Male HQ

Cooking Your Own Dinner?

Indeed that fish had thousand and one bones but the flesh is rather sweet tasting. Used to be a childhood fave in our house. Simply crispy fried like you but serve with a small dish of dark soya sauce with a smash up red chilli as dipping sauce.

3 hours ago, shyc said:

Indeed that fish had thousand and one bones but the flesh is rather sweet tasting. Used to be a childhood fave in our house. Simply crispy fried like you but serve with a small dish of dark soya sauce with a smash up red chilli as dipping sauce.

Um, what is the name of this fish?

7 hours ago, shyc said:

We like to add lots of lime into that small dish of dark soya sauce with red chilli padi . As for the name of that fish have to go back to my sister to ask lor. Many fishes  has  dilects or  malay name. Common ones i can remember but those rare ones which are not always available in our wet market today are forgotten. 

I am off today, going to the Kovan wet market to see got Gong Gong to buy or not. Cooking porridge for lunch.. My bf and me can eat 2kg of Gong Gong he he... 

7 hours ago, Friendly said:

We like to add lots of lime into that small dish of dark soya sauce with red chilli padi . As for the name of that fish have to go back to my sister to ask lor. Many fishes  has  dilects or  malay name. Common ones i can remember but those rare ones which are not always available in our wet market today are forgotten. 

I am off today, going to the Kovan wet market to see got Gong Gong to buy or not. Cooking porridge for lunch.. My bf and me can eat 2kg of Gong Gong he he... 

Gonggong is a kind of mini-conch delicacy. I try to cook these but always end up over cooking and the freshness of the seafood is lost. May I ask, again, Friendly, how to cook so that it's not overcooked? Say, steam for 2 mins is it?

Never buy frozen gong gong always buy live ones from wet market.. and never put the gong gong in water and boil.. My dad..taught me how to cook  gong gong.. Its a live sea shell..so you need to boil some water.. make sure the water is boiling hot and throw in the gong gong , cover the pot and let it boil for one minute and off the fire. Remove immediately from the water and its good to eat.. I like to dip it in chilli padi pound with garlic and add a little plum paste... Love it..

On 28 August 2016 at 6:33 AM, Cube3 said:

Um, what is the name of this fish?

Sorry it slipped off my mind and my attempt to search it the whole nite failed. Haven't had this for years and it totally gone off my mind till I saw @Friendly photo. Have to wait for him to ask his sister for the answer.

However, did find this along the way, maybe some of you might be keen.

http://deserteaglesays.blogspot.sg/2011/12/names-of-common-singapore-fish-in_9777.html

9 hours ago, shyc said:

Sorry it slipped off my mind and my attempt to search it the whole nite failed. Haven't had this for years and it totally gone off my mind till I saw @Friendly photo. Have to wait for him to ask his sister for the answer.

However, did find this along the way, maybe some of you might be keen.

http://deserteaglesays.blogspot.sg/2011/12/names-of-common-singapore-fish-in_9777.html

9 hours ago, Swisse said:

Possibly Ikan Parang

Wow what a superb table for referencing, thanks guys!

4 hours ago, Cube3 said:

Thank you! Will research more...

My attempt last night didn't yield much. Knowing that it is from the eel family only helped solved my puzzle mind why i had never seems to remember what the head and tail looks like cos all the years of eating it is always that same mid section on @Friendly plate. @Cube3 do share if you find more info. Thanks in advance.

Now that i recall i have seen the whole fish many times during my childhood when my dad brings back many fishes from his share catch. The head of eel well it has a thousand teeths and its tail is like a leaf so for what i know no one eat them.. as in the wet martket they are chop off and throw away.. So what we see in the wet markets are only the pics of meat of this fish lor.:pimp:

When out for dinner with some bw friends and almost cry when came back bf told me he cook rice,fry egg and ate his dinner with peanut and banana.. I hate myself.. Will cook something better for dinner tonight.. he he

Edited by Friendly

8 hours ago, Friendly said:

...bf told me he cook rice,fry egg and ate his dinner with peanut and banana.. I hate myself.. Will cook something better for dinner tonight.. he he

Hmm your BF have 'interesting' taste. :doh: for a fast meal I think I just rather do a pot of instant noodle. Actually, I am sure your fridge would have stored fried Chilli of some sort. He could have mixed and peanut. Than add a bit of coconut cream to the rice and have Nasi Lemak instead. Banana can be an after meal dessert with ice cream, sprinkle with chopped chocolate. ;)

1 hour ago, shyc said:

Hmm your BF have 'interesting' taste. :doh: for a fast meal I think I just rather do a pot of instant noodle. Actually, I am sure your fridge would have stored fried Chilli of some sort. He could have mixed and peanut. Than add a bit of coconut cream to the rice and have Nasi Lemak instead. Banana can be an after meal dessert with ice cream, sprinkle with chopped chocolate. ;)

Fast meal... Spaghetti with prawns, garlic butter + herbs :) for me haha 
easy and yummy ! (both cold and hot)

approval.png.5049b8bf793949ee27c5a7e76f11054d.png

He he lovehandle this forum is about Cooking your own dinner and that happens to be what i do during my off day lor. Been cooking dinner for my bf for the pass 6 years now, yes how time flys.. And btw as for other house work my bf does quite abit around lor.. Cheers.

https://www.quora.com/In-what-ways-are-Lao-Cambodian-and-Burmese-food-different-from-other-SE-Asian-cuisines

Quote from http://www.myanmars.net/myanmar-food/:

"Myanmar food may be ranked between Chinese and Thai food. Let's say Myanmar food is a bit richer than Chinese food, and less spicy than Thai food. Yes, this answer may be close."

Edited by shyc
Correction and additional info

2 hours ago, shyc said:

https://www.quora.com/In-what-ways-are-Lao-Cambodian-and-Burmese-food-different-from-other-SE-Asian-cuisines

Quote from http://www.myanmars.net/myanmar-food/:

"Myanmar food may be ranked between Chinese and Thai food. Let's say Myanmar food is a bit richer than Chinese food, and less spicy than Thai food. Yes, this answer may be close."

Lol wow myanmars.net has so many unusual recipes. Will try them out tks! :D

1 hour ago, Cube3 said:

Lol wow myanmars.net has so many unusual recipes. Will try them out tks! :D

in that case you also need to try making thai food so to compare.

https://www.eatingthaifood.com/category/thai-recipes/

happy trying...:whistle:

For me i  i love cooking and knows my bf appreciate anything i cook. 4 days a week i myself have to work 12 hours per day that means eating lunch and dinner outside food.. So every off day i would like to have some home cook.. and i am just sharing what i know. Anyone who  see what i cook for dinner and am interested can always PM me and i am happy to tell how to cook them. Food does bring ppl togather.. lor.

Edited by Friendly

3 hours ago, Friendly said:

BBQ stringray for dinner tonight. Fresh fish from wet market is really not cheap. Bought this 400g of ray meat for $7. I wonder how much will it cost if eat this outside lor. 

IMG_2700.JPG

Oooh so what do you use for the sauce to flavour the stingray? - Is it true, stingray just barbecue then no need to worry about the bones, can just eat?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.