Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

20 hours ago, Friendly said:

Cook Tom Yum soup for dinner last night, sotong not cheap in wet market Lor, I add milk for my Tom Yum which a North Thai Chef taught me . Very Shiok Lor ..

IMG_4092.JPG

Tom yam soup with milk?! Exotic...must try see what it's like. Now, must go look for lime leaves...

Mother and father went to an overseas conference. Brother went for vacation. I'm left for dead at home but I ain't gonna die!

Whipped up a Korean meal (authenticity yet to be confirmed) and here's the menu:

20161213_192916 (1).jpg

Pork belly and radish stir-fried with Gochujang (고추장) and sesame oil

Korean soy bean paste soup (된장국) with tofu, radish, and pork belly.

• I'm using bean paste from HaeChanDle (해찬들) that I got from FairPrice Hub @ Joo Koon. I've been to several FairPrice but fail to find it there.

Can't leave out the Kimchi (맛김치) and rice! Outside of picture is a cup of peach flavored rice wine (막걸리).

4 minutes ago, knittinguy said:

Mother and father went to an overseas conference. Brother went for vacation. I'm left for dead at home but I ain't gonna die!

Whipped up a Korean meal (authenticity yet to be confirmed) and here's the menu:

• I'm using bean paste from HaeChanDle (해찬들) that I got from FairPrice Hub @ Joo Koon. I've been to several FairPrice but fail to find it there.

Can't leave out the Kimchi (맛김치) and rice! Outside of picture is a cup of peach flavored rice wine (막걸리).

no wonder the colours looked of the same tone

if mum is around, would she let u step into the kitchen?

5 hours ago, knittinguy said:

20161213_192916 (1).jpg

Healthy and sumptuous, a hearty meal!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, knittinguy said:

This was last night dinner. Pan-seared Scallops and Stir-fried Broccoli and Mushrroms.

knitting,

u  cooked this by yourself? not bad woh can knit and cook! and can feel that u r a very tidy person, even a plate of rice also needs effort in the plating

13 hours ago, -Ignored- said:

knitting,

u  cooked this by yourself? not bad woh can knit and cook! and can feel that u r a very tidy person, even a plate of rice also needs effort in the plating

Hehe, yup cook this by myself. Thanks :P

13 hours ago, RYdetime said:

Is that kimchi on the side?

Yup!

14 hours ago, Friendly said:

Scallops is nice I also just bought 1kg 

FairPrice right :D Got discount.

I always love home cook food.

I've been lazy to cooksince I came back from Melbourne... Lol. I have to learn my Peranakan cooking when I'm there. Good thing I was in Melbourne. Can get most Chinese food stuff due to the Vietnamese community there.

I did nyonya laksa, char tau kuey black, and many others. I had nice adventure exploring when I was there. Even baked the infamous kueh lapis too! Lol

I can only help those who wants to be helped.

Blessed Be

17 minutes ago, Stormfire said:

I can't seem to upload my picture and it did not exceed the amount... :(

alternatively, u can upload into your photo sharing site and attach the link url here.

21 hours ago, knittinguy said:

dinner.thumb.jpg.373e94d99a9cfe88c15fa0a5efce4209.jpg

Last night dinner :)

Udon in chicken broth with pork belly and xiao bai cai

I used Heinz chicken broth; simmered with the "white end" of spring onions, 当归 (Angelica root),  玉竹 (Solomon seal root), and pork belly together.

love the white end of spring onions. i would use tenderloin of pork instead.

3 hours ago, RYdetime said:

love the white end of spring onions. i would use tenderloin of pork instead.

I've never heard of this trick to use white ends of spring onions. Wonder what's the flavour like? I know coriander roots with curries, and would be great if can find some use for spring onion white ends... - So its eaten too,in the soup, not thrown away?

On 18/02/2017 at 1:58 PM, RYdetime said:

i find the best part of a stalk of spring onion isn't the green but the white end of it. So much more fragrant and flavour.

On 18/02/2017 at 0:55 PM, Cube3 said:

I've never heard of this trick to use white ends of spring onions. Wonder what's the flavour like? I know coriander roots with curries, and would be great if can find some use for spring onion white ends... - So its eaten too,in the soup, not thrown away?

Yup! You get more flavour from the stalks than from the greeny parts.

On 27/02/2017 at 4:07 PM, Levis said:

Just stumbled upon this thread. Had similar interests of cooking my own dinners once in a while when I feel like it. Made this Korean grilled squid recently for the first time. Haha, Sorry, lighting wasn't good.

Grilled Squid (Korean Style).jpg

So, what did you use for the dark sauce...? Oyster sauce, or...? What makes this squid Korean? :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Cube3 said:

So, what did you use for the dark sauce...? Oyster sauce, or...? What makes this squid Korean? :rolleyes:

The sauce is a simplified version of what the Korean uses to BBQ food. Mixture of Korean chili paste, honey, sesame oil, light soy sauce, and other seasonings.

15 hours ago, Levis said:

The sauce is a simplified version of what the Korean uses to BBQ food. Mixture of Korean chili paste, honey, sesame oil, light soy sauce, and other seasonings.

And this sauce is applied before grilling? Yum, must give this a try!

• 2 months later...
On 3/1/2017 at 3:27 PM, Cube3 said:

It looks so good, sure need to eat with rice right? I am back here ones again.. will share what i cook for bf dinner lor.

Edited by Friendly

Guest Poster
17 minutes ago, Balestier said:

I air fry my chicken fillet and its plain n dry. any suggestions to add flavours ??

There's a bit of articles recently on brining chicken, supposedly retains moisture and adds flavour, you might wanna give that a try.

1 hour ago, Swisse said:

her recipe sounds great.. until u see her pictures... HORROR!! a strand of hair!!!

That's part of the garnish :P Hope its not from the armpit.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.