Male HQ

Swimmers club

begleitung

15 minutes ago, axefactor said:

Depends on what you want to get from the maximising. If your goal is to lose weight then swimming harder and faster will lead to that. If you wanna just enjoy your session...even slow swimming can be consider maximising your swim time.

How about... maximizing time with you @axefactor?

Teehee~

Edited by notd

On 1/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, axefactor said:

Depends on what you want to get from the maximising. If your goal is to lose weight then swimming harder and faster will lead to that. If you wanna just enjoy your session...even slow swimming can be consider maximising your swim time.

Thks. Did u get that hott body from swimming?

3 minutes ago, genjake2349 said:

Terrible too. I wanted to swim in the afternoon, but heavy rains and thunderstorms is a downer. 

And the water is chilling after a rain.

I was so elated when the lanes was so empty when I reached the pool. Would have been perfect if it had rained much later. The water was fine once I started swimming as my body started getting used to the chilly water.

32 minutes ago, davlim76 said:

Sheltered/indoor pools are usually colder even if its a sunny day. I find i swim faster in colder water, probably to get myself warmed up haha.

Yes, I ever went to the Sengkang sheltered pool. Even on a hot day the water was very cold due to less people using it and also the water wasn't heated by the sunlight. But I do agree that cold water makes you swim faster and also harder. The good thing about it is that you burn more calories faster :D

Looks like another wet day to disrupt any planned day of swimming.

Went to the pool on early Saturday morning (7.45am slot) and it was packed like crazy. I literally saw a snaking queue for shower when the lifeguard shooed everyone off the pool at 8.30am. Thankfully I stayed nearby so I simply changed to go back to shower/

I like cold pools too. I feel like my body works harder in colder temperatures. OCBC one is relatively controlled well, and probably designed for competitive swimming. (Water temperature is frequently monitored at swimming competitions and the swim is suspended if the temperature goes above a certain level.)

5 hours ago, davlim76 said:

But the good thing about sheltered pools is that you can still swim even when its raining, I assume they do at Active Sg pools?

Nope...the covered pool at Sengkang is interconnected with the open one so if there is a lightning risk, no one is allow to swim in the sheltered pool.

On 1/10/2021 at 12:38 PM, repressednerd said:

Went to the pool on early Saturday morning (7.45am slot) and it was packed like crazy. I literally saw a snaking queue for shower when the lifeguard shooed everyone off the pool at 8.30am. Thankfully I stayed nearby so I simply changed to go back to shower/

Whr did they have such hardworking lifeguards?

I've been trying to get back into swimming ever since I dropped in primary school (and to also lose the pounds >3>).

But the sad thing is I can only do breaststroke, cause I forgot a lot of the strokes that I learnt. And I'm too paiseh to ask others to teach me haha.

12 minutes ago, XanderS said:

I've been trying to get back into swimming ever since I dropped in primary school (and to also lose the pounds >3>).

But the sad thing is I can only do breaststroke, cause I forgot a lot of the strokes that I learnt. And I'm too paiseh to ask others to teach me haha.

Go get a coach. You will learn faster.

Was wondering if anyone could enlighten me. I do breast-stroke but I'm really slow compare to others. Usually when I'm halfway, everyone either reach the other side or is swimming back. Is this just stamina issue?

Also, i always have this 'snapping' sound/effect on my right shoulder when ever i swim. Sometimes it hurt but most of the time it doesn't. Any reason why?

5 hours ago, darkice said:

Was wondering if anyone could enlighten me. I do breast-stroke but I'm really slow compare to others. Usually when I'm halfway, everyone either reach the other side or is swimming back. Is this just stamina issue?

Also, i always have this 'snapping' sound/effect on my right shoulder when ever i swim. Sometimes it hurt but most of the time it doesn't. Any reason why?

Wrong technique.

On 1/15/2021 at 5:16 PM, darkice said:

Could also keep in mind to keep your body parallel 
Otherwise your lower body will give you too much drag when swimming

12 hours ago, kidster said:

Does anyone know how to overcome the problem of bringing your head up to breathe while swimming breaststroke?

Not sure is it due to my stiff neck or wrong technique  

You mean you experience pain/ache when you tilt your chin forward to breathe when coming out of the water?

I’d suggest the following:

Stand straight and picture a straight line from the top of your head down to the spine.

In the water, as you pull your arms and hands backwards, lift both your head and upper body naturally (while maintaining that straight line) and keep your head close to the water surface while inhaling, looking diagonally downward towards the floor.

Head rotation warm-up exercises may help too.

A licensed gay realtor

12 hours ago, sayfirst said:

You mean you experience pain/ache when you tilt your chin forward to breathe when coming out of the water?

no pain. just hard to lift my head up to breathe. tends to use too much of my upper body strength to lift my head which is counter effective because I end up not relax and have problem floating flat on water.

20 hours ago, repressednerd said:

Somehow I really liked the pool last week. Sun was shining but water was still cool because of the monsoon weather. Found that I swam more efficiently.

Yes, swimming in cold water makes you less fatigued especially if you go for long sessions. I recalled sometime back I did some training sessions at OCBC for a few months and then when I switched back to the public pools, the water felt so warm that I found myself dragging through the water.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:59 PM, kidster said:

no pain. just hard to lift my head up to breathe. tends to use too much of my upper body strength to lift my head which is counter effective because I end up not relax and have problem floating flat on water.

Probably technique. When your arms pull back from front to sides, pull the palms closer to the chest.

On 1/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, axefactor said:

The shower area in the competitive pool is much bigger but I'm not too sure whether you are allowed to access it if you have chosen the training pool to swim

Yup ... it's huge. Used to be able to pre-COVID. Not sure about now. I used to finish my swim, grab my stuff from the training pool locker, and head for the larger shower area.

1 hour ago, ejszaka said:

Yup ... it's huge. Used to be able to pre-COVID. Not sure about now. I used to finish my swim, grab my stuff from the training pool locker, and head for the larger shower area.

i've not gone to OCBC for the longest time since they opened the pool for swimming. I stopped after meeting up with a friend to swim there at about 10am and upon reaching the pool, found a long queue. Decided that it wasn't worth waiting. Based on experience, majority of people who swim there are really good swimmers and they will spend a fair bit of time training. The good thing about it is that you are not allowed to stick to the side of the pool and soak like what you see at public pools.

So you must be quite a good swimmer too. :)

I'm a newbie into swimming and learned DIY so it's not really good. I am just doing breast stroke now and very slow. I usually drag down after taking a breathe so I need to pull up a stroke and go up the surface of water before taking my next breathe. Anyway I can improve? 

8 hours ago, mesmerizedglobal said:

I'm a newbie into swimming and learned DIY so it's not really good. I am just doing breast stroke now and very slow. I usually drag down after taking a breathe so I need to pull up a stroke and go up the surface of water before taking my next breathe. Anyway I can improve? 

Breaststroke mimics a frog's swimming style and is not difficult to pick up. Like any other style, we need to be in a relaxed mode, to begin with. Our two hind legs kick and push up like a frog would, our body must be straightened, our arms in a clasping position under the chin spread out in a circular motion while pushing up and forward to resurface and breathe with our mouth. We dip back into the water and repeat the steps. Hope this will help 🏊‍♂️

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.