friendly said:

What is red pepper tapa.. ? Never heard of it before don say eat them..lor he he

Tapa is a spanish appetiser/small dish. The peppers are stuffed with meat then stewed in tomato sauce. I sprinkled pepper and sesame seed on top...the authentic version uses partridge meat! Rather European taste la...but goes well with pasta.

5 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

u really supported him???

Just saw it coming, I guess... Super Hollywood.:whistle:

6 hours ago, Friendly said:

Yes there are two soup because i did say we had a friend for dinner so bf gave him a separate bowl lor.. and yes they are herbs soup but i don know the names of the herbs.. he he.

Alamak don't know the herbs how to cook? Please explain...unless soup not cooked by you lol. :doh:

12 hours ago, Friendly said:

Just buy ready pack herbs.. or i look at the herbs i know what to do with it  lor.. he he

If not too much bother, can share what brand etc.? Pic of pack will be helpful...lol. But it's ok if troublesome. I'm a curious cook!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.